Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

Ravi

Good thing I only watch ABC is when Lost is on.

Chest Rockwell

The Others chick really creeped me out, how unflichingly she was able to speak bullshit to Jack. I hope she's not as two-faced as she seems to be...

Anyway, pretty good episode. Except those two new characters are still really awkward.

A Matter Of Chance

...spoilers....

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on November 01, 2006, 09:04:55 PM
those two new characters are still really awkward.

I hope their writing gets better for them. Right now it seems pretty clunky. I also winced when she asked about the TVs and Locke said 'well don't I feel stupid.'

Anyway, I thought this episode was the most interesting one of this season. Next Wednesday I will be on a plane and thus not watching Lost.

Gamblour.

SPOILERS

I did not know anyone was going to die. I was surprised, and that weird Regis and Kelly theory was correct....

I'm not sure how I feel. It feels like a big waste, now only Bernard is left from the tail section, right?

That videotape was brilliant.
WWPTAD?

modage

SPOILERS

i dont like how tidy everything has been cleaned up as far as introducing 3 major characters and getting rid of them.  it's like season 2 never happened.  it felt like it was 'time to get rid of somebody' more than i thought his story was really done with.  there have been several occasions in the show where they hint at something that you feel can be explored in an interesting way and then they wont do that.  ("how long would it take to train an army?")  i thought that locke and eko's differences could've been explored further as their butting of heads was not as severe as it could've been.  eh, he was an interesting character and i felt there was more to him than we had time to see.  maybe thats the point.

yeah the new people are SO awkward.  and damn things are just getting crowded, i think they may finally have too many characters and are losing the balance when charlie and sayid are wandering around in the background giving a line or two. 

also: to believe julia or is THAT TOO part of the elaborate con.  i kinda hope so because if ben is so bad why dont they just get rid of him?  ben, meet cage, we're overthrowing you.  and if the stuff ben told jack about 'we were going to break you to get you to do stuff for us' wasnt a lie, its really really hard to believe.  why go through these lengths?  why not have just introduced yourself in the first place?  hey we're the others feel free to chill with us, oh ps. is anyone a spinal surgeon?  there have got to be other motives here. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

the blond housewife HAS to be evil, otherwise it's just too easy.  but, as someone who just watch it every once a while without following it too closely--can someone fill me in on why the Others are so terrible and threatening?  What have they done?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Eko is monster mash
By William Keck, USA TODAY

Last season, Lost's Mr. Eko (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) looked the island's mystical monster straight in the eye and lived to tell about it.

Last night on the ABC drama, Eko wasn't so lucky — the monster killed him.

With Eko's death, just one tail-section passenger is still around: Sam Anderson's Bernard. Last season, Michelle Rodriguez's Ana-Lucia and Cynthia Watros' Libby were shot by Michael (Harold Perrineau). With the departures of Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Perrineau and Malcolm David Kelley (Walt), there are no series regulars who are black.

Akinnuoye-Agbaje asked to be written off the series. After losing both parents last year, he wanted to return to his London home and work on a film he'll direct.

Elizabeth Mitchell, who plays Juliet, got to know him off the set. "We got along really well," she says. "He's about to direct his first movie about his life, which is an incredible story. He'll be missed."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

bernard wasn't really a tail section passenger though, he was out of his seat when the plane went down.

those two new characters better get interesting fast, every time they speak i get pulled out of the show.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pozer

maybe possible spoilers, hell i don't know
ADMIN EDIT: DEFINITE SPOILERS (THINK ABOUT IT)
NOTE: If it wasn't in an episode or a commercial, it's a spoiler about things to come therefore should be properly labeled as such.

i kinda wonder if the newbs are others, planted from the beginning, and are just now starting their 'assignments.'

regarding last weeks episode: "further instructions"

Although it did not happen in the episode, the plot synopsis from the initial press release stated that "Claire is shocked to find Nikki and Paulo in Jack's tent."

Kal

Well, there are many things that dont go together...

First, the whole Ben/Henry illness and stuff seems strange. That and what Juliet said about getting rid of him. There are no signs until now that he is a bad guy, or at least that he is not worse than the other Others. Besides, he is not 'the leader', as far as they said before this season. He reports to somebody else.

They have boats, and they have access to a lot of things from the 'World', so why cant he travel and get an operation? Or the Hanso Foundation can provide? Unless they have nothing to do with the Hanso Foundation, Dharma and Widmore, which means that there are yet other Others on the Island.

Also, if they wanted to get rid of him so bad, why did they sent Michael to rescue him? They could have left him there as a hostage and if he got back someday there would be a new leader already.

All that, plus what modage said of them introducing themselves in a friendly way, at least with Jack, and getting him to cooperate.

Also, I did not like Ecko's dead because it was totally expected and it sucked. When Ana Lucia died, nobody had a clue. Same with Shannon, and with Boone's accident. This was expected for many reasons. They were saying somebody will die all along. They are showing a parttern that whoever has the flashback that particular episode is the one dying. And this episode was good, but they focused so much on Ecko that the other characters didnt exist.

The other seasons, particularily the first one and beginning of the 2nd season, everyone participated somehow in most episodes, even if it was mostly about the flashback character. Now, in five episodes since the season started we've had Charlie say 3 or 4 lines, which were stupid. Claire does no exist. Desmond is almost doing nothing. Hurley also had like 10 seconds of screentime this episode. Jin and Sun were not there. I dont know, it seems like its changing a lot from the original format, which is what made the show great. The story and the mysteries are still good and thats what keeps us hooked, but even if we like this episodes cause we are so excited about seeing what happens next, you cannot compare them to the other seasons in terms of writing and coherence. Everything is connected, but something that before was very clear now you have to really think hard to connect the dots and see why they decided to do what they did.

And those 2 new characters suck. That is a proof they did not know how to introduce them. They did a great job introducing the tail guys, and Henry, and Rousseau, but this also show that they got a little sloppy. 

MacGuffin

'Lost's' Mr. Eko says goodbye
The character's death prompts anger and sadness, but actor Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje says the time was right.
Source: Los Angeles Times

The "Lost" monster is back.

The billowy black smoke that ambiguously frightened the castaways in past seasons returned with a vengeance on Wednesday, pummeling the island's favorite "tailie," Mr. Eko, the priest. In the most affecting death scene on the ABC drama thus far, Mr. Eko, who once had confronted the monster and forced it to retreat, this time surrendered, reciting the 23rd Psalm.

Mr. Eko, played by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, is the fifth central survivor to die since the jetliner crashed on the island. But the death of the criminal-turned-priest — or was he a man of faith who committed crimes for a greater good? — was the first to evoke such sadness and rage.

On ABC message boards and fan website lost-tv.com, Lost fans wasted no time expressing their feelings about the loss of the Nigerian priest who sat in the tail section of the plane and took a 40-day vow of silence when he survived the crash:

"How ... HOW?!?!?! Can you kill off arguably the most interesting, thought-provoking character in the series?" wrote one.

"He was my favorite character, and I am bawling like a dummy," wrote another fan.

"It's as if Eko was our good friend and more than a TV character," wrote a third. "We ... mourn the loss of Eko from the show."

The posters are not the only ones grieving. From the beginning, the show's producers knew Mr. Eko's time on the island would be brief. So they hastened the pace of the character's development, which, in turn, made the audience feel more attached.

A priest with a troubled past, Mr. Eko was the perfect counterpart to Locke (Terry O'Quinn), the only other castaway who seems aware of his destiny on the island. Fans on the Internet lamented the things they will miss the most: not seeing the church Mr. Eko was building on the island completed; and the personal touches he carved on the stick he carried. Others were downright furious, calling it "the worst episode ever."

With the other characters who died — Boone, Shannon, Ana Lucia and Libby — "there was a quotient of shock value but there was the idea that it made sense, that it was the characters' time," co-creator Damon Lindelof said. "I think the audience may feel that Mr. Eko was taken before his time. The way that he dies is very significant. It is more spectacular, as it were."

When planning Mr. Eko's untimely demise, the writers looked at the episode in the second season in which Mr. Eko came face-to-face with the monster inhabiting the island and refused to relent, Lindelof said. What if the monster did not give up, as it seemed at the time? What if the monster was "just intelligence-gathering for a later date?"

"We wanted to make clear that the monster remains a dangerous force," executive producer Carlton Cuse said.

For his part, Akinnuoye-Agbaje said during an interview at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills last week that his character's story arc was designed to "provoke thought and evaluation of your choices, your judgments, and what you believe."

"It was such a great way to go," Akinnuoye-Agbaje said of his character. "He was really comfortable with being on the island and had started to build a church and looked at his plight as an opportunity to strengthen and deepen his faith."

But did the man whose faith remained steady, despite all of the challenges the mystery island posed, deserve to die so violently? Fans were split: Some thought it was Mr. Eko's turn to pay for lives he has taken; others were more moved by the character's compassion. Akinnuoye-Agbaje understands the reaction. As he got to know Mr. Eko, he often asked himself: Is Mr. Eko a priest masquerading as a criminal, or a criminal masquerading as a priest?

"No matter how many heads he chops up, you know his heart is pure," Akinnuoye-Agbaje said. "Even in the law, when you're convicting a criminal, it says intent. So it always goes back to the heart. From the very beginning, Eko kills a man to save his brother's life, which sends him on a spiral of murder, plunder and what have you to survive. But that was the deepest act of compassion: to give up his soul to save another's."

Akinnuoye-Agbaje, who also stirred emotions with his fierce portrayal of gang leader Simon Adebisi on HBO's "Oz," said he accepted the role because he had never been asked to play a character whose essence was compassion and inner peace.

At the time, Akinnuoye-Agbaje was focused on completing a biographical script for a film he will direct about the African, Asian and West Indian immigrants brought to Britain after World War II to work and were forced to leave their children in the care of strangers, sometimes for good. Akinnuoye-Agbaje hopes to begin production in a few months, which is why he had to say goodbye to "Lost."

"There's a whole generation of African kids born in Britain who had this cross-cultural identity crisis," said Akinnuoye-Agbaje, who was born in Britain and was raised there and in Nigeria. "And they didn't fit in Nigeria either because they were these white people inside Nigerian bodies. This story gives this a voice but it's also a story of victory because it shows my struggle through that process to come where I am."

Although Losties on the Web argued that there was more ground to cover with Mr. Eko, Akinnuoye-Agbaje said he felt that once Mr. Eko helped Locke find his faith again, his mission on the island was realized.

"The way he died is brutal, but it's a beautiful ending " Akinnuoye-Agbaje said. "Eko lived this life of torture, living double lives and that's a lot of energy to be running for your life, pretending to be this guy, that guy, never really showing who you are.... There was no point but to surrender [to death] so he just gave himself to it. Not out of fear, but acceptance."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

I'm saying it again... muthaFUCK this three month wait shit!

And fuck Taye Diggs too!

modage

a good episode, but i had expected more as it was the mini-season finale.  and now kate and jack can never be together.    :yabbse-angry:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

That was quite an episode. Quite a cliffhanger, as well. I can't fucking stand that Kate and Sawyer did the nasty. I've been hoping, against my better judgement, that she and Jack might end up together but then this shit...

FUCK I can't wait 16 weeks. FUCKFUCKFUCK.

JG

This unfortunately was the worst of the bunch. 

Kate's backstory isn't really interesting, other than how cute she looked wearing her hair like that.  And the love triangle is one of the weaker parts of the show right now.