Best Horror Movies

Started by Jake_82, November 24, 2003, 09:03:28 PM

hedwig

modage

Halloween (1978)
"It's Halloween, everyone's entitled to one good scare"

WHATS IT ABOUT? John Carpenter's slasher masterpiece about the 'boogeyman', an unstoppable killer named Michael Myers.

IS IT SCARY? Yes.  Even the moments which have been re-used and recycled by a hundred different films feel sort of original here.  

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT? The score, the opening sequence, the fact that it's one of the few horror movies that actually takes place on Halloween & the way Carpenter makes Michael Myers a larger than life almost mythic killer and not just some nut with a knife.

SCARIEST MOMENT: When Michael Myers becomes slowly visible in the dark behind Jamie Lee Curtis.

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? Because while it may have inspired hundreds of inferior knock-offs (most notably the Friday The 13th series), it remains the pinnacle of slasher horror.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Quote from: modagethe goal is to do 30 (if possible) without repeats of last years picks.
well, i did it.  30 films reviewed.  it was a lot of work writing these little reviews, more than i had expected (about an hour per review plus average of 2 hours per film = 3 hours x 30 films = 90 hours!!! yikes.). but hopefully somebody enjoyed reading them and decided to watch a few horror movies this month. thanks to anyone for participating.  it's been fun, see you next year. :)

1. alien
2. bram stokers dracula
3. the bride of frankenstein
4. carrie
5. dawn of the dead
6. dead alive
7. dracula
8. evil dead II: dead by dawn
9. frankenstein
10. freddy vs. jason
11. from dusk till dawn
12. halloween
13. in the mouth of madness
14. invasion of the body snatchers
15. jeepers creepers
16. the monster squad
17. a nightmare on elm street part III: the dream warriors
18. phantasm
19. rosemary's baby
20. shaun of the dead
21. the shining
22. sleepy hollow
23. suspiria
24. the texas chainsaw massacre
25. the exorcist
26. the lost boys
27. the omen
28. the others
29. the ring
30. the thing
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Round of applause  :bravo:

It definitely helped get me in a Halloween mood this year...

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: modage15. jeepers creepers

I have as little interest in horror films as one can, but I swear Mod planted that pick.

Gamblour.

And he put it above the Shining!!!!!!!1
WWPTAD?

w/o horse

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: modage

The funny thing about that tagline is that it basically tells you that the ending sucks.

We watched this last night for Halloween.  It was my first time.

Excellent filmmaking and a completely boring movie for the most part.  I can believe Gamblour fell asleep twice; I started nodding off once and it was when the blind man was in the court.  Great atmosphere that buttressed a general paranoia.  I imagine this one works spades better in the theater.

I'd like to see it again.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

RegularKarate

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

I have as little interest in horror films as one can, but I swear Mod planted that pick.

Quote from: GamblourAnd he put it above the Shining!!!!!!!1

it's alphabetical

Gamblour.

Quote from: RegularKarate

it's alphabetical

Sigh, I know. I was hoping the sarcasm/reference to that Total Film list/idea of his preferring a tasteless horror film to a good one/whatever would be revealed by the 1 in the overly long row of exclamation points. I was wrong.
WWPTAD?

ono

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Gamblour
Quote from: RegularKarate

it's alphabetical

Sigh, I know. I was hoping the sarcasm/reference to that Total Film list/idea of his preferring a tasteless horror film to a good one/whatever would be revealed by the 1 in the overly long row of exclamation points. I was wrong.

Actually, I originally responding thinking he was just quoting another list. Not creating his own. His inclusion of Jeepers Creepers is to be expected then.

RegularKarate

and I initially responded by pointing out that GT misunderstood, but I deleted that part because I didn't want to appear to be picking on him (as I think I have in the past), but your responding to him is what confused the whole thing.

Can we have Halloween again in February?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: RegularKarateand I initially responded by pointing out that GT misunderstood, but I deleted that part because I didn't want to appear to be picking on him (as I think I have in the past), but your responding to him is what confused the whole thing.

Can we have Halloween again in February?

Pointing that out wouldn't have been picking on me.

I also understand we come from two different schools. Cultural ties are a tricky business.

modage

^^^ more activity than this thread saw all month.  :yabbse-undecided:

ono

Quote from: RegularKarateCan we have Halloween again in February?
Valentine's Day is pretty scary.

Side note, thanks to some of mod's suggestions, I'm trying to shake my aversion to horror flicks, albeit a little late for Halloween and all.  I have Frankenstein / Bride of Frankenstein in queue.