Quirky delights in Punch-Drunk Love... discuss them here

Started by Marty McSuperfly, February 08, 2003, 03:57:04 AM

jenkins

but also the sheer surface material of your moving to LA saga (compounded with the plague and a movie production) has the ingredients necessary for a robust movie script. as in, well, I of course would picture it as a 70min long pre-code movie, although contemporary austerity asks for 110min, and going the limit is over 2 hours, and a whole thing is over 3 hours, but however you spin it you have the existential reallife experience you need to write a script

kingfan011

Quote from: eward on April 28, 2021, 11:11:41 AM
Wish I could now. Last few days, a lot has changed. Newest roommate turned out to be a total asshole who essentially took the place over and is now running a fucking start-up real estate company out of the common area - had zero respect for our privacy, threw big maskless parties throughout which total strangers would use my private bathroom despite my politely asking them not to and putting a sign on the door (he later aggressively argued with me about it, insisting it was no longer just mine to use, despite those being the terms when I moved in), was a total slob, booze and drugs all over (I'm sober and he knows it), had his "boys" squatting there from day one, constantly blasted his insufferable music morning/noon/night, on and on. Myself and another roommate backed out of the lease and moved out within a day of each other this week. Now that the landlord is wise to it, she has been very apologetic and is going to redraft the lease, releasing us and making him solely financially responsible for the sudden vacancies. (I even sent her a check for May rent figuring it was the right thing to do, and she's insisting on sending it back to me.) The guy didn't even pay a deposit. The apartment was so peaceful and lovely until he showed up. Now it's Bro Central. Hopefully he gets evicted soon. He doesn't deserve that place.

I'm spending the summer in NY and returning to LA in the fall. Sorry for the long post, it's been a huge bummer whirlwind.

But yes, totally should have taken a giant shit in Le Petit Chateau. Missed opportunity. Maybe next time.

Edit: not the appropriate thread for this rant, obviously. I'll move it soon.

Jesus that is terrible. I'm very sorry to hear about that.

Alethia

Appreciate yaz. It'll be okay, I'm trying to focus on the positive. Money I'll save, friends I'll get to see, re-opened theaters I'll get to enjoy once again. NY is lovely in summer. And when I return to LA it'll be close to Soggy Bottom time.

Drenk

Sometimes an alien falls from the sky, sometimes an awful man suddenly lives in your house.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Drenk on April 28, 2021, 03:04:00 PM
Sometimes an alien falls from the sky.

So, you agree Punch Drunk Love iz a sci-fi?

Alethia

wilberfan

For a different take, this episode was released this week, also.  (Haven't listened to it yet.)

https://twitter.com/AutismCinema/status/1388128674596147200

wilberfan

Seems like there's a LOT of P-DL in the air lately.  Maybe it's on my radar because of the on-location screening in July, but...  Here's another from this morning.

https://youtu.be/GokXZUuEIV4

[edit]  Maybe I'm just a big ol' puss--but I hadn't watched it all before sharing that link.  Damn thing gave me goosebumps by the time it was over.   :bravo:

jenkins

Quote from: Drill on May 24, 2021, 12:05:22 AM
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/vi/watch/11677763998

it's PTA talking about straight faced humor for example Peter Sellers. then it's Emily Watson saying the production felt unique and Sandler isn't used to unique but he felt fine about it being made up as it went along: simple but musical

wilberfan

Posted on Facebook by the owner of Eckhart Auto Body.  A scan of his invitation to the cast & crew screening of Punch-Drunk Love on Sept 9, 2002.

wilberfan

PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE at Eckhart Auto Body - July 10th, 2021

Delayed by Covid (from last April), this awesome idea for a PDL screening came off without a hitch tonight.   

Highlights:

Overhearing a gentleman describe how the harmonium that Sandler ran with was a 'fake'--they were concerned about dropping or damaging the 'real' one.  When I asked him if he worked on the film, he said, yes, he was a P.A.--one of his first jobs.  More questioning revealed that he's worked on most of PTA's films since.  Said he was on the camera department for Soggy.  Introduced himself as Aaron.  Turns out he's part of the 'extended family'.  (His last name turns out to be "Tichenor".   Yes, Dylan's baby brother.  He's listed in the credits on PDL as PTA's Assistant.)

Seeing the owner, Mark, again.  He gave me a personal tour last year, and he's still as nice as ever.

Met a couple that travelled from Chicago (!!) for this event specifically.  Turns out he's an r/PTA and fellow-Xixaxer who'd reached out to me for suggestions on where to stay in the Valley.  Super nice guy with an adorable sister.  Mark gave them the VIP treatment...

Found it interesting that the film was (digitally) projected from behind the screen.

Learned some interesting factoids:  The code-name for the project at the time was "X-4 Project" (Paul's 4th feature.)  The name of Barry's company was ""Bargan International" (BARry eGAN)

A fun moment was when the organizer introduced Mark--who then ran the length of the property carrying the cardboard harmonium that they parked out on the curb for the event.  (They could not find an actual affordable harmonium to buy or rent!)

It was a great night--well worth the 15 month wait!   :bravo:

Reel