Wonderfalls

Started by ono, March 19, 2004, 09:12:44 PM

ono

Second episode just went off.  Saw bits and pieces of the first one last week.  The commercials were so incredibly intriguing, and the show itself is no disappointment.  Think of it as a sort of Amelie with an edge.  That's the best I can put it so far.  Can't really think of anything else to compare it to.  Only unfortunate thing about it is the awful lead-in it has: Playing it Straight.  Ugh.  Anyway, anyone else see it?  Like it?

Pas

Yeah I watched it, cause the lead actress is a french quebecer that we see here since she was like 5 years old. It was pretty good. I hope we'll se her more in american stuff, she's rather hot.

MacGuffin

Fox cancels 'Wonderfalls'

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The Fox TV fantasy-drama "Wonderfalls" dried up in less than a month.

The series, set in the Niagara Falls area, was canceled because of low ratings. It had its final showing last week.

Caroline Dhavernas starred as a young woman who hears voices coming from animal figurines and other objects, directing her to intervene in the lives of other people.

The series, which debuted March 12, ranked 103rd for the week of March 22-28 with an audience of 3.3 million. By comparison, an airing of top-rated "American Idol" that week attracted 27 million viewers.

"Wonderfalls" is one of several new scripted shows to quickly flop this season, including CBS' "Century City," while reality shows including NBC's "The Apprentice" are proving hot.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Wow, that really sucks.  Thanks for the news, Mac.

ono

Several months ago, a few months after this show was cancelled in an untimely fashion, it was set for a DVD release.  It's set for a February 1st release date.  It's well worth the $30 or so dollars you'd pay for the 13 40-some-odd minute episode series.  If you're into really creative television, check it out.  Like I said, Amelie with an edge.  "Get her WORDS out."

Caroline Dhavernas is a actress with a lot of potential, hinted at by her having worked with Peter Greenaway in The Tulse Luper Suitcases: The Moab Story, another film I'm looking forward to if it ever gets a release here, theatrical or DVD.  I read something about a June theatrical release, but that's not set in stone, and is beside the point.  Anyway, this show is right up Xixaxers' respective allies, so I thought I'd just say so.

Ravi

Have about 2 episodes left to watch on the DVDs.

The show's premise is very interesting but the writers don't overwhelm the show with talking animal figures all the time.  Caroline Dhavernas is great in her acerbic yet likeable role.  Apparently she's a huge star in Canada.  It would be wonderfall (yeah, I said it) to see her in more TV shows and movies.  Tyler Leitso is really good also.  The dialogue occasionally could be more clever, but the show is definitely better than most other dramedies on TV.  Too bad this show was cancelled while crap like Gilmore Girls thrives for season after season.

The show probably failed because of a largely unrecognizable cast.  The only main actor I've seen before is William Sadler, and the most famous guest stars were the guy from American Pie (no, not the famous guy) and Rue McClanahan.

The Amelie reference isn't quite correct since the show isn't as whimsical and fantastical as that.

Gamblour.

The lead is hot. The show looks like a film. A lot of it's brilliant. Sometimes it's too much, but overall I liked what I saw, which was like three episodes.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

I just finished watching everything the DVD set has to offer.  All the episodes, the featurettes, the commentary tracks, even the bizarre little music video of the theme song.

I'm madly in love with this show.  I love it like a beautiful, sarcastic woman with green eyes.  I can't deal with the fact that there will never be more episodes.  I'll have to push it way, way back to the "Boomtown" center of my brain, where I lock away those thoughts to keep me from crying in public.

At least they had the wherewithal, when they knew they were going to be cancelled, to complete the story arc, to provide some degree of closure.  There's no way I could get that invested in a character and a story and survive an unresolved cliffhanger.  The walls would be spray-painted with my brains.  Such a great show... dead at such a young age.    :cry:
My house, my rules, my coffee