Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

john

This is a damn fine show, highlighted by a very good season finale.

But this board cuts television shows a lot more slack than films. Maybe, collectively the interest here for television is more passive and not as passionate as it is for film.

Because Lost has degenerated numerous times into bullshit theatrics and soap opera tactics. Last night, while very good, still wasn't much of an exception.

I mean, I like it... it has some really elevated moments.

It just really seems like well made, superficial fun to me. Not bad by any regard, just not as weighty as it believes itself to be.

And Charlie's death, while nicely shot, seemed really forced.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: kal on May 24, 2007, 04:42:12 PM
Now that Walt is back (or maybe he is not) maybe Michael will be back as well. The Jacob storyline is there, and a bunch of other things like the smoke monster and other Dharma-Others questions.
I doubt it was Walt in the flesh. That wouldn't make sense, as he would have been with Locke in the final scene, or with Michael....or something. It was staged in such a way that it looked like an hallucination. I'm thinking Jacob (or the island) was talking to Locke in the form of Walt. Wasn't there a thing in the first season where Walt could hear voices and see the future? Also, the Others wanted Walt back when he was on the island. Sawyer even took care to bring that moment up when he shot Tommy. I think the Others wanted Walt for the same reason they wanted Locke, because they suspected he could converse/interact with Jacob (the island). So it makes sense to me at least that Jacob would use "Walt" as his messenger. Perhaps Shannon's run-in with Walt last season was also the same thing.  I dunno, just an idea.

Kal

Quote from: sparrowhoff on May 24, 2007, 12:39:00 PM
Sayid has seen combat, knows when people are lying, is not above torture as a means of getting people to tell the truth, ALWAYS knows what's going on but no one listens to him most of the time, and can snap a man's neck with his feet still bound.

He's the Jack Bauer of the island.

I remembered Jack Bauer at the beginning when Sayid is telling Jack not to come back. He said that he would give his life if it meant that they were getting rescued. But after he says that he says "do you understand me?". Thats classic Jack Bauer.

picolas

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on May 24, 2007, 08:39:01 PMPerhaps Shannon's run-in with Walt last season was also the same thing.  I dunno, just an idea.
i think that's almost certainly what it was.

- when it went to jack sitting against the wall at the end, just then i was thinking oh my god this is the future and the brilliance was paralyzing.

- i think it would be incredible if the next season took place in the future and was about getting back and the reason for getting back was informed by flashbacks to the island/ultimate rescue. i don't think the standard coverage of events on the island will show it now that they're all together. and standard flashbacks are pretty much obsolete now that they've done this. really this is one of the most brilliant twists ever. they remain lost in the real world. the show can only end the moment both we and they aren't. or can it?

- for the first time ever i fully trust the people in charge of this. it's been difficult to trust such a thing ever since the matrix.

- i loved the locke gun-pointing at jack. you don't want jack to die but you just know he shouldn't answer the phone but you don't know why but he really shouldn't! it was a great moment for locke when he said "jack.." and lowered the gun too cause he's been bordering on monster for a while.

- if the guy in the casket is someone we haven't met, he's got a lot to live die up to.

- i've heard a theory that when they get back to the real world the present they remember has been altered in some way, which explains why jack's dad is alive and kate isn't a fugitive and (pure speculation) perhaps other things like hugo isn't rich.. good, yet unexplainable changes and they all know it's not their world. this might be what jack means by "I'm sick of lying!" and it would explain his addiction a little.

- i don't know why the "ahahwoo-oooooh ooh. yea yea yea yea ya"-music wasn't playing in hurley's van. aside from maybe killing the element of surprise. but it would've been an awesome addition throughout the whole scene. i might have to re-edit/youtube it.

- easily the best use of the phrase "through the looking glass" since the original.

- even though i can't wait 9 months, they couldn't have given everyone more to talk about.

picolas

Pozer

"The body of John Lantham of New York was found shortly after 4 am in the 4300 block of Grand Avenue.

Ted Worden, a doorman at the Tower Lofts complex, heard loud noises coming from the victim's loft.

Concerned for tenants' safety, he entered the loft and found the body hanging from a beam in the living room.

According to Jaime Ortiz, a police spokesman, the incident was deemed a suicide after medical tests. Latham (sic) is survived by one teenaged son.

Memorial services will be held at the Hoffs-Drawlar Funeral Home tomorrow evening."

modage

Quote from: picolas on May 25, 2007, 03:22:43 PM
i youtube'd it.
that is incredible(y funny).  it will have a billion views in a few weeks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

WHO THE HELL IS JOHN LANTHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JG

hmm, michael?  maybe he was forced to change his identity upon leaving the island?  edit: hey now, a google search for john lantham led me to a wikipedia page for artist john latham..

either way, the fact that this episode will have us guessing for so long is awesome. 

Quote from: modage on May 25, 2007, 04:11:55 PM
i youtube'd it.

yeah, this is really great. 

edit 2:  more on john latham from wikipedia. 

"Perhaps the culmination of Latham's fusion of art, science and sociology was the concept of Flat Time. In its most basic form, it is represented by a canvas attached at the top to a cylinder which rolls up and unrolls on an electric motor. The back of the canvas faces outwards so that the image is only visible along the cylinder at the point where it unrolls. This represents the present moment in passing time which can only be made sense of when related to what has already gone, the past, represented by the image on the back of the canvas."

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: pozer on May 25, 2007, 04:06:55 PM
"The body of John Lantham of New York was found shortly after 4 am in the 4300 block of Grand Avenue.

Ted Worden, a doorman at the Tower Lofts complex, heard loud noises coming from the victim's loft.

Concerned for tenants' safety, he entered the loft and found the body hanging from a beam in the living room.

According to Jaime Ortiz, a police spokesman, the incident was deemed a suicide after medical tests. Latham (sic) is survived by one teenaged son.

Memorial services will be held at the Hoffs-Drawlar Funeral Home tomorrow evening."

So where did you read that?

EDIT: Never mind.

mogwai

that must be michael who died. and is survived by his teenage son (walt?).

picolas

Quote from: modage on May 25, 2007, 04:11:55 PM
i youtube'd it.
UPDATE FROM YESTERDAY: #20 - Most Viewed (Today) - Autos & Vehicles - English

woo.

MacGuffin

"Lost: The Complete Third Season -- The Unexplored Experience" streets Dec. 11 on DVD and Blu-ray Disc. The 23-episode, seven-disc set comes with a one-on-one with star Matthew Fox, a featurette on "The Others," a documentary chronicling 24 hours in production and a selection of never-before-seen flashbacks. Also included are behind-the-scenes looks at 10 episodes, audio commentaries, deleted scenes and bloopers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I heard that Harrold Perrinau (Michael) was considering an offer to return as series regular for S4.

Let the fucking S4 rumors begin while we fucking wait like idiots...