The 2004 Xixax DEKAPENTICON

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 07, 2004, 02:52:19 AM

godardian

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: godardianI can assure you that my negative opinion on Fight Club is based on my own critical analysis of the film itself and is not in any way a mere reaction to popular regard for it.
Oh, I completely expected that.  Knowing you, I never thought any other way.  :)

Ahhh... my reputation precedes me. :)

I'm assuming SoNowThen is saying I was wrong about Fight Club... with the order of the e-mails and no quote, it was hard to tell who "you're wrong" was... given the odds, I'll assume it's me that SoNowThen so mistakenly believes to be wrong. :)

No Conformist DVD = no Conformist re-watching for me 'til there is one. Like any film, it deserves to be seen as intended.

And SNT is right about time having potential, especially in this context. Hopefully, everyone will see My Life to Live before next time, and it'll get bumped up a few. I'm not going to start off a big thing by saying which films I think will (or I would like to) drop off the list fastest. Fight Club is old enough by now that its presence on the list has some validity and likely staying power, even if the film itself is- oddly enough, given its theme- impotent (sorry, had to get that parting shot in! This movie ties with Moulin Rouge as The Bad Movie Most Likely to be Embraced by Smart People.)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

That list was pretty good, I haven't seen 8 1/2 and 400 Blows yet, but otherwise I completely agree with the rest.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

it'll be nice to see how the board matures, but that's about all u can tell from it.

sure, another DEKAPENTICON would be fine.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

godardian

It's helpful to remember, too, that these things are an extra burden on the admins and do consume their time and energy, so a long breather between times is probably in order. Maybe Olympic-spaced intervals?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

When I get some free time, I'd be happy to make some bootleg copies of Conformist. I'll get the video from the cool rentals place, capture it onto my computer, then make some dvds.

As to Fight Club, I think it will stand the test of time. I'll make you a deal, Godardian. I'll give Mulholland Drive another chance if you give Fight Club another chance...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Quote from: SoNowThenAs to Fight Club, I think it will stand the test of time. I'll make you a deal, Godardian. I'll give Mulholland Drive another chance if you give Fight Club another chance...
Let me get a piece of that action.  Hehe.  Seriously, I caught the opening of Mulholland Drive on cable a few months ago, and was resisting letting it suck me in again.  Brilliant beginnings, I'll give it that.  I just don't want to get sucked into its depressing vortex again.

As for the time and effort admins have to put forth to do this, well, I'd volunteer to help if it was wanted.  I think something like this is worth pursuing every year, and I have ways I can think of, I'm sure, to make all the vote tallying go much more smoothly.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenWhen I get some free time, I'd be happy to make some bootleg copies of Conformist. I'll get the video from the cool rentals place, capture it onto my computer, then make some dvds.

As to Fight Club, I think it will stand the test of time. I'll make you a deal, Godardian. I'll give Mulholland Drive another chance if you give Fight Club another chance...

Okay... it's an Old West-style cinema showdown! Blow-by-blow; we should even create an item for it. Where and when?

Gold Trumpet

I'm surprised how historical the list was. A lot of the films on the list never really got that much discussion on the boards so I'm wondering how honest some people were being. If I measured the board by content to one thing, the number one film would be "JJ Gets Banned!". I'm glad some people are noticing other movies though and realizing discussion on films needs to happen.

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm surprised how historical the list was. A lot of the films on the list never really got that much discussion on the boards so I'm wondering how honest some people were being. If I measured the board by content to one thing, the number one film would be "JJ Gets Banned!". I'm glad some people are noticing other movies though and realizing discussion on films needs to happen.

I preferred the ensemble comedy "Banning"...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm surprised how historical the list was. A lot of the films on the list never really got that much discussion on the boards so I'm wondering how honest some people were being.

Another possibility: Significantly smaller number of people voted than post.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIf I measured the board by content to one thing, the number one film would be "JJ Gets Banned!". I'm glad some people are noticing other movies though and realizing discussion on films needs to happen.
oh yeah, that's such a HOT topic. show's how much u know GT. listen, three ppl not shutting up about one thing is not the same as 30 ppl talking about a completely different thing altogether., u falla'? the real hot topic of xixax is "what's the deal with these ppl who never know wtf is going on and perpetuate misinformation?"

stick to ur coen-bashing & bad reviews, and leave the social commentary to the social ppl. ok buddy?
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: P
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIf I measured the board by content to one thing, the number one film would be "JJ Gets Banned!". I'm glad some people are noticing other movies though and realizing discussion on films needs to happen.
oh yeah, that's such a HOT topic. show's how much u know GT. listen, three ppl not shutting up about one thing is not the same as 30 ppl talking about a completely different thing altogether., u falla'? the real hot topic of xixax is "what's the deal with these ppl who never know wtf is going on and perpetuate misinformation?"

stick to ur coen-bashing & bad reviews, and leave the social commentary to the social ppl. ok buddy?

I'm surprised I would have to do this, but: Lighten up! It's a fucking joke.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm surprised I would have to do this, but: Lighten up! It's a fucking joke.
i didn't know u were into those things.
under the paving stones.

modage

its a pretty good list.  not too fanboy-y, or too film snobby-y.  i'm pleased.  but weeping tears for rushmore and empire strikes back (where were my fellow geeks on this one?!?)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.