Starting out in animation

Started by BonBon85, September 12, 2003, 02:08:35 PM

BonBon85

I know that Tim Burton started out in the animation field, and there has to be others who have taken this path. It's always said that animators pay greater attention to details and I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Are there still a lot of filmmakers who start in animation and then switch to live action?

Duck Sauce

MacGuffin

Robert Rodriguez started as a cartoonist and even used some animation in his early shorts, and some Harryhausen-like stop-motion in "Spy Kids 2". In fact, his next project will be an animation feature:

Robert Rodriguez's next project will be an animation feature film, hmm maybe "Los Hooligans," remember now, that's where he started in cartooning. But for now we'll call it The Robert Rodriguez Untitled Animation Feature Film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

rustinglass

I'm starting with animation, I just started my first animated short: the morrocan
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Cecil

i did a bit of animation in school. its fun.

mutinyco

My first short when I was 12 was a super-8 stop-motion claymation pic. 3 minutes long.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

©brad

i'm taking my first animation course this semester. i'm excited. only bad part is that it's a 9am, which means i'll either not be there or will be hungover. urghhhh!

modage

Quote from: ©bradi'm taking my first animation course this semester. i'm excited. only bad part is that it's a 9am, which means i'll either not be there or will be hungover. urghhhh!

its fun, but if you're doing traditional it is so much work.  hours and hours and hundreds of drawings for a few seconds of movement, which will sometimes turn out completely bad.  but its fun to learn.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

I heard that Seth McFarlane is working on two Films.
context, context, context.

Slick Shoes

I made a thirty second cartoon in school. It was a real piece of shit, but I had the best time doing it.

©brad

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: ©bradi'm taking my first animation course this semester. i'm excited. only bad part is that it's a 9am, which means i'll either not be there or will be hungover. urghhhh!

its fun, but if you're doing traditional it is so much work.  hours and hours and hundreds of drawings for a few seconds of movement, which will sometimes turn out completely bad.  but its fun to learn.

wait wait, drawing??!! i thought we'd be watching speedy gonzales and road runner and that kinda stuff! that's what i wanted!!! grrr.

modage

well, the alternative, (and a lot of schools are steering towards this) is computer animation in Flash or some like program.  which is also intersting, and while the rules of animation still apply (squash and stretch, timing, etc.) its a whole different function because you dont have to draw every frame.  its fun too, but a whole different motor skill.

or are you taking a class learning about animation, rather than doing animation? maybe i misunderstood your statement.