Ask The Gold Trumpet

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 30, 2003, 07:35:07 PM

kotte

Quote from: Jay Tee Em
Quote from: MacGuffinIt would seem that member participation is down, with lack of contributing reviews and threads looking for opinions and input. First off, do you agree, or is it just me? If in agreement, what do you think the cause is? Members have lost interest, too much in-fighting, fear that their opinion will be attacked... all of the above and/or other? And how do you think we can remedy that? How can we made xixax better or back to the way when forums would lit up with new posts?

yeah this place is dead, what happened?

Come on, it's not dead. Far from it...but Guffy has a point.

Brazoliange

Quote from: MacGuffinIt would seem that member participation is down, with lack of contributing reviews and threads looking for opinions and input. First off, do you agree, or is it just me? If in agreement, what do you think the cause is? Members have lost interest, too much in-fighting, fear that their opinion will be attacked... all of the above and/or other? And how do you think we can remedy that? How can we made xixax better or back to the way when forums would lit up with new posts?

I still generally read, I'm just usually either lazy or not caring much ><

I do extremely appreciate some tidbits people drop:kiss:  (largely MacGuff), I just don't usually feel like I have anything to add.
Long live the New Flesh

jtm

Quote from: kotte
Quote from: Jay Tee Em

yeah this place is dead, what happened?

Come on, it's not dead. Far from it...but Guffy has a point.

i didn't mean literally dead, i was just making a point that it's not like it used to be.... maybe we need more advertising to get the word out about this place and to get some more people here.  the only places i'm aware of with links to here are PTA's and Cameron Crow's site.

Gold Trumpet

I'll say it very generally...I think the problem is this place became too much of a fraternity with the senior and most popular members. I think they still have interest in movies, but most of them have been on this board for a while. When the best moments of the old board are named, they quote the most useless thread..."Peace Out", a very general chat turned into a thread.

Sure, a lot of them weren't on that board. I just feel there is a membership being carried around to idolize the old board and have a certain perspective for this board. Though they don't always agree on details, they have a general view point that does attack posts and undermine others and find humor at the maybe the expense of someone else.

For those who weren't on the old board and want a different perspective, my opinion is that board was terrible. It was a core group of people who found a niche they called their own board and used it as social hour. Discussion was ten times less there than here and as time went on, I got the feeling the senior members wanted to protect what they had. They didn't want outsiders. The moderator closed the board down because the number of people who wanted to talk film prolly could have been counted on just one of his hands.

So, yea, I think the main reason that attendance and interest has dropped off is the feeling of exlcusion many people people feel from the few. And as those people find their life busy, they have even less of a reason to come here. I'll soon be in that category. I've been lucky all this time to lead an easy life. This fall, I really go to a tough university. I can't see myself being the full member I've been in the past anymore. I have little motivation to do so.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: GingerDo you know what Mac's avatar is from?

Really no clue. I'm usually good at knowing his, but lately I've been really clueless to what movies they are from.

Quote from: GingerHow about Horse's?

It's a very Truffaut-looking gangster and considering his filmography, Shoot the Piano Player maybe?

cowboykurtis

cant be Piano Player - its in color

it looks like a scene from some short film he made
...your excuses are your own...

Brazoliange

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

I'll say it very generally...I think the problem is this place became too much of a fraternity with the senior and most popular members. I think they still have interest in movies, but most of them have been on this board for a while. When the best moments of the old board are named, they quote the most useless thread..."Peace Out", a very general chat turned into a thread.

Sure, a lot of them weren't on that board. I just feel there is a membership being carried around to idolize the old board and have a certain perspective for this board. Though they don't always agree on details, they have a general view point that does attack posts and undermine others and find humor at the maybe the expense of someone else.

For those who weren't on the old board and want a different perspective, my opinion is that board was terrible. It was a core group of people who found a niche they called their own board and used it as social hour. Discussion was ten times less there than here and as time went on, I got the feeling the senior members wanted to protect what they had. They didn't want outsiders. The moderator closed the board down because the number of people who wanted to talk film prolly could have been counted on just one of his hands.

So, yea, I think the main reason that attendance and interest has dropped off is the feeling of exlcusion many people people feel from the few. And as those people find their life busy, they have even less of a reason to come here. I'll soon be in that category. I've been lucky all this time to lead an easy life. This fall, I really go to a tough university. I can't see myself being the full member I've been in the past anymore. I have little motivation to do so.

Thanks for saying that.
Long live the New Flesh

Gamblour.

I think Mac's is Upright Citizens Brigade. Or at least that actor is.

I think people still talk, but it's just spread out over the twenty something subdivisions of forums. Maybe because a lot of the loud (not in a bad way) opinions aren't being said anymore.
WWPTAD?

Pas

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkI think Mac's is Upright Citizens Brigade. Or at least that actor is.

That's from Bring it On, you know that cheerleader movie. Oh man if it's not I'll be so laughable.

Reinhold

pc or mac for college?

studying to be a video editor next fall.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

RegularKarate

GT, if you tell him to get a PC just to be different, I'm locking your thread.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

PC's are crap for music and video editing.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Brazoliange

Quote from: Reinhold Messnerpc or mac for college?

if you have money (read: lots), get a Mac with Final Cut Pro for the best video editing software available (literally)

if you don't have much, get a PC
Long live the New Flesh

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Reinhold Messnerpc or mac for college?

No clue. everyone else's opinion on this thread is more valid than mine ever could be.

Jeremy Blackman

You'd be insane to buy a PC for video editing.

On a related note, I job shadowed at a music studio about a year ago and they were running ProTools on OS9.