Adapted: Little Children
Cine: Children of Men
Editing: The Departed
Art Direction: Pan's
Score: Babel
VFX: Pirate's
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

so there's a film critic here who has worked for the big city paper for decades and decades, his name is Des Partridge. i used to think he knew what he was talking about, but for the last 8 years since i seriously got into movies he has appeared more and more senile (he reckons Good Night and Good Luck was the frontrunner for best pic last year, IDIOT!). his predictions for the oscars this year are as follows:
Little Miss Sparkle, scors, mirren whitaker hudson murphy.

it pisses me off that i agree with him about little miss spirit fingers. i think it could be the surprise winner much like driving miss daisy, they both fit nicely into the first and last lines of a haiku. actually it's more like Chariots of Fire. again same number of syllables. i still hate des partridge tho.

below is a list of my guesses. red signifies possible surprise wins, blue is pretty much the obvious winner, and green is "i wish" or the only ones i actually care about. for the short film categories i guessed based on their titles. Lifted reminded me of the best unreleased radiohead song (and to a lesser extent the same name bright eyes effort).

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 23, 2007, 08:06:52 AM
Best motion picture of the year
BABEL
THE DEPARTED
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
THE QUEEN

Performance by an actor in a leading role
Leonardo DiCaprio - BLOOD DIAMOND
Ryan Gosling - HALF NELSON
Peter O'Toole - VENUS
Will Smith - THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS
Forest Whitaker - THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Penélope Cruz - VOLVER
Judi Dench - NOTES ON A SCANDAL
Helen Mirren - THE QUEEN
Meryl Streep - THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA
Kate Winslet - LITTLE CHILDREN

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Alan Arkin - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
Jackie Earle Haley - LITTLE CHILDREN
Djimon Hounsou - BLOOD DIAMOND
Eddie Murphy - DREAMGIRLS
Mark Wahlberg - THE DEPARTED

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Adriana Barraza - BABEL
Cate Blanchett - NOTES ON A SCANDAL
Abigail Breslin - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
Jennifer Hudson - DREAMGIRLS
Rinko Kikuchi - BABEL

Achievement in directing
Alejandro González Iñárritu - BABEL
Martin Scorsese - THE DEPARTED
Clint Eastwood - LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
Stephen Frears - THE QUEEN
Paul Greengrass - UNITED 93

Adapted screenplay
BORAT CULTURAL LEARNINGS OF AMERICA FOR MAKE BENEFIT GLORIOUS NATION OF KAZAKHSTAN - Sacha Baron Cohen & Anthony Hines & Peter Baynham & Dan Mazer & Todd Phillips
CHILDREN OF MEN - Alfonso Cuarón & Timothy J. Sexton and David Arata and Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby
THE DEPARTED - William Monahan
LITTLE CHILDREN - Todd Field & Tom Perrotta
NOTES ON A SCANDAL - Patrick Marber

Original screenplay
BABEL - Guillermo Arriaga
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA - Iris Yamashita & Paul Haggis
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE - Michael Arndt
PAN'S LABYRINTH - Guillermo del Toro
THE QUEEN - Peter Morgan

Achievement in cinematography
THE BLACK DAHLIA - Vilmos Zsigmond
CHILDREN OF MEN - Emmanuel Lubezki
THE ILLUSIONIST - Dick Pope
PAN'S LABYRINTH - Guillermo Navarro
THE PRESTIGE - Wally Pfister

Achievement in film editing
BABEL - Stephen Mirrione and Douglas Crise
BLOOD DIAMOND - Steven Rosenblum
CHILDREN OF MEN - Alex Rodríguez and Alfonso Cuarón
THE DEPARTED - Thelma Schoonmaker
UNITED 93 - Clare Douglas, Christopher Rouse and Richard Pearson

Best animated feature film of the year
CARS
HAPPY FEET
MONSTER HOUSE

Best foreign language film of the year
AFTER THE WEDDING - Denmark
DAYS OF GLORY (INDIGÈNES) - Algeria
THE LIVES OF OTHERS - Germany
PAN'S LABYRINTH - Mexico
WATER - Canada

Achievement in art direction
DREAMGIRLS
THE GOOD SHEPHERD
PAN'S LABYRINTH
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST
THE PRESTIGE

Achievement in costume design
CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER
THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA
DREAMGIRLS
MARIE ANTOINETTE
THE QUEEN

Best documentary feature
DELIVER US FROM EVIL
AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH
IRAQ IN FRAGMENTS
JESUS CAMP
MY COUNTRY, MY COUNTRY

Best documentary short subject
THE BLOOD OF YINGZHOU DISTRICT
RECYCLED LIFE
REHEARSING A DREAM
TWO HANDS

Achievement in sound editing
APOCALYPTO
BLOOD DIAMOND
FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA

Achievement in sound mixing
APOCALYPTO
BLOOD DIAMOND
DREAMGIRLS
FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS

Achievement in visual effects
POSEIDON
SUPERMAN RETURNS

Achievement in makeup
APOCALYPTO
CLICK
PAN'S LABYRINTH

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
BABEL - Gustavo Santaolalla
THE GOOD GERMAN - Thomas Newman
NOTES ON A SCANDAL - Philip Glass
PAN'S LABYRINTH - Javier Navarrete
THE QUEEN - Alexandre Desplat

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
"I Need to Wake Up" - AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH - Music and Lyric by Melissa Etheridge
"Listen" - DREAMGIRLS - Music by Henry Krieger and Scott Cutler; Lyric by Anne Preven
"Love You I Do" - DREAMGIRLS - Music by Henry Krieger; Lyric by Siedah Garrett
"Our Town" - CARS - Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
"Patience" - DREAMGIRLS - Music by Henry Krieger; Lyric by Willie Reale whichever is the most popular hudson number.

Best animated short film
THE DANISH POET
LIFTED
THE LITTLE MATCHGIRL
MAESTRO
NO TIME FOR NUTS

Best live action short film
BINTA AND THE GREAT IDEA (BINTA Y LA GRAN IDEA)
ÉRAMOS POCOS (ONE TOO MANY)
HELMER & SON
THE SAVIOUR
WEST BANK STORY 

HONORARY AWARD
Ennio Morricone

JEAN HERSHOLT HUMANITARIAN AWARD
Sherry Lansing

i should also admit that maybe i overreacted to these nominations. mod is right that at least there's nothing as embarrassing as Crash in contention for any serious award. Peter O Toole and Letters from Iwo Jima are prolly the closest in terms of how boring it will be if they win. and even tho it doesn't reflect reality i still like to watch the stupid show with its stupid speeches and often unpredictable freaks.

oh, and i cannot seriously believe eddie murphy has a chance at the same time that Norbit is out. they would only do such a ridiculous thing to encourage him to stop being a douche bag. and finally, the departed could very well win best pic as it is the safest and most "classic" choice to distance the academy from the controversial option of awarding foreign language films like iwo, babel, and the queen.
under the paving stones.

Derek237

Well, the Oscars are tomorrow- well, today. Hard to believe another year has passed. This year in particular is a very interesting year, unlike last year, which was pretty much a close race  between Crash and  Brokeback Mountain (I predicted Crash's win, much to my disappointment) , and the acting noms (except maybe best actress) and the best director nom were pretty much locks.

This year, I wouldn't be surprising if ANY of the five movies won best picture, to be honest.

So I'm going to make some predictions as well as who I think may be the possible upset win, and of course, state my own preferences as well.

Best Actor in a Leading Role

The funny thing about this category is that it contains younger actors starting to come into themselves, actors who have been around for a while but are at their best here, and one who is considered by many to be one of the greatest actors of all-time, YET, not one of them has ever won! Peter O'Toole received a lifetime achievement Oscar but he is still a strong contender here, and how cool would that be if the guy wins through competition after getting that honorary statute? It's awesome to see the Canadian-born Ryan Gosling get a nomination. We have Dicaprio here, which is great, because he is one of our generation's greatest. I'm sure he would have been in the list twice if it weren't for the academy's rule against more than one nom. I was disappointed he didn't get a nod for the departed, but I have not seen Blood Diamond Yet so I can't really say. Either way, his finest hour was obviously The Aviator, and he didn't win it. So he may have to wait a little longer to get an Oscar, but if O'Toole can do it, he can.

The strong frontrunner here is Forest Whitaker for Last King of Scotland, and he definitely deserves it. I think he's going to take it, and I think he deserves it too, but I have to admit, I have not seen any of the other nominated performances. Terrible, I know. Sorry. Still, don't count out Peter O'Toole, it is very, very, possible he could be the upset win.

PREDICTION: Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland

UPSET: Peter O'Toole, Venus

PREFERENCE: Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland

Best Actress in a Leading Role

I won't say the Academy is sexist, but it seems like most of the time performances by  ACTORS will match up with the better movies (IE: The best picture nominees), however, this year, the actresses have them beat. Helen Mirren is the only one in this category to also have her film be nominated for best picture. Meryl Streep is in the mix here, which is really only because she's Meryl Streep. I loved Cruz in Volver and if ANYBODY beats Helen Mirren I hope it's her. But this is Mirren's year. She's one of those actresses who you just assume already has like, 5 oscars already, but no, she hasn't won ever. Also take into fact that she has given one of the most celebrated performances in years, I think it will be her night.

I'm 99% sure Mirren will win, and I'm happy about it, too, because Reese Witherspoon's win for Walk the Line just makes me sick. Was that really the best performance they could find? Yeck. Mirren is an accomplished actress. Witherspoon is a movie star. Sometimes it's better to award who deserves it other than who will look better holding it on the cover of Entertainment Weekly.

PREDICTION: Helen Mirren, The Queen

UPSET: looks doubtful...but if anybody beats Mirren it would be Penelope Cruz for Volver
PREFERENCE: I think Mirren SHOULD win, but on other personal levels I liked Cruz

Best Supporting Actor

Okay, where do I begin here? First off, Jack Nicholson was snubbed for his role in the Departed, which has always bugged me. It's one of his best roles, easily in the top 10 of his career (which is saying a lot), but he was snubbed to make room for others who have not won before. What a double standard the academy seems to have, when they can nominate Streep for just about an little performance, while Jack is at the top of the game and gets the shaft.

So I just thought I'd get that out of the way. Two performances that seem to be locks are both for Dreamgirls: Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson. I kind of smell an upset here...Maybe one of the two will win, but I don't see BOTH of them winning. I do think Murphy will have the slightly upper hand winning, though. It's real bad Oscar to publicity to come out with Norbit right now, but I think most people will look past it.

The reason why I think he has a better chance of winning than Hudson is because when it comes to musicals, the men never get recognition. Nicole Kidman was nominated for Moulin Rouge, while Ewen McGregor was left our in the cold. Catherine Zeta-Jones WON, and Renee Zellwegger and Queen Latifah were nominated for Chicago. Richard Gere won a Golden Globe but did not get a nomination, and the only actor representing Chicago was John C Rielly for his best supporting actor nomination.

So, that's what Murphy has going for him However, personally, I hope he does not win. If he wins, he will be the first member of Saturday Night Live to win an Oscar, and while the Academy may not take that into consideration, I think that that particular honor should have gone to Bill Murray, for Lost in Translation.

The upset here, and he has a very good chance, is Alan Arkin for Little Miss Sunshine. The guy has been nominated twice before, long, long ago. He also won the BAFTA and obviously strongly  contributed to Little Miss Sunshine's SAG win. If there's anything the academy likes better than a comeback, it's making up for past mistakes. I think Arkin has a very strong chance and may be the upset. Jackie Earle Haley may also be the surprise winner, too.

However, I want to go for the dark horse here. I would like to see Mark Wahlberg win. I'm totally upset about Nicholson's snub, but one thing I've noticed about the Departed is that upon multiple viewings, performances by Nicholson, or Dicaprio, is that they are consistently good. Wahlberg, on the other hand, gets better with each viewing. He gives an awesome performance that is hard to pay attention to the first time, but gets better and better each time you watch it.

PREDICTION: Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls

UPSET: Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine, or even possibly Jackie Earle Haley for Little Children

PREFERENCE: Mark Wahlberg, The Departed

Best Supporting Actress

What would it say about the American Dream if some girl who went from nowhere to being on a musical reality TV Show, to starring in a big, popular motion picture, to winning an Oscar for it? What exactly would that say about Dustin Hoffman, who slept on Gene Hackman's floor when he was first starting out, and did plays, until finally getting his big break in The Graduate, for which he was nominated for Best Actor? He didn't win, nor was required to sing, by the way.

I really just hope to god that Hudson doesn't win, though. Nothing against her, she seems delightful, not at all jaded, but I really just hope she doesn't. And I hope Abigail Breslin wins for her AMAZING performance in Little Miss Sunshine. Who knew that child actors could actually act like regular children and still do a great job of it, too? Maybe my desire for Hudson to lose could be clouding my judgment, but I think Breslin may actually have her chance. It's been a while since a child won, after all. Not since Anna Paquiin did for The Piano. And really, Breslin just deserves it.

PREDICTION: Abigial Breslin, Little Miss Sunshine

UPSET: Jennifer Hudson, Dream girls (I realize she is the frontrunner, but trust me, it would be an UPSET to me)

PREFERENCE: Where's Olive?

Best Director

Martin Scorsese has lost over and over and over and just when you thought it looked like it might be his year with The Aviator (it was winning left and right that night), boom, he loses. Again. Well, this year, Scorsese has in pretty much in the bag, but even though I loved the Departed, I really think it would have been perfect if he won for The Aviator. This seems like just a 'makeup' win and god how sad would that be? At this point it would even be better just to give him a lifetime achievement award. However, with the Golden Globe, and the DGA Award (an award that seems to predict the best director oscar at least 90% of the time), I guess his pity win is inevitable here. The Departed was great, I loved it, but Scorsese has done better movies that he was far more deserving of. But that's just how it is.

PREDICTION: Marty

UPSET: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Babel, or Stephen Frears, The Queen

PREFERENCE: Stephen Frears (because if the decisions where up to me, Scorsese would have won several times over anyway)

Best Picture

Okay, it all comes down to Best Picture. Probably the hardest to predict of all the awards here, which is rare. Letters From Iwo Jima and Little Miss Sunshine got the least number of nomination of the nominees, which is never a good sign, and The Departed also got fewer nominations that I thought it would. Babel has the most, but some of the other awards Babel is nominated for would kind of be walking in the same steps as Crash. What if Babel ends up only winning Best Picture, Best Editing, and Best Screenplay as well? Does the academy really want to honor yet another multi-storyline semi-race oriented drama? I don't really think so. Especially if it ends up winning the exact same awards. Talk about déjà vu.

The Academy likes to bundle up movies with a few awards. Crash winning 3 was one of the lowest amounts in recent times. But hey, maybe this will be some crazy year where a movie only wins best picture and maybe one other award. Hey, what if Letters From Iwo Jima wins best picture and nothing else? That might be kind of cool. Movies that are already are video don't USUALLY win- Gladiator did, Crash did, Silence of the Lambs. But this year most of the nominees already are on video, except for The Queen and Letters From Iwo Jima. Maybe the academy will consider them more so that  they can put Winner of x Academy Awards on their DVD covers. Maybe. Or maybe The academy will pay attention to The Departed's amazing DVD sales as well as the box office reciepts and award it on that basis. The academy loves it when a movie makes a lot of money, and it's been a while since a really big money-maker won.

However, I think that maybe the dark horse, The Queen has the chance of winning here. Think about it. Best costume design? Best Music? Did it really deserve to be nominated for those awards?  Movies that the academy favors tend to get unnecessary nominations and when it comes to movies like The Departed and Little Miss Sunshine, they received the BARE MINIMUM of  their possible nominations.

I wasn't really feeling Babel this year, I never felt the desire to go out and see it immediately so maybe that's why I feel the frontrunners here appear to be The Departed and The Queen. I think the Queen may have the better chance though.

If the Departed ends up winning for its screenplay, I think that will be the ultimate sign that it  will win best picture.

I liked the Departed better than the Queen, well, I LOVED The departed, it is so great, my favorite movie of the year, but I think The Queen just may surprise everybody by being named the best picture. After all, it did win the BAFTA. Don't forget that.

PREDICTION: The Queen (with 3 or 4 awards)

UPSET: The Departed (with 2 or 3 wins)

PREFERENCE: Do I have a preference? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe fuck yourself.

Other awards:

Best Original Screenplay

PREDICTION: The Queen
UPSET: Babel
PREFERENCE: The Queen

Best Adapted Screenplay

PREDICTION: Children of Men
UPSET: The Departed
PREFERENCE: The Departed

Best Cinematography:

PREDICTION: Pan's Labyrinth
UPSET: n/a
PREFERENCE: n/a

Best Editing

PREDICTION: Children of Men
UPSET: Babel
PREFERENCE: n/a

And that;s all. Cause I'm tired now. Goodnight!

modage

Best motion picture of the year
THINK: BABEL
WANT: THE DEPARTED

really, the only one that would piss me off in this category would be The Queen.  it's an HBO movie, it doesn't say anything about film in 06, the other four i enjoyed all.  preference is on the Departed since my actual favorite film of the year winning Best Picture would be a shock i might never recover from.  i would also settle for Little Miss Sunshine just because its so NOT best picture material, that it would be a really unconventional choice.  Babel would be another pat on the back for an 'important' picture though it winning directly after Crash i think is unlikely.  The Departed is too violent and Letters From Iwo Jima is subtitled and nobody saw it. 

Performance by an actor in a leading role
THINK: Forest Whitaker - THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND
WANT: Ryan Gosling - HALF NELSON

i've only seen 2 of the 5 nominees which is the least of any major category so this is the category i'm the least interested in this year.  forest will win, i haven't seen the film.  good for him.

Performance by an actress in a leading role
THINK: Helen Mirren - THE QUEEN
WANT: Penélope Cruz - VOLVER

the surest lock, mirren will win.  i loved Cruz in Volver, always love Winslet though i wasn't crazy about Little Children and thought Streep was great in Prada though i think it's really a supporting performance.  i'd be happy with any of those three though instead.

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
THINK: Eddie Murphy - DREAMGIRLS
WANT: Alan Arkin - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

murphy seemed like a dick at the globes, so i kinda hope he doesnt win unless he really breaks down during his speech or something.  plus, norbit?  ugh.  clearly not using this opportunity to take his career in a different direction and he should be punished!  i'd kinda like to see Haley win cause it would make his day/life or Arkin because i don't think he's ever won and he's old and is always funny.  wahlberg was great in Departed (which is unusual for him) but he's such a cocky bastard in real life i really don't want him to have an oscar.  the sole acting nomination from that cast is enough of an ego boost for a decade. 

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
THINK: Jennifer Hudson - DREAMGIRLS
WANT: Rinko Kikuchi - BABEL

again, i really want to hold something against Dreamgirls, i'm SO GLAD it wasn't up for Best Picture because i would've bet THAT would've won.  Hudson was good, but i think her singing was better than her acting and the likelihood of her getting a great role like this again is so slim she will join the long line of people who got an Oscar and disappeared.  that's fine, she seems nice.  prefer it if one of the 2 Babel ladies won it, since they were awesome. 

Achievement in directing
THINK: Martin Scorsese - THE DEPARTED
WANT: Martin Scorsese - THE DEPARTED

you know this has to happen.  can't wait for his speech. 

Adapted screenplay
THINK: THE DEPARTED - William Monahan
WANT: CHILDREN OF MEN - Alfonso Cuarón & Timothy J. Sexton and David Arata and Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby

Departed would be awesome except it encourages remakes, and Children would be even greater but it encourages lots of rewrites. 

Original screenplay
THINK:THE QUEEN - Peter Morgan
WANT: PAN'S LABYRINTH - Guillermo del Toro

most happy if del Toro got an Oscar like this, cause that would be awesome.  Hellboy 2, from Oscar winning writer Guillermo del Toro.  Babel or LMS would be okay too.

Achievement in cinematography
THINK: PAN'S LABYRINTH - Guillermo Navarro
WANT: CHILDREN OF MEN - Emmanuel Lubezki

i feel like with so many nominations Pans might actually get this one.  nobody wants to give an Oscar to Black Dahlia but if any of those old folks bothered to watch Children Of Men before slipping into senility it would surely win.

Achievement in film editing
THINK: UNITED 93 - Clare Douglas, Christopher Rouse and Richard Pearson
WANT: CHILDREN OF MEN - Alex Rodríguez and Alfonso Cuarón

since this was such an early favorite and got shutout of most major categories i feel like they will give it this award as if to say "Never Forget".  i'd be ok with any of these winning though, except Blood Diamond cause that movie was sorta dumb.

Best animated feature film of the year
THINK: CARS
WANT: MONSTER HOUSE

Happy Feet might actually take this one, Monster House doesn't have a chance in hell. 

Best foreign language film of the year
THINK: PAN'S LABYRINTH - Mexico
WANT: PAN'S LABYRINTH - Mexico

the only one i've seen here.  interested in Days and Lives though.

Achievement in art direction
THINK: DREAMGIRLS
WANT: PAN'S LABYRINTH

i think Dreamgirls will stack up a buncha wins (prob more than any other film) and it will do so in these technical categories.  it will be the Academy's way of saying "I'm sorry!" about Best Picture.

Achievement in costume design
THINK: DREAMGIRLS
WANT: MARIE ANTOINETTE

again, Dreamgirls will sweep this crapola.

Achievement in visual effects
THINK: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST
WANT: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST

how good was Davy Jones!  why only 3 nominees here though?  i know 16 movies last year had special effects and that should make 5 nominees.

Achievement in makeup
THINK: PAN'S LABYRINTH
WANT: PAN'S LABYRINTH

c'mon Pan's.

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
THINK: THE QUEEN - Alexandre Desplat
WANT: PAN'S LABYRINTH - Javier Navarrete

Pan's score was the most memorable of these.  too bad The Fountain score will be used in like a dozen trailers and commercials for the NFL as it was the best score of last year.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ASmith

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 25, 2007, 06:58:18 PM
What are you doing for the next 8 hours? Join us in the chat room as you watch the ceremony.

Was chat working for you?  It only got as far as loading the blue background for me.

grand theft sparrow

MacGuffin

We're having problems with it right now, not sure why.

As it stands, we were all kicked out, but it says we are still in there and it won't let us in twice.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

JG

...and we were having such a good time!   :yabbse-undecided:

ono

I've sent invites to a few people on AIM for a xixaxoscars chat, so that'll hopefully help us get things going again.  Much more reliable.  Get on AIM, or send me a PM with your screenname, and I'll invite you too.

©brad

ono

It's wrong that Hudson won, period.  Get on AIM, everyone.  It's a chat of four people now.  Almost a party.

Kal

MacGuffin

Sorry, everyone. It was fun while it lasted. We'll have it sorted out by next year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Just get an IRC chat room like we had before.  None of this flash chat shit.

And now it is a party.  Our AIM chat is kicking, with 8 people in now.  Join us, why don't you?

MacGuffin

Academy Awards, USA: 2007

Best Motion Picture of the Year
Winner: The Departed (2006) - Graham King

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Winner: Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland (2006)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Winner: Helen Mirren for The Queen (2006)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Winner: Alan Arkin for Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Winner: Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls (2006)

Best Achievement in Directing
Winner: Martin Scorsese for The Departed (2006)

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Winner: Little Miss Sunshine (2006) - Michael Arndt

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Winner: The Departed (2006) - William Monahan

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Winner: Laberinto del Fauno, El (2006) - Guillermo Navarro

Best Achievement in Editing
Winner: The Departed (2006) - Thelma Schoonmaker

Best Achievement in Art Direction
Winner: Laberinto del Fauno, El (2006) - Eugenio Caballero, Pilar Revuelta

Best Achievement in Costume Design
Winner: Marie Antoinette (2006) - Milena Canonero

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Winner: Babel (2006) - Gustavo Santaolalla

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Winner: An Inconvenient Truth (2006) - Melissa Etheridge("I Need To Wake Up")

Best Achievement in Makeup
Winner: Laberinto del Fauno, El (2006) - David Martí, Montse Ribé

Best Achievement in Sound
Winner: Dreamgirls (2006) - Michael Minkler, Bob Beemer, Willie D. Burton

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Winner: Letters from Iwo Jima (2006) - Alan Robert Murray, Bub Asman

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
Winner: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) - John Knoll, Hal T. Hickel, Charles Gibson, Allen Hall

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
Winner: Happy Feet (2006) - George Miller

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Winner: Leben der Anderen, Das (2006)(Germany)

Best Documentary, Features
Winner: An Inconvenient Truth (2006) - Davis Guggenheim

Best Documentary, Short Subjects
Winner: The Blood of Yingzhou District (2006) - Ruby Yang, Thomas Lennon

Best Short Film, Animated
Winner: The Danish Poet (2006) - Torill Kove

Best Short Film, Live Action
Winner: West Bank Story (2005) - Ari Sandel

Skeleton FilmWorks