Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

Pozer

last 2 minutes left me lost though.

MacGuffin

Best fucking line... "I think I crashed your plane." God, that gave me chills.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 25, 2006, 01:13:49 AM
Best fucking line... "I think I crashed your plane." God, that gave me chills.

No, best line was Locke: "I was wrong."
My house, my rules, my coffee

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: pozeR on May 25, 2006, 01:09:57 AM
last 2 minutes left me lost though.

Then it's not just a clever name.

SPOILERS

OK, so Desmond's girlfriend is the daughter of the guy who owns the construction company that Michael worked for as well as the company that manufactured Sun's pregnancy test.  Now, if she had people looking for some sort of electromagnetic anomaly, this means that she knew this was going to happen and presumably that Desmond would have something to do with it.  This solidifies my theory that part of the mystery is that the Dharma Initiative has found a way to predict the future and manipulate events via chaos theory.  The connections are too great for it to be just coincidence, except that, you know, that's how it's written.  But if the writers are holding to the idea that everything can be scientifically explained, then there's your explanation for the pre-flight connections.  This is not just "one of those things."  This, please, cannot be that.

picolas

one thing i don't like is how this episode disproves the theories that the apocalypse/something apocalyptic has happened while everyone was on the island and returning home/rescue by someone else is impossible even though the island is so huge.

MacGuffin

An Explosive "Lost" Finale

As the second season of Lost concluded in a brain-bending two-hour finale Wednesday, viewers found answers to some of their questions while others were left unresolved.

(Warning: Obviously, the following article will reference plot points of the Lost season finale. Read no further if you don't want to know.)

Among the major mysteries explained: how Oceanic Flight 815 came to crash on the island; what exactly pushing the button does; and the story behind that guy, Desmond.

Still unclear: why 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42? Who are the Others and what are they doing? Whatever happened to that polar bear? And the monster? Also, how does Vincent the Labrador keep his well-fed figure?

The episode commenced with the revelation that the sailboat that appeared on the horizon at the close of the penultimate episode belonged to former hatch-dweller Desmond, who is found drunkenly holed up below deck after realizing that two and a half weeks of sailing had brought him back to the island.

The finale's main theme centered around Desmond's backstory, which begins upon his release from military prison after his dishonorable discharge from Her Majesty's Armed Forces. As he leaves jail, he encounters the father of his true love, Penelope Widmore, who attempts to pay him off to stay away from his daughter. (Interestingly, Papa Widmore is a central character in the Lost spinoff book, The Bad Twin.)

Instead, Desmond elects to compete in Widmore's boat race around the world in order to regain his honor. He sets off in a sailboat donated to him by none other than the ill-fated Libby, whom he happens to encounter in a coffee shop. Just before he leaves for the race, Penny tracks him down to tell him that she'll wait for him, no matter what.

Of course, he winds up marooned on the island, where he is drafted into his button-pushing mission by the previous hatch inhabitant, Kelvin.

After spending three years holed up together in the hatch, Kelvin reveals an important clue to the island--a crawl space in The Swan station that contained a system termination switch operated via a special Dharma key.

"This is the only other way out, partner," a boozed-up Kelvin tells Desmond. "The fail safe. Turn the key and this all goes away."

Kelvin also (finally) explains "the incident" referenced in the Dharma Initiative orientation video and why the button must be pushed.

"The incident? There was a leak, so now the charge builds up and every time we push the button, it discharges it before it gets too big," Kelvin says.

After finding Kelvin plotting an escape using his sailboat, Desmond kills him, then keeps pushing the button as a one-man team until Locke, Jack and crew burst into his hatch and take over. The last time viewers saw Desmond, many episodes ago, he was fleeing the hatch, apparently making his way to his sailboat and from there, on to the outside world.

Unfortunately for him, his escape plan failed, putting him right back where he started.

"There's no outside world, there's no escape," Desmond cries, as he is dragged ashore by Jack, Sawyer and Sayid.

Upon his unwilling return to the island, Desmond is recruited by the newly disillusioned Locke to help stop button-pushing convert Eko from pushing said button.

After he and Eko watched the orientation video in The Pearl observation hatch, Locke decided pushing the button was unnecessary and became convinced he was merely a puppet in a larger experiment.

Eko, on the other hand, became convinced of the life-or-death necessity of entering the numbers (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42) every 108 minutes. He and Locke come to blows over the button and he locks Locke out of the hatch. But Locke manages to trick him into leaving his post, then locks him out so he and Desmond can watch the clock count down to zero.

In desperation, Eko convinces Charlie to help him find the extra sticks of dynamite used to blow open the hatch at the conclusion of the first season, and uses it to try and explode his way into the control room to enter the numbers. The resulting explosion leaves both Charlie and Eko stunned, but fails to give them access to the button.

Meanwhile, Desmond has realized that the button actually does need to pushed, as he makes the key connection that it was his failure to do so that caused the crash of Oceanic Flight 815 some two months earlier.

Locke remains unconvinced and smashes the computer used to enter the numbers, forcing Desmond to take the only step left--using the special Dharma key to activate the system termination switch. A blinding explosion and deafening sound follow, as the hatch and Desmond are presumably blown to smithereens. Charlie staggers back onto the beach (where he shares a smooch with Claire), but Locke and Eko remain unaccounted for...at least until next season.

Meanwhile, despite being sniffed out as a turncoat by Sayid, Michael manages to succeed in his plan to turn Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Hurley over to the Others in exchange for Walt. The Other calling himself Henry Gale reunites Michael and Walt and turns over the motor boat to Michael, telling him to follow the compass bearing at 325 in order to find rescue.

"Who are you people?" Michael asks. (An excellent question.)

"We're the good guys, Michael," Henry replies. (Not a satisfactory response.)

As the traitorous Michael motors off with Walt, Kate, Jack and Sawyer are left gagged and bound by the Others, while Hurley is freed and ordered to return to camp and let the rest of the plane crash survivors know they are not welcome to come sniffing around.

In a final scene guaranteed to leave Lost fans with something to ponder while waiting for the show's return this fall, two Portuguese-speaking men working out of a snow-bound research station notice a huge electromagnetic abnormality and pick up the phone to make an emergency call to...Penny, Desmond's true love.

"Miss Widmore," one of the men says. "I think we've found him."

Boom. Roll credits. See you in September.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: picolas on May 25, 2006, 11:04:51 AM
one thing i don't like is how this episode disproves the theories that the apocalypse/something apocalyptic has happened while everyone was on the island and returning home/rescue by someone else is impossible even though the island is so huge.

I'm actually glad for that.  Think about it, if they had nothing to go back to, then who gives a shit what happens to them and if they get off the island?

Gamblour.

Quote from: picolas on May 25, 2006, 11:04:51 AM

I didn't even know that was a theory. I think the theories people theorize are pointless. I know it's fun, but I'd rather the writers take me in their direction, not my own. I think I have that philosophy towards everything cinematic, though.

And the best part of the show was the sudden reintroduction of the whispers, affecting everyone but Michael. Pretty goddamn interesting. It's sad how Locke has lost his faith.
WWPTAD?

picolas

Quote from: hacksparrow on May 25, 2006, 05:38:16 PM
I'm actually glad for that.  Think about it, if they had nothing to go back to, then who gives a shit what happens to them and if they get off the island?
when they or some of them get off the island in the last episode they find out and it somehow explains how the plane crashed was how it would've been great.

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on May 25, 2006, 06:13:57 PM
I think the theories people theorize are pointless.
but they might be right. or better. see: revolutions and the theory about neo being able to stop the sentinels/powering down because he and everyone else were really robots.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on May 25, 2006, 06:13:57 PM
I didn't even know that was a theory. I think the theories people theorize are pointless. I know it's fun, but I'd rather the writers take me in their direction, not my own. I think I have that philosophy towards everything cinematic, though.

I'm like that with individual films but when it's something like this where you have so much time in between installments and with people talking about it all the time, you can't help it.

But I look at the theories in the same way I look at Super Bowl pools: sure, you don't NEED to get into it to enjoy the game but it does enhance the experience.

Quote from: picolas on May 26, 2006, 01:51:32 AM
Quote from: hacksparrow on May 25, 2006, 05:38:16 PM
I'm actually glad for that. Think about it, if they had nothing to go back to, then who gives a shit what happens to them and if they get off the island?
when they or some of them get off the island in the last episode they find out and it somehow explains how the plane crashed was how it would've been great.

Too Planet of the Apes.  Granted, the uncertainty that the world was not there anymore was cool but if the world wasn't exactly as it was when they left, it would have been just as bad as a St. Elsewhere snowglobe. 

Kal

SPOILERS
----------------

Ok so here is the thing... I have a lot of unanswered questions of course. It was crazy because I watched it on the plane last night during a 9 hour flight, and I was dying to go online and read stuff here and see what everybody thought. I loved it. It was intense, even more for me being on the plane.

I was thinking about Libby... I dont remember any backstory of her and why she was in Australia or on the plane. Nothing also about  a dead husband. What I was thinking is, why if it was all planned that she worked for Widmore and her giving the boat to Desmond was a way to get him away from Penny? What if the plan was for him to get trapped there intentionally and dont come back? or maybe it had something to do with the book, Bad Twin. Widmore is the name of one of the characters, which is actually the guy that we see as Penny's father. He doesnt mention a daughter on the book, but two sons that are twins. One of course its kinda on a mission around the World. They are oposites. Etc... its all connected.

Weird, but it could be.I also read somewhere that somebody said that Libby's husband, Dave, was actually Hurley's imaginary friend. Could be. They also said that Libby's bad wig when she is with Desmond looked like "the Others" and their fake wigs and beards. It could somehow make sense?

I cant fucking wait until next season!

diggler

any thoughts on the statue?

i was reading somewhere that it resembled the collossus of rhodes, which was broken off at the knee during an earthquake.

damn this show.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

MCFARLANE TOYS GETS 'LOST'
Six Exclusive Action Figures Coming to Stores This Fall

McFarlane Toys will soon give Lost's legions of fans something new to obsess over. A series of Lost action figures is scheduled to be released late fall, 2006, and is destined to populate office cubicles around the country.

McFarlane Toys' Lost Series 1 captures six fan-favorite characters from the series' first season: Jack, Kate, Locke, Hurley, Charlie and Shannon. Each 6-inch Lost figure will have a detailed base and photographic backdrop, capturing an episode-specific moment in the character's story. In addition, each package will include a detailed prop reproduction central to the character's story, enabling fans to "own" a piece of the show's mythology. For example, Kate's figure will be packaged with a reproduction of the toy airplane that plays so prominently into her backstory. More than just action figures, McFarlane's Lost figures will once again raise the bar for fans and for the industry.

We will also be releasing Lost deluxe boxed sets -- re-creating key moments between multiple characters, and small-scale dioramas -- replicating central locations such as the mysterious island and the infamous hatch.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

I can't wait to play doctor with Kate.
WWPTAD?

elpablo

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=36305
QuoteNext Season's Lost Sneaked

Producers of ABC's hit series Lost, which aired its surprising second-season finale on May 24, told SCI FI Wire that it sets up the upcoming third season, which will focus more on romance—and on the mysterious Others. "The Others are an important part of season three, and there's a lot of mysteries and a lot of questions about the Others that the audience is going to be curious about going into season three," said executive producer Carlton Cuse in an interview. "And those are the things we're going to explore."

Cuse added: "There will definitely be some new characters on the show next year. ... Obviously, Michael Emerson, who plays Henry Gale, he's someone who's going to be very prominent in the show next year." Fans were also introduced to a new character who promises to figure in next season's storylines: Penelope Widmore, played by Sonya Walger.

In the finale, viewers find out where Desmond (Henry Ian Cusick) was, what happens when the button doesn't get pushed, why the plane crashed and the fate of Michael (Harold Perrineau) and Walt (Malcolm David Kelley). At the end, Jack (Matthew Fox), Kate (Evangeline Lilly) and Sawyer (Josh Holloway) are prisoners of the Others. And Claire (Emilie de Ravin) gives Charlie (Dominic Monaghan) a kiss.

"I'm excited about love in season three," said executive producer Bryan Burk, adding: "Don't forget now the people have been on the island for 60-plus days. They're now obviously more familiar with each other. ... The concept of love [is there], and ... it weaves its way through all of our characters. It's going to be much more prevalent in season three."

Now that Lost has finished shooting, the season-three writers met recently for a "boot camp" in Hawaii, where they broke the main story arcs for next year. "It's fun, because we're still kind of following on a macro level the same trajectory that we talked about years ago," Burk said. "The details are changing on this, and new characters that we hadn't thought about are here, ... but what's fun is kind of the whole big journey is still kind of where we had originally talked about it. And it feels as I had always said from day one, when I was doing interviews in season one, I kept saying that the show doesn't really start kicking in for me until seasons two and three. ... Somebody smarter than me recently said in a TV Guide letter, ... 'If you think you're still watching a show about people who crashed on an island, you're watching another show.' There's a lot going on, and as we move forward, ... we're getting deeper into the center of the onion." —Patrick Lee, News Editor

Romance. Eh. Those were the scenes that made me cringe during the finale. Those and the sweet Unsolved-Mysteries-Dramitization effects/editing scene when Desmond got "captured."

More Henry Gale. Yes.