Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: jerome on September 04, 2013, 12:34:15 PM
Regarding the "where he really lives" thing, here's an interesting prediction I found in the comments of the AV Club review:

Quote from: Sketchy GaloreBaseless prediction time!

Jesse's plan is to flip Skyler, and it's going to work beautifully.  Jesse knows that she's a mother and that the poisoning of one child and killing of another is enough to get her to turn by itself.  Her cold willingness to kill Jesse comes from the fact that she sees him as a threat to all of them.  When he makes it clear that Walt is the only one that he wants to hurt, she's going to be a lot more likely to see him as an ally, especially since he's not interested in taking away her money.

Mostly, I think this is all going to have been foreshadowed by the "Vamonos" comment from Jesse, to which Skyler replies "I wish."  They're the two people that Walt has manipulated and hurt the most in his rampage, at least emotionally (I'm sure Mike's lawyer would argue the point!)

Jesse looks at the picture of Walt and Skyler and realizes that's where Walt "Lives."  Walt's self-identity, whether it's valid or not, is that of a family man who is doing what he has to do in order to make sure that his family is safe.  And he's told Jesse how much Skyler hates him, but Jesse knows that she's still there beside him in their facade of a life and that that's enough for Walt.  He has to steal that from Walt and pry away Walt's connections to the world, just like Walt did to him.

I don't buy that at all. Walt has already told Jesse that he's essentially lost his family, especially his wife, which Jesse saw first hand at dinner. Jesse has no way to know that Walt and Skyler have somewhat reconciled. It's also convoluted enough that I can't see that having been part of Jesse's lightbulb moment.

It does make sense to target what's left of Walt's family, which is why I suggested that Jesse should reveal the truth to Junior, but now I'm even doubting that.

More importantly, there's no way Skyler is going to trust Jesse. She never has. She's far more comfortable with Walt (she can easily see through his lies), and she's essentially turned dark anyway. Did she display any great anxiety or desperation or fear of Walt in that hotel room? Not exactly. She has zero motivation to go from wanting Jesse dead to teaming up with him. He almost burned her house down.

Skyler would not be shocked to learn that Walt poisoned a kid (who didn't die). She seems to assume that Walt has done far worse things and racked up a higher body count than he actually has, and she's surprised at his reluctance to kill Jesse. She looks like she's about to mock him for it. Kind of like Lydia: "I thought you were professionals."

Brando

Quote from: jerome on September 04, 2013, 12:34:15 PM
Regarding the "where he really lives" thing, here's an interesting prediction I found in the comments of the AV Club review:

Quote from: Sketchy GaloreBaseless prediction time!

Jesse's plan is to flip Skyler, and it's going to work beautifully.  Jesse knows that she's a mother and that the poisoning of one child and killing of another is enough to get her to turn by itself.  Her cold willingness to kill Jesse comes from the fact that she sees him as a threat to all of them.  When he makes it clear that Walt is the only one that he wants to hurt, she's going to be a lot more likely to see him as an ally, especially since he's not interested in taking away her money.

Mostly, I think this is all going to have been foreshadowed by the "Vamonos" comment from Jesse, to which Skyler replies "I wish."  They're the two people that Walt has manipulated and hurt the most in his rampage, at least emotionally (I'm sure Mike's lawyer would argue the point!)

Jesse looks at the picture of Walt and Skyler and realizes that's where Walt "Lives."  Walt's self-identity, whether it's valid or not, is that of a family man who is doing what he has to do in order to make sure that his family is safe.  And he's told Jesse how much Skyler hates him, but Jesse knows that she's still there beside him in their facade of a life and that that's enough for Walt.  He has to steal that from Walt and pry away Walt's connections to the world, just like Walt did to him.

I was considering something like that. It's what I meant when I said Jesse's plan might be to break up the White family. That photo just stood out from the episode that it makes me think it has to do with Jesse's plan. I still can't figure out how or why that plan could lead to the goal of arresting Walt.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 04, 2013, 01:21:02 PM
It's also convoluted enough that I can't see that having been part of Jesse's lightbulb moment.

That's the biggest hole in the prediction. Jesse doesn't know Skyler. His big plan wouldn't be trying to turn someone he doesn't know against her husband? Jesse knows Walt better than anyone so his plan has to be based on that knowledge.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 04, 2013, 01:21:02 PM
More importantly, there's no way Skyler is going to trust Jesse.

I think Skyler still trusts Hank and Marie. I think it would be those two showing her Jesse's confession.  But that still wouldnt be "jesse's lightbulb moment."

Maybe I'm over thinking it cause going after Walt's money is by far the best prediction but still think Jesse's plan is something else.

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Jeremy Blackman

Jesse sneaks in through the patio door each day to steal Flynn's breakfast, Flynn accuses Walt, Walt misinterprets the accusation, breaks down and confesses everything.

©brad

What's up with Lydia? She's been noticeably absent for 2 episodes now right? My guess is she will turn the Nazi's against Walt. Maybe they'll only kill Jesse if he agrees to "right the ship" with the cook. 

Brando

Quote from: ©brad on September 04, 2013, 03:34:15 PM
What's up with Lydia? She's been noticeably absent for 2 episodes now right? My guess is she will turn the Nazi's against Walt. Maybe they'll only kill Jesse if he agrees to "right the ship" with the cook.

I could see Lydia being upset that Walt is using her men to kill Jesse after Walt turned down helping her. He might want to keep her out of it but it might not be that easy. You would think Lydia would want Jesse dead too. The big problem would be if Lydia and the uncles found out about Hank. They would want to kill Hank too or as you said kill Walt. It would be almost easier to kill Walt than kill both Jesse and Hank.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Jeremy Blackman

I have a hard time believing that Lydia or Todd or Jack's gang would want Walt dead. Their interests don't conflict sufficiently, and I'm sure Lydia is holding out hope that Walt will give Todd a refresher. Something big would have to shift.

I understand that Lydia needs to increase the purity of her product. And you'd think Jack's gang would be destined to collide with Walt at some point. But I can't imagine Lydia using anything but positive reinforcement, unless the equation completely changes. She must understand how clever and dangerous Walt is. He's also incredibly valuable. She doesn't win if she kills him.

Killing Walt doesn't solve Lydia's problem. Hank would certainly go after her, and Jesse has already informed on her.

If Lydia and Jack's gang want Jesse and Hank dead, I can't see Walt going to war with them to prevent that. Maybe one of Walt's last dark turns is that he cooperates with such a plan. (Walt warring with Jack's gang is a bit predictable/boring for this show anyway.)

Still hanging over our heads: who is the ricin for, and who is the M60 for?

Brando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 04, 2013, 05:26:34 PM
I have a hard time believing that Lydia or Todd or Jack's gang would want Walt dead. Their interests don't conflict sufficiently, and I'm sure Lydia is holding out hope that Walt will give Todd a refresher. Something big would have to shift.

I understand that Lydia needs to increase the purity of her product. And you'd think Jack's gang would be destined to collide with Walt at some point. But I can't imagine Lydia using anything but positive reinforcement, unless the equation completely changes. She must understand how clever and dangerous Walt is. He's also incredibly valuable. She doesn't win if she kills him.

Killing Walt doesn't solve Lydia's problem. Hank would certainly go after her, and Jesse has already informed on her.

If Lydia and Jack's gang want Jesse and Hank dead, I can't see Walt going to war with them to prevent that. Maybe one of Walt's last dark turns is that he cooperates with such a plan. (Walt warring with Jack's gang is a bit predictable/boring for this show anyway.)

Still hanging over our heads: who is the ricin for, and who is the M60 for?

That is completely logical. But we are talking about Lydia. When has she ever been reasonable? She immediately put out a hit on 11 people when they became a possible threat. She had an entire outfit of a drug cartel killed over a few percentage points. The cook was at 68% and Todd's cook is "in the low 70s."  Lydia's first instinct is to kill. I'm sure she would love Walt to give Todd a refresher but don't think things have to shift drastically for Lydia to want Walt dead.

Jeremy Blackman

Not sure I agree. Lydia is emotional and a bit crazy (screaming into the pillow), but she's smart and rational. Except for Mike being a wildcard, there was some wisdom to ordering the hit on the witnesses, since it ended up being the solution.

I would also suggest that clearing out Declan's crew was a logical move. Lydia didn't just gain a few percentage points of purity, she gained power. A lot of power. Declan would barely give her the time of day, whereas Todd and Jack are obviously under her thumb. The new meth-cooking crew certainly has more promise than that grimy barely-competent operation Declan had going.

I will concede that Lydia has the potential to act irrationally and explosively when cornered, but I don't see Walt trying to corner her.

Fernando

so Hank has only told Gomez about Walt right? I don't think DEA knows about it yet.

and someone said here if Jesse told about the kid in the bike, I missed it the first time I saw it but Gomez mentions it to Hank in the balcony, ''so, do we take a run to Lydia Rodarte Quayle? vamonos pest? follow up the drew sharp killing? where do we start?''

I keep thinking Hank is making a mistake to not fill in the DEA, even if it means he will lose his job, although now that Gomez knows it's his duty too so now they must inform DEA sooner rather than later.

Jeremy Blackman

I have to assume the next move (Jesse's idea) will coincide with DEA involvement, because you're right, they're reaching a tipping point where they really can't keep it a secret much longer.

Especially with Drew Sharp. It's a missing child case, and now suddenly it should be a murder case with a suspect and a witness.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 06, 2013, 12:43:37 PM
I have to assume the next move (Jesse's idea) will coincide with DEA involvement, because you're right, they're reaching a tipping point where they really can't keep it a secret much longer.

Especially with Drew Sharp. It's a missing child case, and now suddenly it should be a murder case with a suspect and a witness.

exactly. the Drew Sharp case is too big, can you imagine the level of attention it could have? a white kid killed and dissolved, and behind all that it lays the most successful train heist of all time just to build the biggest meth empire in the US.

Tictacbk

I have no idea what Jesse's plan could be, but I feel like there's a chance it's not very DEA friendly.  Gomez will have the DEA plan, Jesse will have probably a genius plan and Hank will be in the middle.  Hank will choose Jesse's plan because this is all turning him into a mad man.

"Mr White - He's the Devil," and "Next time I'm gonna get you where you really live," are the two lines that have echoed in my brain all week.  I can only assume "where you really live" is the fiery depths of hell.

jenkins

why are breaking bad people flipping out today? that's actually what i want to hear. just that. in the next post, please spoil the surprise for me. i want to hear the surprise because people are flipping

edit - i suspected wiki could tell me and yeah, it could. sounds like mayhem. nice

Frederico Fellini

Fucking hell that was exciting.

My prediction for this episode was right on the money (lame pun).

Walt's heartbroken face when he saw Jesse and Hank together. So many feels.

Lydia is still the worst actress ever. But she's hot so I guess everyone's cool with it.

I like how Walt is always so thoughtful about his every move. Always so methodical and always has the upper hand.... and yet, as soon as he saw the picture of "his money". We saw Walt react without thinking for the first time. He got fooled completely. All for the love of the almighty dollar.

Trash, people are flipping out because this episode was the shit. Walt is in handcuffs, Hank finally caught him. Walt saw that Jesse is a fucking rat and there was a crazy ass shootout at the end. Will Hank die?  Probably not. Maybe. Who the fuck knows?  But this episode was truly amazing. Will wake up earlier tomorrow just to rewatch it before work.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

©brad

Quote from: ©brad on September 04, 2013, 03:34:15 PM

CALLED. IT. Well kind of.

I generally hate shootouts like this because they all should have been dead after about 10 seconds but DAMN what a shootout. Michelle Motherfuckn McLaren. Walt's dash to the desert was amazingly done too.

Was the fake brain pic of Jesse foreshadowing? I just need Jesse and Walt Jr. to survive please please please

Lots of people predicting Hank is a goner because of his goodbye phone call to Marie but I don't think so. If Hank was going to be killed in this shootout it would make more sense dramatically to kill him at the end of this episode, make it more of a shocker.

I'm going to have to take mental health sick days for the next three mondays to recover from this show.