There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

Ghostboy

Quote from: godardian on February 01, 2006, 05:16:05 PM
I just picked up a copy of the book, but I've no idea when I'll find the time to read it. MAYBE before the film is shot/edited/released.  :yabbse-smiley: Has anyone here read it? What's your take?

I read the book last year (my short review here/. It's a terrific read, so I'd recommend it even if (or, rather, especially if) the movie is only going to be loosely based on it. From Sal's description, it seems the script, in focusing on the father, takes the opposite approach of the book, which is all about the son.

Sal

Quote from: polkablues on February 03, 2006, 11:59:32 PM
Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known As on February 03, 2006, 09:50:22 PM
At a production company... just like that.  Used to be so protective of leakage.

But if it was "Snakes on a Plane" it would have been locked in a metal briefcase and handcuffed to an intern with a cyanide capsule in his tooth.

Actually I got that one too, but it's called Pacific Air 121. 

JG

you guys think there's a chance we'll get our hands on a script any time soon?  If so, will you read it?

©brad

i don't understand why anyone would want to read the script before seeing the movie.

The Red Vine

Quote from: ©brad on February 04, 2006, 10:38:17 AM
i don't understand why anyone would want to read the script before seeing the movie.

It would be cool to read it and imagine what PTA was gonna do with the scenes. But yeah, I probably wouldn't read it.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

md

Quote from: ©brad on February 04, 2006, 10:38:17 AM

its kinda like an imaginary cinematic iq test
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Pozer

I would first read the opening then flip to somewhere in the middle and read a scene.  It would be fun to recognize that later on.  After that, it would be quite the challenge to keep away from it, no doubt.

Sal, send me a copy, I'm up for the test.

Ordet

id love to read it. cmmon we´re film geeks. sal from the read and it being a period film does it seem like its gonna be expensive? The word is it wil be over 25 mil.
reading it would be like seeing the girl you are in love with naked, before you even date her.
were spinning

last days of gerry the elephant

I wouldn't mind browsing the script myself, I probably won't read it entirely though... or would I? It's hard to say :p

(btw, I'm new here and this is my first post, nice to see other fans around! I'm sure it'll be a pleasant experience!)

MacGuffin

Quote from: musse on February 07, 2006, 09:54:50 PM
(btw, I'm new here and this is my first post, nice to see other fans around! I'm sure it'll be a pleasant experience!)

Welcome. Share yourself here:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=2.0
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: Roman Cibeles on February 07, 2006, 08:17:01 PMreading it would be like seeing the girl you are in love with naked, before you even date her.

yeah but doesn't that spoil the surprise when you finally do get to sleep with her? kind of like a pleasure-delayer thing, where you anticipate what she looks like naked and you build excitement and on opening night you finally get her back to your place and...

oh fuck it. read the goddamn thing. what do i care.

JG

i am still conflicted about seeing infernal affairs before i see the departed.  do you feel it's the same principle?

matt35mm

Quote from: JimmyGator on February 08, 2006, 04:24:24 PM
i am still conflicted about seeing infernal affairs before i see the departed.  do you feel it's the same principle?
I don't think it is (I know you weren't asking me, but I wanted to chime in anyway).  Infernal Affiairs is its own piece of work, never designed to be adapted.  Additionally, Infernal Affairs is probably about as worth watching as The Departed will be, so if you saw The Departed first, it's still seeing one movie before the other.

Ideally, The Departed will not be so similar to Infernal Affairs that it doesn't have its own thing that you can focus on.  Secondly, I feel that the plot doesn't matter that much; it's more about the characters and the interesting setup.

Reading a screenplay first, however, can make for a distracting experience when you finally see the film.  You'll inevitably be too interested in how the movie was put together rather than being invested in any of it.  It's very interesting to read screenplays for movies you've already seen, though, and then rewatch the movie, at which point you can afford to let your mind focus on the nuts and bolts of how it went from the page to the screen, executionally (if that's a word).

The main difference, to sum up, is that a screenplay is designed to be seen as a movie more than read.  However, a movie (Infernal Affairs) was designed to be seen, and the re-make should have the balls to be its own movie enough that it can complement, instead of detracting from, the first movie.  You couldn't say the same thing if a movie didn't have the balls to be different from its own screenplay, as that was the point of the screenplay in the first place.

I hope that made some sense.

Astrostic

Here is a Glowing review of the script for There Will Be Blood posted today at Latino Review. Sounds like he's a bit of a biased fanboy, but his excitement is good news to me, nonetheless.

http://latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=20