The Dark Knight

Started by MacGuffin, September 28, 2005, 01:34:06 PM

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on July 31, 2006, 02:39:06 PM
It's funny that they're talking about Ledger not being a lock because I've heard that Dennis Leary was actually being considered despite what they're saying about Ledger.

I hope that's not the case.  I like Denis Leary, and he's very, very good at playing "Denis Leary" characters, but I don't think he's enough of a real actor to pull off a role like that.  He does look the part, though.

So is Adrien Brody busy?  Have they even talked to him?  Doesn't Chris Nolan know a good idea when I tell it to him?
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Quote from: polkablues on July 31, 2006, 06:10:09 PM
I hope that's not the case.  I like Denis Leary, and he's very, very good at ...nothing

I hope not too.. he's  a shit bucket and his no talent Bill Hicks ripoff ass deserves dick-all

MacGuffin

Batman Sequel Title Announced
And Warners confirms Joker casting.

Warner Bros. has announced the title of the next film in the Batman franchise. The Dark Knight will be the name of the Chris Nolan-directed flick. And the studio confirms that Heath Ledger will play the role of The Joker. An official press release is expected on Tuesday, so watch for more news!

The confirmation comes after rumors had begun to circulate online that Ledger was reluctant to sign on to play The Clown Prince of Crime.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ledger and The Dark Knight!
Source: Latino Review

As a follow up to last year's blockbuster Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama Memento, which he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller Insomnia, starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on The Prestige, with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

Bale was most recently seen in the ensemble cast of Terrence Malick's The New World. His other credits include Little Women, Portrait of a Lady, Metroland, American Psycho, Laurel Canyon and Steven Spielberg's Empire of the Sun, which was his first starring role.

Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama Brokeback Mountain. His other credits include Casanova, Monster's Ball, Lords of Dogtown, The Brothers Grimm and The Patriot.

"Chris' unique vision is what made Batman Begins such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of The Dark Knight," said Robinov. "We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker."

"I'm excited to continue the story we started with Batman Begins," added Nolan. "Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

the title is the best thing ever.  unless they do something stupid like add Batman II: before it or something.  i guess that helps to swallow the bitter pill that is ledgers official casting news.  i really really really hope he can pull this off.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

don't you wish the jokey-joke role went to this guy:

MacGuffin

Exclusive: Bale's Take on The Dark Knight
Source: Filmfocus.com.uk

It's become so overdone now that we might be getting bored if only it weren't such a treat; Christian Bale delivers another stunning performance in another five-star production when Harsh Times arrives in UK cinemas on August 8th.

And so it was that we saw ourselves chatting excitedly with Bale himself as part of a big interview feature which'll be on the site next week. But we couldn't keep this part quiet, much as we couldn't stop ourselves from asking the questions. With the announcement this week that the title of Chris Nolan's Batman Begins sequel would be The Dark Knight and with the even more exciting announcement that Heath "He's So Hot Right Now" Ledger would be tackling the Joker, we just had to get Bale's take on events.

"I just love that title," Bale told FilmFocus, "You know, nothing's written in stone yet, but I like, very much, that it doesn't have 'Batman' written in the title. This take on Batman of mine and Chris' is very different from any of the others and everything else always had Batman in the title. I think this is kind-of distancing it even further and saying, 'Hey, this is a whole different creature from what has come before.'"

Much as Ledger is a wildly different choice for the Joker; in Tim Burton's 1989 version the role went to The Smile himself, Jack Nicholson. "Absolutely," Bale told us, "Heath is very much into what Chris had done with the first one and he's very passionate about the role. And he's a really good actor so we're going to see something very special from him."

And what of the status of the project at the moment? Can Bale drop any hints? "You know what, you're going to get people coming out and shooting you in the head any second if you keep asking anymore Batman questions," Bale joked. Or, at least, we hope he did. "I'm learning about it right now; Chris and I have only just finished working on The Prestige together and I have another project before we start on Batman. I know I'm in very good hands and Chris is keeping me informed about what's going on. But more than that and I'll be whisked away in a loony van, you know, off to Arkham Asylum!"

Bale also told us that his partnership with Nolan, which'll have extended to three features by the time The Dark Knight hits cinemas, is based on a solid working relationship. "As long as it's a good working relationship," he told us, "that's all that matters. But Chris is the director I've worked with more than anyone else and what's nice, when you do come to understand each other, is you do get this common language so you really don't have to speak a whole lot; often too much talking just kind-of ruins everything. And it's nice when you know the way someone works anyway and you don't have to break that ice at all. It was a very lucky thing for me when I met Chris and became part of his circle of filmmaking."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: pozeR on August 04, 2006, 05:25:58 PM
don't you wish the jokey-joke role went to this guy:

nah i was hoping:

under the paving stones.

Pozer

RegularKarate

Quote from: pozeR on August 05, 2006, 04:51:46 PM
touché

pozeR: Hey man, you got change for a ten?

Man on street: No, sorry, all I have is a five

pozeR: touché

Man on street: ????

Pozer

hedwig

Quote from: RegularKarate on August 05, 2006, 05:30:49 PM
Quote from: pozeR on August 05, 2006, 04:51:46 PM
touché

pozeR: Hey man, you got change for a ten?

Man on street: No, sorry, all I have is a five

pozeR: touché

Man on street: ????

he's no walrus..

Quote from: Walrus on September 25, 2003, 03:34:27 PM
Touche.
Quote from: Walrus on December 13, 2004, 12:55:46 PM
Touche.
Quote from: Walrus on July 01, 2005, 12:25:13 PM
Touche.
Quote from: Walrus on September 06, 2005, 03:48:05 PM
Touche.
Quote from: Walrus on January 07, 2004, 03:25:17 PM
Touche.
Quote from: Walrus on January 28, 2005, 06:01:28 PM
Touche.
Quote from: Walrus on September 05, 2005, 02:13:08 PM
Touche.

plus, anybody who reads larry david interviews already knows the truth about that wicked, wicked word:

Laugh Factory: I thought the genius was that [Seinfeld] was a show about nothing.
Larry David: C'mon baby, get hip. That was last year.
Laugh Factory: Touche.
Larry David: Damn! I wanted to say touche. It's a great way to make someone think they said something clever even if you don't mean it. If someone says to you, "Why don't you go fuck yourself," you simply respond, "Touche," and you're out of there.
Laugh Factory: I get the feeling I'm wearing out my welcome.
Larry David: Touche.

Pozer

tou·ché (tū-shā')
interj.
Used to acknowledge a hit in fencing or a successful criticism or an effective point in argument.

i think my first touché worked.  i displayed some wardrobe, p said this would look better, and i acknowledged his better choice.     

Derek

Sick Title. Ledger's is a bit of left field casting, which only makes this whole thing more interesting to me. He can't top Nicholson,I think his Joker will be a little lesstheatrical and more lethal.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Does it piss anyone else off that 99 out of 100 people who quote that line quote it wrong?
My house, my rules, my coffee