Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City

Started by MacGuffin, March 06, 2007, 01:27:40 AM

MacGuffin

'Departed' duo strolls 'Boardwalk'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Oscar winner Martin Scorsese has teamed with his "Departed" co-star Mark Wahlberg for a drama series project for HBO about the development of Atlantic City.

The project will be developed in conjunction with the book, "Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City" by Nelson Johnson, which has been optioned by HBO.

Scorsese will executive produce the project with Wahlberg and Leverage Management's Stephen Levinson.

Wahlberg and Levinson already are in business with HBO by executive producing two series, the hit comedy "Entourage" and the upcoming drama "In Treatment." Leverage, which produces both series with HBO, is also behind the Atlantic City series.

According to the book's official description, "Boardwalk" chronicles Atlantic City "from its birth as a quiet seaside health resort, through the notorious backroom politics and power struggles, to the city's rebirth as an entertainment and gambling mecca where anything goes."

Atlantic City is a familiar setting for Scorsese, whose 1986 feature "The Color of Money" took place there.

Scorsese won an Oscar last month for directing the mob saga "The Departed," which was named best picture. The movie earned Wahlberg an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Winter on Scorsese's 'Boardwalk'
'Sopranos' alum to pen HBO project
Source: Variety

"The Sopranos" alum Terence Winter has been tapped to write Martin Scorsese's HBO project "Boardwalk Empire," produced by "Entourage" duo Mark Wahlberg and Stephen Levinson.

Winter's deal on "Boardwalk" comes as part of a two-year extension of his overall deal with the pay cabler.

Drama, which hasn't yet been ordered to pilot, is based on Nelson Johnson's book "Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times and Corruption of Atlantic City," which revolves around the now-gambling mecca's early 20th century origins.

Winter rose up the ranks on "The Sopranos" to exec producer and later in its run helmed episodes of the hit drama -- which, like "Boardwalk Empire," took place in New Jersey. He recently scored the WGA nod for drama series episode, for the "Sopranos" seg "The Second Coming."

"HBO's been my home for nine years," Winter said. "From day one I've never been happier working for any network or group of people. They presented me with the ('Boardwalk Empire') book and said they thought a series was there -- go find it."

Winter has been busy on two different film projects for Scorsese: the adaptation of "The Wolf of Wall Street" at Warner Bros. and rock 'n' roll epic "The Long Play."

Winter is also collaborating with Gary Ross on an untitled NASCAR project for Universal.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Martin Scorsese may helm HBO pilot
May direct drama based on Nelson Johnson's book

Oscar winner Martin Scorsese is in negotiations to direct HBO's drama pilot "Boardwalk Empire."

Scorsese already is exec producer on the project, based on Nelson Johnson's book, which chronicles the 1920s origins of gambling mecca Atlantic City.

Following HBO's green light to the Terence Winter-written script last month, there had been some speculation that Scorsese might take the helm, but given his busy schedule, that was not easy to pull off. "Boardwalk" marks Scorsese's first foray into drama series; his only other TV directing credit is one episode of Steven Spielberg's mid-'80s anthology series "Amazing Stories."

Scorsese, an Oscar winner for "The Departed," is in postproduction on "Shutter Island," starring his frequent leading man Leonardo DiCaprio.

Endeavor-repped Scorsese exec produces "Boardwalk" with one of his "Departed" stars, Mark Wahlberg, as well as Stephen Levinson and Winter.

Scorsese is the second Oscar winner HBO has tapped to direct a pilot this year. Alexander Payne is on board to helm the comedy "Hung."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Steve Buscemi in 'Boardwalk' talks
Would star in Martin Scorsese's drama pilot

Steve Buscemi is in talks to star in "Boardwalk Empire," Martin Scorsese's drama pilot for HBO.

Kelly Macdonald also is in talks for a co-starring role in the project.

Written by Terrence Winter and to be directed by Scorsese, "Empire" is based on Nelson Johnson's book, which chronicles the 1920s origins of Atlantic City, N.J.

Buscemi would play Nucky Johnson, a cunning businessman who runs a liquor distribution ring at the onset of Prohibition.

The Scotland-born Macdonald would play Margaret, a smart Irish immigrant who married the wrong man to get out of her parents' house.

"Empire" is executive produced by Scorsese, his "Departed" star Mark Wahlberg, Stephen Levinson and Winter.

The pilot reunites Buscemi with HBO following his stint on the pay cable network's mob drama "The Sopranos," which earned him Emmy noms for directing in 2001 and acting in 2004.

He landed another Emmy nom this year for his guest appearance on the NBC comedy "30 Rock."

Buscemi, whose upcoming features include "Youth in Revolt" and "Rage," is repped by Endeavor and the Gotham Group.

Macdonald is another familiar face at HBO. She won an Emmy for her role in the HBO/BBC movie "The Girl at the Cafe." The ICM-repped actress recently appeared in the Oscar-winning "No Country for Old Men" and the indie "Choke."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Michael Pitt set for Martin Scorsese's HBO pilot
Actor to join Steve Buscemi in drama 'Boardwalk Empire'

Michael Pitt is in final negotiations to star opposite Steve Buscemi in "Boardwalk Empire," Martin Scorsese's drama pilot for HBO.

Written by Terrence Winter and to be directed by Scorsese, "Empire" is based on Nelson Johnson's book, which chronicles the 1920s origins of Atlantic City, N.J.

The story centers on Nucky Johnson (Buscemi), a cunning businessman who runs a liquor distribution ring at the onset of Prohibition, and Jimmy Darmody (Pitt), a young, highly intelligent and ruthless WWI veteran, a low-level flunky for Nucky who wants to quickly climb the ladder.

Kelly Macdonald was previously cast in the pilot.

"Empire" is executive produced by Scorsese, Mark Wahlberg, Stephen Levinson and Winter.

Pitt, who recurred on "Dawson's Creek," has starred in the feature films "The Dreamers," "The Village," "Last Days" and "Funny Games."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

HBO greenlights 'Boardwalk Empire'
Martin Scorsese produces the period drama
Source: Variety

HBO has given the series greenlight to the Martin Scorsese-produced period drama "Boardwalk Empire."

Pay cabler has ordered 11 episodes of the series, which revolves around the life of 1920s Atlantic City bigwig Nucky Thompson, who is described as "equal parts politician and gangster." Steve Buscemi stars as Thompson.

Production is expected to begin in the fall in Gotham, with the preem targeted for next year.

"Boardwalk Empire" was created by "Sopranos" alum Terence Winter. The pilot seg was helmed by Scorsese, who will remain a hands-on exec producer on the series. Skein hails from Mark Wahlberg's Closest to the Hole and Stephen Levinson's Leverage production banners. Winter, Scorsese, Wahlberg, Levinson and Tim Van Patten are exec producers.

Co-stars include Michael Pitt, Kelly Macdonald, Michael Shannon, Shea Whigham, Dabney Coleman and Stephen Graham.

"Boardwalk Empire" will join David Simon's New Orleans-set "Treme" on HBO's slate of frosh dramas next year.

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

between this and treme it looks like HBO's poised for a bit of a comeback. i wasn't aware scorsese helmed the pilot himself. awesome!
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

modage

Michael Stuhlbarg talks about Martin Scorsese's HBO Show BOARDWALK EMPIRE
Source: Collider

HBO makes great television. We all know that. Every year the cable channel produces series and mini-series that go on to win Emmys and create intense conversations about the latest episodes. And right now, the network is hard at work producing what's sure to be a massive television event, "Boardwalk Empire".

If you haven't yet heard of the show, don't panic. The network only shot the pilot a few months ago and the full series begins shooting next month. But the reason you should care is one name: Martin Scorsese. Yes, one of the greatest directors in Hollywood directed the pilot and he's producing the show along with a few people that made "The Sopranos". The show is a look at the origins of Atlantic City's boardwalk and is based on the book "Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City" by Nelson Johnson. I recently got to speak to one of the stars of the show, Michael Stuhlbarg, and after the jump you can read what he had to say:

According to Michael, he's going to play Arnold Rothstein. Here's a link to Wikipedia so you can read all about Arnold. The guy was a very famous Jewish gangster and I'm sure the role is going to be great to watch. He went on to say he's going to start filming the show next month and it should air next fall.

What was interesting is he said, "they spent over two months shooting the pilot. It was like an independent film." But they're only "allowing eight shooting days for each episode."

But with Martin Scorsese possibly directing a few episodes, who is going to be the executive that tells him no when he wants an extra day or two to shoot.

The fact is, this is a show I cannot wait to see and next fall is a long way away. Here's what Michael said during a roundtable interview:

Question: Are you going to be a regular in Boardwalk Empire?

Michael Stuhlbarg: I am.

Is this going to be on HBO with Martin Scorsese?

Michael: Martin Scorsese directed the pilot. I shot it a number of months ago. We start shooting the rest of the series in the middle of October. Steve Buscemi, Kelly MacDonald, Michael Shannon, Dabney Coleman, Michael Pitt, Aleksa Palladino, Vincent Piazza.

So you're working with another bunch of unknowns.

Michael: Yes, indeed. It's a really lovely group of people. And I'm playing Arnold Rothstein who is responsible, possibly, for fixing the 1919 World Series. It's a really fun part and the pilot was a gas to shoot. It was really fun.

Is it a six episode, twelve episode, thirteen?

Michael: Twelve episodes, I think, at the moment. We'll see how it goes. It won't be seen until next fall.

Scorsese directed or is he producing?

Michael: He directed it and he executive produces it and I think he'll direct some more episodes.

Have you been told what some of the other directors might be?

Michael: Tim Van Patten...Terrance Winter wrote the pilot from "The Sopranos". Tim Van Patten as well who's associated with The Sopranos and he's also an executive producer on the show. Mark Wahlberg and Steven Levinson are both producing it. I imagine Terrance is going to be very hands on throughout the process and I believe he'll direct some of the episodes as well. Who knows, I imagine Steve Buscimi because he's been so involved in directing lately...eventually, if he's free...

What kind of shooting are you looking at? Is it four months or six months?

Michael: It looks like they're going to try and get it done by December or January. So relatively quickly. Although they spent over two months shooting the pilot. It was like an independent film. I think they're allowing eight shooting days for each episode.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ElPandaRoyal

Si

Pubrick

looks ok. nothing  :shock: -ing about it and maybe worth one  :yabbse-thumbup:.

two things about casting:

1. it's great to see buscemi alive and working.

2. just realised MICHAEL PITT is in this. michael pitt?? are you kidding me. if scorsese had a hand in the casting of this thing he officially has a problem.. he is OBSESED with leonardo dicaprio. leo to him is like all-you-can-eat seafood to homer: when they closed the restaurant and he was told he couldn't have any more he spent all nite fishing for the actor MOST RESEMBLING HIM.

this explains his recent decision to make a KIDS movie. are you kidding me? it's cos when he had all he could eat of one baby-faced actor and moved onto another, he then went to the fucking OCEAN of baby faces. is anyone else getting this? i hope he gets over his addiction after The Invention of Hugo Cabret cos this cannot end well.
under the paving stones.

modage

Maybe I'm just surprised to see something with potential on a channel I now think of as a place (not) to watch Entourage and other Entourage-like shows.

Gold Trumpet

I'll be getting HBO again this summer and will have it for a while so I'm just happy I will be able to watch it. The trailer doesn't tell me much to make me excited, but it should be interesting to watch and comment on it every week.

hedwig

Quote from: ρ on March 16, 2010, 07:57:57 PM
2. just realised MICHAEL PITT is in this. michael pitt?? are you kidding me. if scorsese had a hand in the casting of this thing he officially has a problem.. he is OBSESED with leonardo dicaprio. leo to him is like all-you-can-eat seafood to homer: when he was told he couldn't gorge on it anymore he went out and looked for the actor MOST RESEMBLING HIM.

this explains his recent decision to make a KIDS movie. are you kidding me? it's cos when he had all he could eat of one baby-faced actor and moved onto another, he then went to the fucking OCEAN of baby faces. is anyone else getting this? i hope he gets over his addiction after The Invention of Hugo Cabret cos this cannot end well.

Quote from: cine on March 03, 2007, 02:47:06 AM
hey pubrick, maybe stop posting your personal Scorsese's pedophilic thoughts.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.