M. Night Shyamalan's The Village

Started by European Son, May 21, 2003, 10:07:35 PM

MacGuffin

New poster (sorry about the small size):

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

that new trailer's pretty badass.

picolas

Quote from: Pedrothat new trailer's pretty badass.
if by that you mean the ass of that new trailer is pretty bad, then i agree.

NEON MERCURY

...m.night. shamalangadingdong's films are unique in that people only care about the ending.....he is the embodiement of a cliched twist ending.....

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURY...m.night. shamalangadingdong's films are unique in that people only care about the ending.....he is the embodiement of a cliched twist ending.....
i dont think so.  theres a lot of cool stuff going on in his movies, before thte ending.  just watch his camera placement.
Quote from: GhostboyI love that new trailer, and I really, really hope that a.) the ending that got leaked is handled a lot better than it sounds or b.) that the plan all along was to leak a fake ending and actually shoot it, all to disguise the REAL ending, which they're shooting now.
please god, i hope you're right because i think i accidentally spoiled it for myself on this site.  extreme spoilers of THIS kind should always be 'swipe to read'.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

Quote from: themodernage02just watch his camera placement.
iiii find it to be mostly textbook.

Pubrick

Quote from: picolas
'mostly' being the operative word.. his shots are like his stories, uninteresting after a couple of viewings. and in the case of Signs, uninteresting before the end of one.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

M. Knight will hopefully be FORCED to make a great film someday.

His formula and ego are killing him right now.  He'll start to be laughed at soon.  But he has potential.

Villiage will probably be exactly like Signs.  He'll be following the tradition he's set up.  After he does the Villiage, he'll do a 5th movie that changes the formula just enough to not be the same thing three times in a row.  Then he'll do a 6th that's exactly like the 5th. AABBCC... once he gets to the D movies, people will get tired enough of it that he'll have to change. At this point, he will hopefully matured enough to give us something great.

modage

Quote from: picolas
well, as long as the textbook is HOW TO SHOOT A COOL LOOKING MOVIE.
Quote from: RegularKarateM. Knight will hopefully be FORCED to make a great film someday. His formula and ego are killing him right now.  He'll start to be laughed at soon.  But he has potential.
yeah i agree.  i couldnt stand him for a long time after the sixth sense, which at the time i thought was okay, got huge and so did his ego.  he just sounded like such a dick in every interview, and when it was nominated for best picture i was just like 'okay, done with him'.  but after unbreakable underperformed (for him) i was able to put aside my bias and just enjoy his films for what they are.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

His shots, by themselves, may indeed be textbook (I'd point to some of the long reveal shots in Signs as evidence to the contrary, but I digress); but the way he uses them to move the narrative along is fantastic -- a model of economic storytelling. I'm in the minority, I guess, when I say that Signs is a brilliantly directed film (moreso than the others), the nadir of the style he developed with the previous two. Hopefully, The Village won't be too much of a retread -- and after that, he's doing Life Of Pi (or so I hear), which from what I understand is about as different from his previous films as he can get.

Pedro

unbreakable's still the best, bitches

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pedrounbreakable's still the best, bitches

..i agree with you bitch........... 8)
..six sense get old and the 'i see dead people' sh*t got old real fast.........then i   gots tired of hearing 'the twist" , "oh my gosh, the twist"..........lil haley is annoying to look at ..he has not aged gracefully like fred savage has.............i really hates 6 since.......but i like unbreakable it got mad replay value solid acting ............it appeals to comic geeks, it appeals to people who like mystery/thrillers, it appeals to people who like twist emdings....., it got the best music /score for a m. night shamalang film and its got the best cinematography.........

sings was rather stupid and ....in fact if youi can actually force yourself to watch this trash agian you will notice the cheese factor is high...but the ending will blow you aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

bonanzataz

yeah. signs definitely loses something on video. i was blown away in theaters and had to turn it off at home i was so underwhelmed (an utter waste of $10). yes, m night should lose his standard twist ending or it will start to cheapen his movies.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ravi

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/tv.html

The Sci Fi Channel was thrilled last fall when filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan ("The Sixth Sense") agreed to open his latest project, "The Village," to a documentary crew. But then it all went sour. Shyamalan quit on-screen and an expected benign profile has become the three-hour expose The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan, scheduled to air on the cable station on July 18th. While Shyamalan said last December that he hoped the project would "demystify some of the mysteries of the filmmaking experience," documentary filmmakers Nathaniel Kahn and Callum Greene instead focused their attentions on the filmmaker himself. According to Greene, he began to go off the "suggested" list of friends to speak to and contacted others in Shyamalan's life. The filmmaker was angered by the personal nature of what they were asking and slowly his cooperation dried up, Greene said. "We saw that as a challenge and just didn't let go." The tension reached the point where Shyamalan walked away during an interview and hasn't done any others for them. According to Greene, the documentary has captured "unguarded moments" that reveal what Shyamalan really was like, though neither he nor the Sci Fi Channel go into specifics. "We feel completely confident that we are on solid ground in getting this on the air, in a legal way," Sci Fi spokesman David Westover said. "If the project reveals more than Night was comfortable with, that was an inherent gamble that he was aware of long before this was started."

Yet there may be an element of hardball at play. Going public with an air date and title "is part of a strategy to apply some pressure to help us with what we need to accomplish," Westover said. "The program's contents aren't completely locked and things could change if Shyamalan sat down for another interview." However, added Westover, "we probably won't be working with Night in the near future on any creative projects. I can probably guarantee you that." As for filmmaker Greene, things are a bit more uncomfortable as he shares an agent with Shyamalan. "I'm not cocky enough or egotistical enough not to be worried," he said. (thanks to the AP)

grand theft sparrow

I know what the secret is.  He has O. Henry's corpse in his basement and gets story ideas from it in exchange for the blood of virgins!  Either that or he's going to have a sex change, Larry (Linda) Wachowski style and his new name will be M. Dawn Shyamalan.

Honestly, this sounds like a put-on to me.  Buzz is not so good on The Village and I'm sure this "buried secret" is very related to the movie.