There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

JG

doesn't he know penderecki isn't cool anymore? 

anyways, for the first time i'm really excited for this movie.  i want a scoreless PTA movie. 

Quote from: Pubrick on April 04, 2007, 11:51:10 AM
this will be his barryning shyndon.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

bluejaytwist

Quote from: modage on April 04, 2007, 03:53:00 PM
how come there was no update on cigsnvines about this?  its the biggest piece of news since....vincent froio

pauls assistant mentioned it to us
jeff posted it on fairxxx
i was lazy and didnt
ill put it up next update
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

yorick

Quote from: bigideas on April 04, 2007, 07:42:03 AM
Quote from: Hedwig on April 03, 2007, 10:55:08 PM
Quote from: bigideas on April 03, 2007, 09:41:38 PM
too, it's a period piece.
too, boogie nights was.

ok, fair shot.

a period piece where there was no recorded music at the time* (this is early 1900's, right?)

*i think(?)

in boogie nights are there any songs that are newer than the time period the movie is set in (it's been several years since i watched BN)?

I thought Boogie Nights was scored by Michael Penn, not Jon Brion. Although Jon did write some music, and the Clementine Loop was used. I'm not 100% on this.
Yorick

Pubrick

Quote from: yorick on April 10, 2007, 03:57:47 PM
I thought Boogie Nights was scored by Michael Penn, not Jon Brion. Although Jon did write some music, and the Clementine Loop was used. I'm not 100% on this.

the issue in question was not whether jon brion scored boogie nights, which is well established he did NOT (imdb, cigs and redvines, credits), but rather the rationale behind a complete departure in scoring approach.

ignoring hard eight which can be summarised as clementine's loop, PTA did indeed do pop-heavy soundtracks for boogie and maggie, and then not so much peedy. so all bigideas was pointing out was that the transition might in this case be drastic enough to do away with a composer altogether (though i doubt he will use penderecki instead, too shinny --- unless we have the tone of this movie all wrong) or at least experiment with a new one.

i agree with the reasoning but not the conclusion, because brion can do whatever the hell he wants.

click this link to introduce yourself
under the paving stones.

yorick

Quote from: Pubrick on April 10, 2007, 08:43:48 PM
the issue in question was not whether jon brion scored boogie nights, which is well established he did NOT (imdb, cigs and redvines, credits), but rather the rationale behind a complete departure in scoring approach.

I agree. Hedwig had responded that Boogie Nights was a "period piece" to bigideas post stating that Brion might not be comfortable scoring a period piece. Hence my post.

Speaking for myself, I don't care who he gets to score it. I'm sure Paul knows what he wants and I'm looking forward to seeing the film--maybe at the NYFF in September, if I'm lucky.
Yorick

tpfkabi

Scoring a period piece in which you lived through (BN is 80's, right?.....if not 70's) is a lot different than scoring a period piece over half a century before you were born.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Red Vine

Quote from: bigideas on April 15, 2007, 10:34:32 PM
Scoring a period piece in which you lived through (BN is 80's, right?.....if not 70's) is a lot different than scoring a period piece over half a century before you were born.

Plus, the Boogie Nights score wasn't huge. The main piece was (I'm assuming) The Big Top (which is still one of the most brilliant things I've ever heard). But the pop 70s/80s songs took up 95% of the soundtrack. I think PTA could be successful not using a score (or any music for that matter) in one of his films. This could be the one.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Pubrick

Quote from: RedVines on April 16, 2007, 10:55:21 AM
I think PTA could be successful not using a score (or any music for that matter) in one of his films. This could be the one.
why? for the gimmick? not using a score is like not using dialogue. sure he could make a silent film, but why the fuck would he? with this and JG's similar comment it really strikes me that some of you don't even realise what you're saying.

"hey i bet he could make a movie blindfolded, i'd like to see that!"
"hey what if he made a movie without using the colour blue?? that would be so awesome!"
"geez i wish he'd make a movie without making a movie.. uh.."

i hope he NEVER makes a film without a score.
under the paving stones.

JG

Quote from: Pubrick on April 16, 2007, 11:15:08 AM
Quote from: RedVines on April 16, 2007, 10:55:21 AM
I think PTA could be successful not using a score (or any music for that matter) in one of his films. This could be the one.
why? for the gimmick? not using a score is like not using dialogue. sure he could make a silent film, but why the fuck would he? with this and JG's similar vapid comment it really strikes me that some of you don't even realise what you're saying.

"hey i bet he could make a movie blindfolded, i'd like to see that!"
"hey what if he made a movie without using the colour blue?? that would be so awesome!"
"geez i wish he'd make a movie without making a movie.. uh.."

i hope he NEVER makes a film without a score.

i own up to my post being fanboyish and lacking any insight, but no dialogue and no score are not analogous. to bring up a movie i'm pretty sure you loved, would l'enfant be the same with a score?  this is not say the success of the movie depended upon a score/no score, nor will PTA's, but i think its an important stylistic decision.  to bring up a movie i'm pretty sure you didn't love, i think children of men benefited in a similar way in restricting itself to no score.   

on the other hand, i would say that a silent movie would be strictly a gimmick and probably (?) boring. 

but my post stemmed from the fact that i've been leaning toward the idea of a scoreless movie with my own project, and the fact that PTA might share that sentiment is neat.  again, fanboyish, but i'm pretty sure i know what i'm saying. 

matt35mm

Children of Men did have a score.

I don't think not having a score is gimmicky at all.  Ingmar Bergman's movies frequently had no score, or sometimes classical music used diagetically.  L'Enfant is another good example.  It's often an effective choice, and creates a different tone altogether.

I don't particularly think that PTA is actually going scoreless (that's admittedly wild speculation), but the choice of no score is more than just a gimmick.  A good filmmaker should simply pay attention to what works, rather than assuming that all films need this or that, or assuming that a Jon Brion score is what's best for the film.  I think we can trust that PTA is going to make choices that work for the film, as his sensitivity to the form is as sharp a one as there has ever been.

The Red Vine

Quote from: matt35mm on April 16, 2007, 12:29:21 PM

I don't think not having a score is gimmicky at all.  Ingmar Bergman's movies frequently had no score, or sometimes classical music used diagetically.  L'Enfant is another good example.  It's often an effective choice, and creates a different tone altogether.

I don't particularly think that PTA is actually going scoreless (that's admittedly wild speculation), but the choice of no score is more than just a gimmick.  A good filmmaker should simply pay attention to what works, rather than assuming that all films need this or that, or assuming that a Jon Brion score is what's best for the film.  I think we can trust that PTA is going to make choices that work for the film, as his sensitivity to the form is as sharp a one as there has ever been.

Exactly.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

JG

Quote from: matt35mm on April 16, 2007, 12:29:21 PM

i thought that it might, but it was certainly much more refined than most movies of that nature (eg. no triumphant strings at climactic moments).  the movie was mostly scoreless, no? 

i also want to add that the whole score/no score issue is pretty meaningless until we actually see how well the sound design is integrated into the actual film.  everything else is fanboy (word of the day) speculation, which is fun, but its just that.  

Gold Trumpet

It's not effective to compare PTA to the Dardennes or the films that Ingmar Bergman made that were bare and had no score at all. Both filmmakers only went scoreless when dealing with projects that were small and had a focus almost as small. By all illustrations of what There Will Be Blood will encompass, it will benefit from a score. When Sam Peckinpah went into The Wild Bunch, he wanted to do a scoreless film but he was convinced out of it. The composer he talked to said a large film of scope and size like his would lose all emotion if he didn't have a score to help move the action. So Peckinpah adopted a score and later admitted it was the right idea.

polkablues

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on April 16, 2007, 12:47:33 PM
It's not effective to compare PTA to the Dardennes or the films that Ingmar Bergman made that were bare and had no score at all. Both filmmakers only went scoreless when dealing with projects that were small and had a focus almost as small. By all illustrations of what There Will Be Blood will encompass, it will benefit from a score. When Sam Peckinpah went into The Wild Bunch, he wanted to do a scoreless film but he was convinced out of it. The composer he talked to said a large film of scope and size like his would lose all emotion if he didn't have a score to help move the action. So Peckinpah adopted a score and later admitted it was the right idea.

Exactly.  Not using any score only works when the story is tiny, intimate, and naturalistic.  PTA's stories tend towards the grand, operatic, and stylized.  Not having a score in that context would wrench the audience right out of the film.
My house, my rules, my coffee