Lucky Louie (and now Louie)

Started by Ravi, June 09, 2006, 12:42:41 AM

wilder

Quote from: wilder on July 09, 2020, 03:38:56 PM
Louis CK, cinephile

(from his latest email)

Quote from: Louis CK
One of my favorite filmmakers is very little known and I'm not sure where you can find his movies but his name is Michael Roemer. He made two movies

Nothing But a Man 

The Metrograph is starting a digital screening service and that will be available starting August 3rd. Complete list of offerings at the link.

jenkins

personally i find Nothing But a Man on a dvd shelf in my room

another day i was going to shittalk Louis CK's list but there's no intellectual benefit to shittalking. basically i think he's aware of cinematic possibilities through his contemporaneous appreciation of City of God and Children of Men, but there's um fissure between this awareness and his lack of silent movies mentioned, especially since he notes the moral complexities possible within pre-code cinema, but throw this guy a G. W. Pabst, let him take a long sip of F. W. Murnau, you know, etc including two vons, and other movies that paint portraits wider and deeper than domestic dramas by notable actors. Nothing But a Man is solid but he overhypes it and i'd mention The Exiles and Killer of Sheep in return

but that's politics. he's fighting the good fight by liking older movies and possessing a dimensional perspective on the movies he watches. Black Orpheus is by a french director but it's split hairs sure