Willard

Started by underdog, February 28, 2003, 10:03:26 AM

MacGuffin

Wow, this film owes a lot to "Psycho." And while it didn't give me the scares or creeps as I was hoping, I still found some enjoyment. First off, Crispin Gloven is amazing as a Norman Bates-like clone. But the screenplay gives him moments when we are laughing at him instead of with him. I don't remember the original too well (this version does a humorous in-joke of Bruce Davidson being this Williard's father), but I don't remember finding a lot of laughs in the original. And that seems to be the downfall of this version; trying to be black comedy, instead of going for the scares.

P.S. Although it was probably a coincidence, the prod. co. is named Hard Eight Pictures.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

CollinBullock

Am I the only one who thought Willard was fucking brilliant?  Crispin Glover was PITCH perfect in every seen, and it was just...I thought it was such a beautiful movie.  A lot like Edward Schissorhands in that it brought some comfort to the freaks who feel unloved.

Aw....
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

Raikus

I really liked it. Glover was superb. However it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I felt it went on a little too long in places, but I really like that it wasn't conventional. I like it that people booed at it when it was over. It made me feel all giddy that I was finally seeing an unconventional movie in a primary theater that I really liked.

I can't wait until this comes out on DVD. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will have a music video for Crispin Glover's rendition of "Ben."
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Satcho9I heard that Crispin Glover directed a film starring only people with downs syndrome. Has anyone seen this?

From Entertainment Weekly:

Glover says that this bargain he struck with himself to, in his words, be more willing to adapt his ''countercultural tastes'' to the ''pro-cultural film industry'' is partly due to a book that he read: Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends & Influence People. But the real motivation behind his kinder, gentler work ethic is his cinematic labor of love: What Is It?

Glover is both directing and financing What Is It? -- a surrealist hero's-journey that he describes as ''the adventures of a young man whose principle interests are snails, salt, and how to get home.'' He's been toiling on the project for five years. Probably more. ''It's been a long time,'' he sheepishly admits. ''I don't even like to say. It's embarrassing.''

If you've heard about Glover's film, it's probably because of the cast. While Glover makes an appearance, the majority of the cast has Down syndrome. Some people may see this as a provocative act, or an insensitive one. But Glover adamantly denies this. ''The fact that people get disturbed because we use people with Down syndrome, well, that's not very nice,'' he says. ''You look at movies and it's considered bad for a white person to put blackface on because it's not right. But it is okay for a non-mentally retarded person to play somebody who is mentally retarded, and I find that odd.'' It should be noted that What Is It? also features an actor in blackface. Glover continues: ''The film isn't about Down syndrome at all. They're not playing mentally retarded people. It's not about that. The important thing to me is that it's not about making fun of people with Down syndrome.''

David Lynch says he's seen a version of the movie and backs Glover up. ''It's extremely interesting,'' he says. ''I've talked to Crispin about it and I think he's doing it in the right spirit.'' Lynch pauses. ''Look, Crispin has obsessions, and he's just got to play them out.''

In the end, Glover says he envisions What Is It? as the first installment in a trilogy. ''Like Star Wars,'' he says.

Like Star Wars...

I wait for what seems an eternity for Glover to laugh, smile, something, anything, to indicate that this comparison to the Jedi saga is a put-on. Only he doesn't. He just sits there, straight-faced, like the teller of an inside joke to which only Crispin Glover knows the punchline.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffinDavid Lynch says he's seen a version of the movie and backs Glover up. ''It's extremely interesting,'' he says. ''I've talked to Crispin about it and I think he's doing it in the right spirit.'' Lynch pauses. ''Look, Crispin has obsessions, and he's just got to play them out.''
I wait for what seems an eternity for Glover to laugh, smile, something, anything, to indicate that this comparison to the Jedi saga is a put-on. Only he doesn't. He just sits there, straight-faced, like the teller of an inside joke to which only Crispin Glover knows the punchline.

nice.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: MacGuffinI wait for what seems an eternity for Glover to laugh, smile, something, anything, to indicate that this comparison to the Jedi saga is a put-on. Only he doesn't. He just sits there, straight-faced, like the teller of an inside joke to which only Crispin Glover knows the punchline...

...then he does a karate kick to the reporter's head.  

Poor Letterman...

modage

New Line Home Entertainment will still give the scary rat tale Willard the Platinum Series treatment on October 7th. Presented in anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital Surround EX, extras include a new audio commentary with director Glen Morgan, producer James Wong, Crispin Glover and R. Lee Ermey; two documentaries "The Year of the Rat" (from pre-production through the premiere) and "Rat People: Friends or Foes," deleted scenes with optional commentary, the infamous Crispin Glover music video for the title tune (also with commentary), theatrical trailers and ROM extras including a script viewer, a rat gallery, a trivia challenge and the original website. Retail is $27.95.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Raikus

Consider it pre-ordered.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Derek237

I thought Willard was good, I definatley wouldn't have liked it as much with out Crispin Glover. It's a great performance in an average movie. One weird thing was that I actually felt sorry for one of the rats when it died.  :?

Anyone else see the "Ben" music video? Now THAT is fucked up! If you want to check it out, it at the official site, but beware...cause like I said...it's really fucked up...

http://www.willardmovie.com

markums2k

life_boy was making reference to Fred Willard.  Arguably the funniest man ever.  As regards to the movie, Willard, "wha' happened?"  I was embarrassed to see the trailer, and probably won't check out the movie.  Hearing Bullet with Butterfly Wings in a theater was cool though.

MacGuffin

The DVD has a fascinating 73 minute documentary about the making of the film that's almost worth getting disc for. It goes into areas normal behind the scenes docs don't. They question the auteur theory and why Glen Morgan doesn't believe in the 'A Film By...' credit. Crispin Glover's approach to acting is shown (he bangs his head against the door, shocking the crew, for one take). Shows the stress of test screenings and how Morgan is willing compromise to get a PG-13 rating (he cuts out all the 'fuck' words and changes the ending) to please New Line. While doing ADR, Morgan questions R. Lee Ermey if they did a TV cover edit of "Full Metal Jacket" to which he says, "No. Kubrick doesn't believe in looping." Then the regrets over those changes when the film tests poorly and doesn't make a cent at the box office. You really felt like you were there for the entire production.

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatball

Loved the movie. Cooool DVD. HOWEVER....

Crispin Glover's music video was the most brilliant. I can't stop thinking about it.

MacGuffin

Quote from: meatballCrispin Glover's music video was the most brilliant. I can't stop thinking about it.

Glover packed so much into the commentary for that three minute video than most director's do for their entire film; he even talks about his "What Is It?" movie.

Skeleton FilmWorks

snaporaz

i -f i n a l l y- saw willard the other day and i very much enjoyed it. i don't say this about movies much, but the word feels apt: wonderful. a truly wonderful movie. and as someone said before, it's downfall was that is was trying to be a black comedy instead of horror - i loved it for that reason. i loved how it wasn't trying to be edgy and instead was almost like a children's tale. i noticed that while watching and thought it was a great departure from what would be expected.

Pas

Why the hell wasn't this movie more popular ?! It's a fucking good movie and Crispin Glover is awesome in it.

The DVD was forgetten in the Xixaxies too !!!