Revival Circuit

Started by w/o horse, October 26, 2007, 11:11:35 PM

Captain of Industry

Just a weird coincidence that you would be denigrating Jesse, john, because I have a friend here who apparently knows Jesse and always holds his taste up as like a gold standard.  You know, like I'll say "Saw movie x, didn't like it" and he'll go "My friend Jesse (he programs the Castro in San Francisco) loves movie x and programs it all the time."  And then I'm reduced to "Ok, well I don't know this Jesse guy," etc variations, which usually ends in "He programs the Castro."

Which sometimes drives me crazy.  Maybe next time I'll try "Well john (he posts on a message board) says Jesse's full of shit."  See how that goes.

My House theater experience was kind of like yours.  It's weird to say, but I can't wait to see it at home on the tv, you know, alone and without the influence of others laughing.  Weird to say because theater > home, but also because House makes more sense with celluloid passing through light, don't it?  Was the film really emotionally accomplished?  Or did you mean the laughter of your audience was sometimes in contrast to the emotions of the movie?  If it was emotionally accomplished I was really led astray.  My favorite moment was when the guy who comes closest to rescuing the girls turns into literal bananas before he reaches the house.

Stefen

Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 28, 2010, 12:54:27 PMMaybe next time I'll try "Well john (he posts on a message board) says Jesse's full of shit."  See how that goes.

haha.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 28, 2010, 12:54:27 PM
Just a weird coincidence that you would be denigrating Jesse, john, because I have a friend here who apparently knows Jesse and always holds his taste up as like a gold standard.  You know, like I'll say "Saw movie x, didn't like it" and he'll go "My friend Jesse (he programs the Castro in San Francisco) loves movie x and programs it all the time."  And then I'm reduced to "Ok, well I don't know this Jesse guy," etc variations, which usually ends in "He programs the Castro."

Which sometimes drives me crazy.  Maybe next time I'll try "Well john (he posts on a message board) says Jesse's full of shit."  See how that goes.

My House theater experience was kind of like yours.  It's weird to say, but I can't wait to see it at home on the tv, you know, alone and without the influence of others laughing.  Weird to say because theater > home, but also because House makes more sense with celluloid passing through light, don't it?  Was the film really emotionally accomplished?  Or did you mean the laughter of your audience was sometimes in contrast to the emotions of the movie?  If it was emotionally accomplished I was really led astray.  My favorite moment was when the guy who comes closest to rescuing the girls turns into literal bananas before he reaches the house.

I need to get someone to film one of his introductions so I can post it here. That way you could see for yourself that, while probably a very nice dude, he IS totally full of shit. Another reason his introduction for House was especially intolerable... HE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SCREENING. It's not a Castro exclusive that he booked, it's playing everywhere across the country. He has no connection to it other than he wanted to get on a microphone, hear himself speak, and pimp out his upcoming screenings of shitty films.

"Emotionally accomplished" might have been the wrong words. "Emotionally precise" is a more justified claim given the dream logic of the film... the best example being the one you've given - the guy turning into bananas.

I like that you mentioned watching it at home because I said the same thing after it was over. I appreciated being able to see it in a theater with an audience, however intolerable some of them might have been, but wished my first screening had been at home in my living room, quiet and dark without a single distraction. I told this to my friends and they said, "you sound like a shitty, cranky old man right now." To some extent, I guess they're right... but my reaction was still justified.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

jenkins

the New Bev is finally reopening, although it is clear that they have not, in fact, been spending the time away to work on their schedule. no it's a fine schedule, but nothing spectacular you know

jenkins

tomorrow i'm going to see The Band Wagon at 2pm at the New Beverly, it's $6 and part of the afternoon classics series. it's called the most sophisticated musical ever made and it'll be like the fifth or sixth musical i've ever seen

i'm going to go alone and i'm perfectly fine with that, it's not really the kind of movie i can invite friends to. but it'd also be a great moment to cross paths with a xixaxer, a really pure circumstance, so i mentioned it, just for the hell of it, no one can say i never did

wilberfan

We should try and figure out which of us are clustered where, so we could try stuff like this. 

I only seem to do revivals and anniversary screenings on the big screen anymore.*   I was at the New Bev for "Magnolia" a few weeks ago (a sold out afternoon matinee!) and would have enjoyed a little Xixer-Mixer, as it were...  Ditto the Egyptian last Friday night for "Goodfellas".  ("Raging Bull" is the end of this week.)  ("Boogie Nights" in Downtown L.A. in late July!) 

I can't remember if I've ever seen The Band Wagon.   Not sure yet what my schedule is like tomorrow, yet, though...

We need badges or a secret handshake or something. 

* I'll be making an exception for OUATIH.

jenkins

"can you give me directions to the eiffel tower?" or "do you know where the eiffel tower is?" anything eiffel tower related, i've suggested

jenkins

what happened based on what I just learned is wilberfan was there, exactly where he told me he would be, but I didn't see him and we didn't see each other. damn.

I thought it was an okay movie. I don't think I have a growing affection for musicals so much as I was  moved by the musical Hans Christian Andersen, bc in that movie Hans embarrasses himself and fails at romance, fails in the city and returns back home but it's a positive movie. that moved me. The Band Wagon as the most sophisticated musical ever is bologna. It had some nuances sure,  but overall it behaved like a movie.

jenkins

went to see the "ultra-rare" nitrate print of Gone to Earth by Powell and Pressburger, at the egyptian

the movie is insane

QuoteA beautiful, superstitious, animal-loving Gypsy is hotly desired by a fox-hunting squire even after she marries a clergyman.

the fox, Foxy, is a central character absolutely. truly magnificent movie, wonderful moviegoing experience

apparently somewhere sometime it was known as

jenkins

WorldForgot

regarding the New Bev's sign:
QuoteWorldForgot [01|May 06:26 PM]:   
Jeremy Blackman [01|May 06:27 PM]:   Camp Counselor Quentin
WorldForgot [01|May 06:44 PM]:   lol :P
wilberfan [01|May 07:25 PM]:   I saw him do that on Hollywood Blvd during OUATIH...All the extras joined in and everything. At the time, I didn't realize that was a Quentin Thing.
and re; Brain Dead --
Beyond! The Valley!! Of the Dolls!!!!!
*zoomz around the room in Z-Man cape*
I'm SUPERWOMAN

wilberfan

Man, the now Fairfax Cinema certainly has some stories to tell.  The whole Cinefamily drama, prior to that a management involved murder (I've forgotten the details)--and way less dramatic--seeing silent movies there with my Pops when I was a kid.

WorldForgot

Did you mean to edit your post and instead quoted + re-posted?
Only ask cuz that's happened to me before as well, lol ~

wilberfan

Quote from: WorldForgot on May 02, 2021, 11:23:24 AM
Did you mean to edit your post and instead quoted + re-posted?
Only ask cuz that's happened to me before as well, lol ~

Fawk.

Alethia

Re-opening right after I leave, of course. I can't do anything right.  :doh: