The Sopranos

Started by SoNowThen, November 19, 2003, 02:34:59 PM

Alexandro

nice, but you should know right know that as with any good series, it takes a couple of episodes to sink in.
yet it really pays off soon.

some people have said that to me about the wire too.

Reel

I've seen the first seasons of both and I liked them a lot, but I hear with the Wire you kind of have to trudge thru 'the docks' before it gets really captivating again. I was always jealous of ppl who had HBO and got to follow The Sopranos, as a kid I just remember it for it's graphic violence and raunchy sex scenes, but it's funny as hell too, and dramatic. Everything a series should be.

diggler

Quote from: Reelist on April 29, 2011, 09:52:57 PM
I hear with the Wire you kind of have to trudge thru 'the docks' before it gets really captivating again.

that's my favorite season
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Kal

The Sopranos is the best television series ever made. I keep re-watching episodes on HBO On Demand constantly. Amazing writing and characters.

Stefen

Quote from: kalville on May 01, 2011, 01:35:02 AM
The Sopranos is the best television series ever made.

"SHEEEEEEEEEIT."
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

just judging by their first two seasons, Sopranos > Wire

classical gas

i've seen both series all the way through in the last year....the sopranos gets worse and then a little better, but the wire just gets better and better after season two.

squints

Quote from: Reelist on May 02, 2011, 11:53:17 PM

you have the worst taste in everything. I'm sorry, but you do.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Alexandro

Quote from: classical gas on May 03, 2011, 12:08:41 AM
i've seen both series all the way through in the last year....the sopranos gets worse and then a little better, but the wire just gets better and better after season two.

the sopranos never gets "worse".
yeah, i've heard the complaints on storylines "all over the place" and all that academic crap, but from episode to episode and season to season I've never seen anything so wild yet at the same time so consistent. It's also a show with "something to say", meaning that chase clearly was trying to convey a portrait of modern society as reflected in this character and his family. filmmaking wise also, it never got "worse". On the contrary.

About The Wire, I don't know yet, but it's a pretty solid show and I like it. I wouldn't compare the two as they seem to be aiming for different objectives.

classical gas

i think for me it was just the first half of the fifth season.  then it gets back up to speed.  but it never gets bad.

actually the fifth season of the wire didn't start out too well for me either, but that's mostly cause the fourth season is so badass

Reel

Quote from: squints on May 03, 2011, 03:33:47 AM

yer mom has the worst taste in her mouth from tonguing my anus.

Pas

Hahaha never heard this one, pretty vulgar!

Stefen

Quote from: Reelist on May 03, 2011, 02:36:25 PM
Quote from: squints on May 03, 2011, 03:33:47 AM

yer mom has the worst taste in her mouth from tonguing my anus.

I really hope you're not saying that because of the thread Squints made a couple months ago about his mothers courageous battle with mouth cancer coming to an end. I really, really hope not. Classless post on your part if you are. GARBAGE.  :nono: :nono:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

no I'm not. I guess its serendipity, but if that's true, sorry Squints..

hey ima bout to begin sopranos for the first time from the beginning. i have seen only a few episodes and read none of this thread. how excited should i be?