Weeds (showtime)

Started by squints, January 16, 2006, 09:05:44 PM

ono

Here's a spoileriffic, funny sneak preview of the finale.  This season has been great.  If I didn't know it'd been renewed for a seventh season, I'd be worried for Nancy.  But, considering she's toxic, why should I be?  I feel more for Andy and Silas.  A deliciously creepy goodbye between him and his mom after he found out about Lars.  Shane's gone past redemption, and into comic relief territory.  Warren is just nuts.  I feel sorry for Doug.  That little ending montage for the last episode was pitch perfect, though.

ono

Thwack.  It's back.  Three years ahead in time.

It's good to see these people again, and heartening to see the guys have stuck together after Nancy threw herself on the timebomb she created.  For self-preservation, Nancy's gone lesbo arms dealer, and her manipulative bones still remain intact.  Shane still loves his mommy.  Can't wait for next week, and when they see each other again.  Glad they've found a way to keep Doug in (and Celia nowhere to be seen).  Last season was probably the best yet, and it's unlikely this will end it all.  It'll be interesting to see if Nancy's going to turn over a leaf or a new trick.  Mixed feelings about whether she gets her kid back.  Jennifer Jason-Leigh plays evil/vengeful sister TOO well.  I enjoyed this episode and knew it was good because after 25 minutes I was surprised to see it cut to black so fast.

polkablues

Half-hour episodes have always felt too short for this show.  I'm happy to have it back.  Nancy Botwin is such a compelling character, even when the show is coasting it still holds interest.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

Quote from: ono on June 30, 2011, 05:00:18 PM
1 For self-preservation, Nancy's gone lesbo arms dealer, and her manipulative bones still remain intact.

2 Jennifer Jason-Leigh plays evil/vengeful sister TOO well. 

3 I enjoyed this episode and knew it was good because after 25 minutes I was surprised to see it cut to black so fast.

1. agree, is there something she wouldnt do for self-preservation? we havent seen yet what line she wouldnt cross.

2. she does indeed, hate her guts already.

3. TOO short, imdb has now only seven listed, I hope it'll be the usual 13.

©brad

Why would Nancy chose now of all times, when she's living in a halfway house and prone to random drug tests, to get stoned? The drug test cliffhanger at the end was also weak because we know she's not going back to prison this early in the season. Also I really wish Showtime and HBO would stop showing us scenes from the next episode right after they cut to black. I like listening to the credit songs as I digest the episode. The Sopranos was always great at this.

That all being said I am enjoying this season so far. That opening scene with Nancy's roommate having phone sex was hysterical.

ono

After a blah episode or two, this last one, Object Impermanence was just a pretty amazing episode.  I don't like Heylia at all.  She's almost as bad as Celia (who I'm so glad isn't returning, knock the fuck on any wood surface).  So I was skeptical at first after last week's cliffhanger.  At least we got to see Dean again.  Love Shane using his smarts to help Andy and himself.  Loved the conversation between Silas and Nancy in the field, that booby-trapped garden of sorts.  Great atmosphere, and it avoided the anvils while still being funny and poignant.  It's scenes like these, and the one where Nancy lets Silas go, that remind me why this show is still worth a damn, and why I stuck by it through the doldrums, the ups and downs, of the Esteban years.  Nancy leaving Silas is just this act of letting go that shows all's not lost.  It was a selfish and selfless act all at once.  And her final monologue voiceover reminded me of others (namely the one where she thinks she's driving to her death when Esteban has asked to see her, and she buys a gift basket for Silas).  Now here's to a Dean and Doug reunion.  And Isabel?  What of her?

theyarelegion

this show is like and filmed like one bad play going on forever and after the last episode i'm gonna skip watching any more...no thank you. why do we watch this shit? pure soap

squints

Quote from: theyarelegion on August 02, 2011, 07:01:19 PM
this show is like and filmed like one bad play going on forever and after the last episode i'm gonna skip watching any more...no thank you. why do we watch this shit? pure soap

i started this thread, and i gave up on this show a loooooong time ago
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Fernando

Quote from: ono on August 02, 2011, 05:05:11 PM
And her final monologue voiceover reminded me of others (namely the one where she thinks she's driving to her death when Esteban has asked to see her, and she buys a gift basket for Silas).

yep, that moment was pretty great, and the basket scene is probably my fave of the series, MLP was stellar...

©brad

Quote from: Fernando on August 04, 2011, 04:20:33 PM
Quote from: ono on August 02, 2011, 05:05:11 PM
And her final monologue voiceover reminded me of others (namely the one where she thinks she's driving to her death when Esteban has asked to see her, and she buys a gift basket for Silas).

yep, that moment was pretty great, and the basket scene is probably my fave of the series, MLP was stellar...

My favorite moment of the series remains Nancy's long stare at the TV footage of her and Judah making love with "ballerina" by Leona Naess playing in the background. The gift basket was a close second.

This season has been interesting so far. I have no idea where they're going. I read they shot two endings, one a season finale and the other a series finale as they don't know whether Showtime is bringing them back for an 8th season. I'm as big a fan as anyone but even I think they should put it in park after this one.

I did cheer when Heylia came back last episode. That was nice.

polkablues

I've spent a good two minutes now trying to make rhyme or reason of those words in that order. Please clarify.
My house, my rules, my coffee

theyarelegion

Quote from: polkablues on August 04, 2011, 09:37:27 PM

I've spent a good two minutes now trying to make rhyme or reason of those words in that order. Please clarify.

I've spent a good two minutes now trying to understand what you find unclear. Please clarify.

ono

Well, the season (series?) finale was last night.  Though the series has drifted far from its roots, I can't help but have enjoyed this last season.  The finale, I think, was especially poignant.  My favorite part was the scene between Andy and Silas at the funeral.  Andy, some sort of moral center, finally figuring it out, bringing everyone together.  I thought the flash forward was a nice touch.  A possible reset, with shit set to hit the fan (yet again) if they go on with the eighth season.  I will look forward to seeing where it goes (as long as they didn't shoot Nancy in the head).  But, hey, make a decision, go with it, writers.  No copout ending bullshit.  Though I haaaate Jill it would be interesting to see if they make her a regular next year.  And Shane as a cop?  Yeesh.

Oh, and an interview with Jenji Kohan.

Fernando

I've always enjoyed this series, and the latter seasons are even better (and  crazier).

SPOILS

it felt like a finale, but in that int. you posted she talks about doing S8, so Nancy cannot be done, can she? that would be crazy, doing another season without her unless they do it in flash backs  :yabbse-undecided:

I hope showtime green lights one more season. also she talks that the shooter is someone from her not so recent past...

ono