Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2006, 03:23:18 PM

picolas

hedwig, if you're okay with it why don't you watch it?

Kal

The trailer is up in Apple.

Meh....

Ravi

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/hd/

TV: That's damn fine coffee you got here in Twin Peaks! And damn good cherry pie!

Homer: Brilliant! [laughs] I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Stefen

I was hoping the Navi would look better in HD quicktime than they did on yahoo this morning but they don't.  :yabbse-sad:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Very disappointing and I wanted to believe in this project because I thought James Cameron was the guy who could marry technology and story. We still have no idea about the story aspect of this movie, but it's sealed about the technology. Theater viewing may be a little bit better, but it won't help much. The shame is that digital effects are still only a few notches above the Final Fantasy movie from a few years ago.

In our lifetime, the situation may always be that digital will always look like digital. Too many other companies in other mediums explore digital effects so no film or filmmaker is going to leap frog huge corporate companies. The path to realistic and breathtaking digital effects may be a very slow walk and develop over time so by the time it's perfected, audiences will only know slight differences. They will be too ingrained to every development already.

polkablues

=

Cat-people from "Sleepwalkers"

+blue

+BIG EYES

My house, my rules, my coffee

Kal

lol that is amazing did you do that or got it somewhere?

polkablues

Somebody elsewhere mentioned the resemblance, so I whipped out the photoshop to illustrate the point.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

Holy shit, that's incredible. You need to whip up a YouTube video.

I think all this talk about digital being integrated with story or creating realistic-looking aliens or not looking cartoony is all kind of bullshit, because I just saw District 9 where all of those things were not a problem.
WWPTAD?

diggler

am i the only one that liked it?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Stefen

Quote from: ddiggler on August 21, 2009, 11:11:17 AM
am i the only one that liked it?

I liked it. I just think the Na'vi look cartoony as fuck.

I Love a Magician

isn't mindblowing in the least; the Colours and Textures are nice looking but the sense of actual physical weight and movement that almost all CGI misses is still absent; they need to figure out how to "dirty up" CGI to make it look real

MacGuffin

`Avatar' previews held worldwide for eager fans
Source: AP

LOS ANGELES - If James Cameron wanted to light up the Internet by releasing footage from his upcoming film "Avatar," he got his wish — just don't expect him to be glued to a computer screen, soaking up the online buzz.

The "Titanic" director has people for that.

"I've had it kind of broken down for me, what people are talking about," Cameron said Friday. "I know we have right now, historically, broken the record for the total number of downloads for the trailer."

The two-minute online trailer for the 3D sci-fi epic, which debuted Thursday — and the unprecedented 16-minute previews shown in theaters worldwide Friday — inspired steady traffic on Twitter and Facebook. But Cameron, a champion of 3D technology and a pioneer of computer-generated effects in modern moviemaking, says he lacks certain social networking skills to take part.

"I don't even know how to Twitter," the 55-year-old filmmaker said in an interview Friday. "I'm so unhip that it's tragic."

Unhip maybe, but forward-thinking enough to try the "crazy stunt" that he says he and his team came up with: Invite people to the movie theater to watch 16 minutes of scenes for free. The footage was being shown Friday on 102 screens domestically and 342 screens internationally — 58 countries in all — to fans who scored free tickets online.

"And it's not even a continuous 16 minutes," Cameron said. "There are a number of scenes, about three or four minutes apiece. And the idea was to let people come in and really sample the quality of the goods."

Cameron, whose last film was world box-office record-holder "Titanic" in 1997, already knows how to make a splash on screen. Reactions to the mammoth marketing blitz were rolling in on the Web, where "Avatar" was among the top topics on Twitter on Thursday.

Many were struck by its visual splendor, including Hong Kong moviegoer Jason Poon, who tweeted that it was "probably the best CG and 3-D I've ever seen." James Hilder in London said it was "mega impressive."

One fan disappointed with the online trailer said seeing the extended preview in 3D changed his mind about the movie.

"It is essential that you watch it in IMAX 3D, or 3D," Manoj Patel wrote on the film's Facebook page. "I just got back from watching the 15-minute footage, and I've got to say, my mouth was wide open all the way through."

Not all the early reactions were laudatory.

In Tel Aviv, Shay Ringel tweeted after a screening: "What was THAT?! ... Everyone walked out (scratching) their heads saying, `Why are we here?'"

Analyzing the trailer, several movie blogs — including Movieline.com and Spout blog — noted similarities to the 2008 animated flop "Delgo" and other science fiction movies.

The studio makes no bones about it: Showing the footage, much of which was seen at Comic-Con last month in San Diego, was an effort by Cameron and 20th Century Fox to build buzz for the film, said Jeffrey Godsick, executive vice president of marketing for Fox.

"Honestly, it's a pretty simple goal: We'd like as many people as possible to learn about the world of 'Avatar,'" he said, adding that fan interaction online adds to the fun. "What's exciting about this, by having all these events on one day — especially with the Internet — is it gives you a worldwide communal experience, and 'Avatar' is an experience."

Studios usually closely guard footage of movies before their release, only occasionally offering glimpses to the public at special events.

"Avatar" tells the story of humans who travel to a distant planet and have their brains linked to cloned versions of a native species in order to explore the otherwise unsafe environment. It will be released in its entirety Dec. 18.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

the first couple minutes of live action i thought i could get into it then came the blue people and it became a dreamworks cartoon. i think cameron become too wrapped up in the technology instead of the story and too disconnected from what makes something good.  i think it might be time to bury him, zemeckis and spielberg.  i have transferred all my anticipation for this to Inception.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.