saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

cine

And all of these fucks just posted here to laugh at Ashlee Simpson... and the show itself DID top Affleck and Latifah too.  :evil:

I think I'm looking forward to the Winslet/Eminem show. A lot...

RegularKarate

I noticed the sketches... mostly the usual, bland, boring crap... couple of decent ones.

Not one good laugh on weekend update, which is why I usually watch.

The only really good stuff on this episode was the shorts with the Bears.  That was good stuff... the shorts and the fake commercials are usually the best thing about SNL, too bad they can't get away with not being live all the time.

meatball

The last show was pretty forgettable. The only thing I noticed is how cleverly they scheduled the skits so that Jude Law was barely in anything. He's not a funny guy. Oh, and Ashlee's screwup.

©brad

i thought jude was one of the only hysterical things about the show. the tony blair/ michael kaine peter o'toole skits were funny.  

this is why comedy is the hardest thing to do.  

and ashlee's screw-up. yeah, funny indeed. but really, all those hot over-produced pop stars do it (save christina aguilera, the only one of them with verifiable talent).

ono

Quotethis is why comedy is the hardest thing to do
Exactly.  I'm realizing more and more my sense of humor is pretty much opposite to most people here, except Cinephile (at least as far as SNL goes).  Though I do agree the Caine/O'Toole sketch was great after getting to watch it again.  The Bear shorts were horrible IMO, and SNL hasn't had a really great commercial in a while.  The pubic hair shampoo and racial tension headache medicine ones were very good, though.  I don't think anything will ever top Phil Hartman's cluckin' chicken, though Huggies thongs came close when it first aired.  Gaystrogen and Wade Blasingame were pretty good too.  Seems like the more commercials they do the more likely they are to have one good one.  And they have been doing a lot of those lately.

I too am looking forward to next week's show a lot.  Winslet is an excellent actress obviously, so hopefully she'll be one with good comedic timing.  Eternal Sunshine proved she can do comedy, but sketch stuff is a little different.  What I've heard of Eminem's new stuff is great, but it always is, so that's something to look forward to as well.

Jeremy Blackman

No one has mentioned yet that she doesn't recognize it's the wrong song until the lyrics start.

ono

I hear she eats babies.

cine

I hear she uses someone else's mouth to eat them though.

MacGuffin

Ashlee Simpson Takes 'SNL' Lip Sync Blame

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Ashlee Simpson is reportedly taking the heat for deciding to lip-sync during a performance on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" over the weekend, a plan that backfired when the vocals to the wrong song were audible during her second appearance.

Simpson had already performed her single "Pieces of You" and had returned to the "SNL" stage to run through the title track of her Geffen debut album, "Autobiography." As the band kicked into the song, her vocals to the first song were heard while Simpson held her microphone at her side.

Flustered, she improvised a few dance steps before bolting from the stage. NBC quickly cut to a commercial.

At the close of the show, Simpson deflected the blame, telling the viewing audience "I feel so bad. My band started playing the wrong song." Geffen issued a statement blaming a computer glitch that should have played pre-recorded percussion rather than the "Pieces of You" vocals.

Simpson was reportedly singing a different tune Monday. MTV, home to her reality series "The Ashlee Simpson Show," reported on its Web site that Simpson admitted to lip syncing on the show because her voice has suffering from the stresses of a heavy promotional schedule.

"I can't cancel something like 'SNL,"' Simpson is said to have written in a post on her official Web site (http://www.ashleesimpsonmusic.com). "You and I know that even if I synched on it or not, I'd still get seen by millions, maybe even make a few more fans.

"I'll hold my head high and say I think it was silly of me to do it, silly of me to blame the band, I was just so f---ing embarrassed," she added. "But I don't think it did me much harm, and people will see that soon."

An attempt to find Simpson's original post is daunting, as her site's message board has become a battleground where her staunch fans are fighting to defend her from an onslaught of thousands of negative, even vicious posts.

Amidst the often-vulgar posts in the site's "open forum" is a quote lifted from a Lucky magazine interview where she was asked about lip-synching. "I'm totally against it and offended by it," she said. "I'm going out to let my real talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

why did she do a jig? it was so awkward
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinGeffen issued a statement blaming a computer glitch that should have played pre-recorded percussion rather than the "Pieces of You" vocals.
:laughing2:

Stefen

QuoteI was just so f---ing embarrassed," she added.

Did she really bleep the word fucking out on he rmessage board. If so, she surely lip synches. FRAUD!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

You're missing the bigger picture here.  I mean, she eats babies, and she uses other people's mouths to do it.

Stefen

Quote from: ono.You're missing the bigger picture here.  I mean, she eats babies, and she uses other people's mouths to do it.

My mother ate babies, it's no big deal. Shit happens.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Quote from: tvtome.comBeginning next season, SNL will be in HDTV.
Quote from: tvtome.comA picture in The Washington Post of Lorne Michaels reveals a bulletin board behind him with TENATIVE guests and dates.

It looks like:
     On January 15, Gwenyth Paltrow (promoting "Proof" will host with musical guest The Killers.

On January 22, Ice Cube (promoting "Are We There Yet?") or Topher Grace (promoting "In Good Company") will host with musical guest System of a Down and/or Franz Ferdinand or another musical guest. Topher might actually be hosting the next episode, it is unclear.

On April 9, Cameron Diaz (promoting "In Her Shoes") will host.

Colplay and Simple Plan will likely be musical guests sometime during this season.