sphinx, where is it?

Started by boombanglarrabee, October 15, 2003, 06:06:32 PM

boombanglarrabee

I gots a question: where is that analyzation of Magnolia (that Paul supposedly hated?)

sphinx

poof

hate is such a strong word

magnolia is about American Freemasonry at a crossroads. At the end of the twentieth century, membership has dwindled and dumbed itself down so much that few Masons really get the mystical or metaphysical insight so commingled with its formation hundreds of years ago. Its ranking members are criticized as "legacies" who don't understand the true nature of their undertaking, boozers and womanizers who need something to get them out of the house, and (worst of all) self-absorbed social climbers with little interest in helping along the moral, spiritual, and intellectual growth of their communities. Jimmy Gator represents Freemasonry today: a shameful parody of itself, without scruples, without direction, and with an embarassing secret to keep. For him, Freemasonry is all rote memorization, dead, uninspiring. His sharp, liquor-soaked retort to Burt Jenning's masonic greeting "We meet upon the level and we part upon the square" is a vulgar: "In my fucking sleep, Burt." Ironically, his celebrity status and proximity to Burt (Ricky Jay wearing a masonic ring) suggest that his membership "got him where he is today." But once the overwhelming truth is revealed, and Jimmy is exposed for the incestuous monster that he really is, his masonic membership only underscores his own corruption.

Now flash to Stanley Spector, alone in the library, diligent in his study, weaving the thread of his thoughts between the books spread out before him. Books on the weather and strange phenomenon are there, a book by Charles Fort, another by Ricky Jay (Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women). And, of course, in the upper right corner of the table, The History of Freemasonry. Stanley is on the verge of "getting it." He's about to reap the rewards of his hard work and his pure heart. And he's going to do it on his own. He doesn't need secret handshakes, and elaborate initiation ceremonies, he doesn't need the booze and the cigs and the leering shriner mentality to begin to gain the mystical and metaphysicial insights promised by the tenets of Freemasonry. He doesn't even need his father to introduce him to it. All that he has to do is comprehend as much of the world around him that his mind can accept at once. Then, he is empowered: "your going to have to be nicer to me, dad."

It is this Jimmy/Stanley dichotomy that is, in turn, mimicked in the adults vs. children gameshow (a show, by the way littered with masonic references: from the symbols behind the players to the musical notes to the masonic pun about "Mary and her seven children giving that Pope a run for his money...") which pits the adults (old school freemasonry) against children (new school freemasonry). And in the final analysis, new school freemasonry (Stanley, insolent: "What is that Jimmy? Tell me! What is it?") must finally confront old school freemasonry (Jimmy, confused: "I don't know Stanley") for an explaination of how things have gone so horribly wrong.

So now then. Is magnolia anti-masonic? I don't believe so. I think it confronts the corrupted, diluted, self-interested membership of Freemasonry today with its own rules in an effort to jumpstart a very important new American movement: A new masonic order crafted by insight compassion, decency and simplicity, and without the whistles and buzzers of membership or the creepy and detrimental allegiance to power and influence. Sounds good to me.

aclockworkjj

I am surprised we never got on a full blow freemason tangent here yet.  I know I (as well as others) brought it up a few times...but no one really went off on it.

boombanglarrabee

Sphinx, you're too cool.  Thank you! :-D  8)  :P

molly

there are some analysts that can be analyzed just by reading/listening their analyses. :P

coffeebeetle

Where and the hell is that from?
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)