Collateral

Started by Myxo, April 21, 2004, 06:36:41 PM

NEON MERCURY

this film kicks fucking ass. bu tits not the story of the acting or the pseudo-pyschcology babble that rocks in this film but rather

michael mann's direction
dion beebe's cinematography
and every fucking music cue, song, or whatever rules...........

just the aesthetics of this film are beatufil and energetic.  i have never seen LA look this cool........its a audio/visual  dream........

thank you michael mann........you have now made up for the garbage that was ali.

and i like how the dvd has a unadvertise commentary track by mann.....

Myxo

I realize more and more how unheralded Michael Mann is with each film he creates. Sure, Ali was a stinker, but there aren't many directors as consistantly good as he is.

Thief
Last of the Mohicans
Insider
Heat
Collateral

I mean, look at that list. Sadly, if you walked up to the average person and said,

"Hey, name one film you've seen that Michael Mann directed."

You'd get a blank stare and a "no idea.." from most.

pete

yeah goddammt I hate average people.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

life_boy

Quote from: MyxomatosisSure, Ali was a stinker...

Why does Ali stink?

Myxo

Quote from: life_boy

Why does Ali stink?

Because of all people, they chose Will Smith to play Ali.

Will Smith = Fecal matter

matt35mm

Quote from: Myxomatosis

Why does Ali stink?

I thought Will Smith did fine in that movie.  He wasn't what was wrong with it.  It was long and boring after a while, that was it's problem.

And again, I am going to have to remind everyone that Will Smith DID star in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, one of the best things ever to happen.  Ever.

And if you shall permit me, I must break into song...

(Ahem)

..Nowwww this is a story all about how
my life got flip turned upside down
and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Air.

..Innnn West Philedelphia, born and raised
on the playground is where I spent most of my days!  
Chillin' out max and relaxin' all cool
and all shootin' some B-Ball outside of the school
when a couple of guys, who were up to no good,
started makin' trouble in my neighborhood!  
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared,
and said, "You're moving with your Auntie and Uncle in Bel Air!"

..I whistled for a cab, and when it came near
the license place said "FRESH" and he had dice in the mirror!
If anything I would say that this cat was rare,
but I thought, "Nah, forget it!  Yo Home to Bel Air!"

.. I pulled up to the house about seven or eight
and I yelled to the cabby, "Yo Homes, smell you later!"  
Looked at my Kingdom--I was finally there!  
Sit on my throne, as the Prince of Bel Air!

Thank you.  Good night.

tpfkabi

when Nick at Nite started airing Fresh Prince a few months back i noticed there is a longer version of that theme song/opening credits. i can't remember it though.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

life_boy

Quote from: Myxomatosis

Why does Ali stink?

I've heard a similar argument given to discredit Collateral.  

(Jamie Foxx = fecal matter)

The argument only begs the question...
How does:
dislike for actor = shitty movie?

Myxo

Quote from: life_boyThe argument only begs the question...
How does:
dislike for actor = shitty movie?

Bad acting can sink a movie just as easily as a bad script can. Everytime I see Will Smith, I have this image of his Independence Day, Bad Boys, Men in Black and Wild Wild West characters all rolled into one. It's the same fucking character. I'll include George Clooney on my hate list along with Renee Anorexiaweger.

Jeremy Blackman

Ali did indeed stink. I got the strong feeling than Michael Mann was writing a college paper that he really didn't want to write.

Quote from: MyxomatosisRenee Anorexiaweger
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243155/

tpfkabi

finally got to see this a second time in the comfort of my home.

i like it quite a bit. i think Cruise nailed it. some of his responses make me laugh. who doesn't like the ruwanda speech, the scene where foxx's wallet is taken......and then Cruise takes the punks out...........and the visit to mom in the hospital..........and freaking Miles Davis?

©brad

my favorite line: "Man I don't know no rwandas!"

tpfkabi

another thing is that i'm essentially the Max character.

-doing a crappy job, while dreaming of making films and music, but not really doing much about it.

SoNowThen

Great movie

.... until the last fifteen minutes, when it turned into a horror movie with Monster Tom chasing them in a subway car. Fucking stupid. I have the perfect ending for this movie (well, Seven kinda did it, but still, they shoulda called me):

Foxx runs to that building in hopes of saving the girl. Catches up with Cruise, cool scene of semi action, kills him. Goes up into the place thinking he's saved the day, finds that Cruise has already offed her, and he's too late to really make any damn difference. Audience would be gutted, I wouldn't feel cheated with a tacked-on "happy ending" where Foxx all of a sudden finds a way to defeat a super killer, and the existential stuff whereby the line "you can take comfort in the fact that you had no choice" would have been personified. Oddly enough, this line (pretty much exactly) is in the script I'm trying to get made right now. Weird.

In my mind, Mann's still only made one complete film: The Insider.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

Indian remake of Collateral:

The title translates to "A Stranger."