verbing name

Started by slice, January 09, 2004, 12:29:46 AM

cine

Quote from: PBring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.
Classique.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pi figured that if we're listing these movies it's cos of what i said "since 99". but if we're just randomly listing ______ing movies for no reason at all..

then, Swimming Pool, The Ring, The Shining, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

But wouldn't the "The" have to have the -ing for those to be acceptable?

Like, Training Day
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

either ur pretending to not know what i'm talking about, or ur being serious.

i was listing totally inappropriate titles because everyone else was, for the most part, missing the point. of course the ring and the shining are wrong.

training day is wrong too, cos it's describing the day. i thought a writer would know the difference between an adjective and a verb. i hope ur joking, if so, good one, i've been punk'd.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

I think everyone is joking.

Raising Arizona
Bringing Out the Dead
Waking Ned Devine (never seen it)
WWPTAD?

nix

I'm not joking about clevage.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Owning Mahowny
Shipping News, The
Stealing Sinatra
Jurassic Park III
Loving Jezebel
Killing Me Softly
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

ono

Fucking Amal.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

SoNowThen

What is it about Mandy Moore? She's not my kinda hot, really. And yet I find her hot. But I am also very annoyed with her, as I find she has a smarmy too-good-for-you attitude. Yet I wanna fuck her brains out. Yet I never wanna see her in the media again. Yet I wanna meet her to see if she'd be nice to me, or act like the uppity bitch she seems she is. Yet you get the feeling that she's the kinda girl that could be a cunt to everyone, but as long as she was nice to you, you could idolize her. Yet you just wanna use her for sweet action, then get the hell outta there.

What is it about Mandy Moore?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenI find she has a smarmy too-good-for-you attitude. Yet I wanna fuck her brains out. Yet I never wanna see her in the media again. Yet I wanna meet her to see if she'd be nice to me, or act like the uppity bitch she seems she is. Yet you get the feeling that she's the kinda girl that could be a cunt to everyone, but as long as she was nice to you, you could idolize her. Yet you just wanna use her for sweet action, then get the hell outta there.

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

No, no, no, this is a strict For Guys Who Dig Chicks thing. Anybody else have these conflicted emotions over Mandy here?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

i do, not so conflicted tho. i think she's a bit too tall for her age, so i wouldn't ever go out with her cos she'd tower over me and make jokes after our break up about being able to wear high heels again. i feel her acting talent is yet to be put to good use, yet i hate all her movies. i hope she stops singing, but i want her to keep making videos.

:shock: yep, there's definitely sum conlfict.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pi do, not so conflicted tho. i think she's a bit too tall for her age, so i wouldn't ever go out with her cos she'd tower over me and make jokes after our break up about being able to wear high heels again. i feel her acting talent is yet to be put to good use, yet i hate all her movies. i hope she stops singing, but i want her to keep making videos.

:shock: yep, there's definitely sum conlfict.

YES YES YES

see!! With Britney, Christina, Beyonce, etc, it's a simple question of like/dislike -- but Mandy is the enigma. I think it also has something to do with the fellow she's dating. You wanna feel like he's a dolt, like the ex's of all the above, but yet I can't help shaking the feeling that he's a sharp looking chap, who appears to be fairly accomplished and kinda cool...

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenNo, no, no, this is a strict For Guys Who Dig Chicks thing. Anybody else have these conflicted emotions over Mandy here?

For guys who dig chicks exclusively, then? Perhaps you should have made a special Mandy Moore Circle-Jerk Thread for the Exclusively Heterosexual, seeing as how your masturbatory tirade doesn't seem to follow from anything in this thread...

It's a relief to know there's someone here to decide which topics are for whom, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

No, I didn't mean it as an insult, nor tirade. Just saying that I don't think, under the circumstances, you would understand.

See P's response.

EDIT: I vote we change the thread title to The Enigma That Is Mandy Moore.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenNo, I didn't mean it as an insult, nor tirade. Just saying that I don't think, under the circumstances, you would understand.

See P's response.

Maybe actually having sex with a girl (or a half-dozen or so) in your lifetime would relieve some of those conflicted emotions. They're just repressed sexuality, aren't they? The compression and then uncontrollable verbal/onanstic eruption of unsatisfied sexual urges? Believe me, I know all about this. Gimme a break. Don't treat me like I'm a fool, please. I understand much more than you give me credit for, apparently. Don't pigeonhole me. I'm as qualified as you (if not more so) to discuss sexual attraction, boy or girl. I'm not so picky and hung up about the gender, but that doesn't mean I have no experience or understanding on the subject.

This board is full of tiresome (verging on, yes, insulting) assumptions today, though... and I guess I should be used to it by now.  :(  But I'm not and never will be.