What Novels Would You Like To See Made Into Movies?

Started by 1976, October 12, 2003, 07:06:30 AM

bonanzataz

errr... didn't i just make this thread 2 weeks ago?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

coffeebeetle

Sex and Sunsets by Tim Sandlin  (starring Robert Downey Jr. and Elisabeth Shue)
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Teen Wolf

I want a talented director to do Moby Dick. I know John Huston did it way back when, but I'd love to see someone else have a go at it.

ShanghaiOrange

Tarantino's Moby Dick, starring Harvey Kietel as Ahab and Sam Jackson as Queequeg.

Queequeg: "Why does my black as have to be chasing around some cracker whale?"
Ahab: "Motherfucking whale ate my goddamn arm, that's why!"
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Cecil

i want ghostboy to adapt and shoot "heavier than heaven"

NEON MERCURY

..what a bout "See Spot Run"..i would like to see that into a short film...
..but maybe the reason no-one has trried it is b/c the pure essence of the novel is ambigious.....

snaporaz

it's already in pre-production, but i can't wait for glamorama.

and speaking of ellis, american psycho could have been alot better. so, i guess i'd like to see it made. again. and better.

also, i'd like to see the stranger beside me, but without the ann rule narrative. however, i think it's already been done. for television. "american nightmare" is a pretty cool title.  :oops:

i don't read much.  :(

godardian

Quote from: snaporaz

and speaking of ellis, american psycho could have been alot better. so, i guess i'd like to see it made. again. and better.

I thought it was a fine film, one of my favorites of the year. I can't wait for Mary Harron's next... she was involved in The Weather Underground, apparently.

Anyone seen the movie of Play it as it Lays?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

pookiethecat

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: snaporaz

I thought it was a fine film, one of my favorites of the year. I can't wait for Mary Harron's next

same here...  and i thought it was awesome how harron juxtaposed satire and horror.  great performances.  funny and unsettling in all the right ways.  

in keeping topic with the thread, i'd like to see "the autograph man" by zadie smith adapted to the big screen by mike leigh.
i wanna lick 'em.

Gold Trumpet

To keep with my usual self, I didn't like American Pyscho (movie) at all. The dialogue explained everything and left little mystery to anything at all the killer may have been feeling. The rationalization is that the killer and his story encompasses the feeling of spirit on modern day Wall Street in all its drive and ambition, but if gone awry. I don't see the intention for that, though. General story of man with drive and pushed to pyschosis that he kills to meet pleasures not found elsewhere. The fact that he works on Wall Street and such is only thing that is contemporary about him. And the ending, well, it gets a 10 in trickery and cuteness.

To keep with the topic, I want Perfume: The Story of a Murderer to be adapted by myself.

~rougerum

pookiethecat

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetTo keep with my usual self, I didn't like American Pyscho (movie) at all. The dialogue explained everything and left little mystery to anything at all the killer may have been feeling. The rationalization is that the killer and his story encompasses the feeling of spirit on modern day Wall Street in all its drive and ambition, but if gone awry. I don't see the intention for that, though. General story of man with drive and pushed to pyschosis that he kills to meet pleasures not found elsewhere. The fact that he works on Wall Street and such is only thing that is contemporary about him. And the ending, well, it gets a 10 in trickery and cuteness.

does anyone else find this paragraph incredibly incoherent?  i'm sure there are some interesting insights but i can't make sense of this paragraph.
i wanna lick 'em.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pookiethecat
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetTo keep with my usual self, I didn't like American Pyscho (movie) at all. The dialogue explained everything and left little mystery to anything at all the killer may have been feeling. The rationalization is that the killer and his story encompasses the feeling of spirit on modern day Wall Street in all its drive and ambition, but if gone awry. I don't see the intention for that, though. General story of man with drive and pushed to pyschosis that he kills to meet pleasures not found elsewhere. The fact that he works on Wall Street and such is only thing that is contemporary about him. And the ending, well, it gets a 10 in trickery and cuteness.

does anyone else find this paragraph incredibly incoherent/poorly written?

Does anyone else find that responce to be demeaning and avvoiding of responce itself? I make no claim to be a good writer and considering everyone else can argue with me, I find it good enough for the message board world.

~rougerum

pookiethecat

ok in response to your post:

"The dialogue explained everything and left little mystery to anything at all the killer may have been feeling"

ok cool that makes sense. good point

"The rationalization is that the killer and his story encompasses the feeling of spirit on modern day Wall Street in all its drive and ambition, but if gone awry"

hmmm...can't say i know exactly what that means.  perhaps you're saying that the film draws a parallel between wall street brutality and violent brutality.  well to respond- that was never overt cuz there were no scenes of corporate bloodletting, so to speak.  

"General story of man with drive and pushed to pyschosis that he kills to meet pleasures not found elsewhere. The fact that he works on Wall Street and such is only thing that is contemporary about him."

say what?!  this makes no fucking sense.  

"The fact that he works on Wall Street and such is only thing that is contemporary about him"  good point but doesn't that contradict what you said earlier about violence in wall street/violence in reallife (or what i think you said).  

"And the ending, well, it gets a 10 in trickery and cuteness. "

ok, yeah, that makes sense.  valid point.  

i haven't had a problem with any of your posts in the past.  but this one was too cryptic and just nonsensicle.  and i don't think it's bad of me to call you on it.
i wanna lick 'em.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pookiethecat
"The rationalization is that the killer and his story encompasses the feeling of spirit on modern day Wall Street in all its drive and ambition, but if gone awry"

hmmm...can't say i know exactly what that means.  perhaps you're saying that the film draws a parallel between wall street brutality and violent brutality.  well to respond- that was never overt cuz there were no scenes of corporate bloodletting, so to speak.

My idea was to correlate the two: Wall Street ambition in a sense being brutal and also the brutality of killing someone and what kind of drive it requires. For people who defend the purpose of this man killing, they usually give that example. That the drive of both are similiar and in this man who kills, he was bred in this world but went awry and replaces all normal pleasures with the pleasure of killing. He is that far gone from everything in his society. I disagree with that argument because nothing really is shown of him being driven by that society to kill people. At the beginning, he is already insane. Through out the movie he interacts with all the Wall Street yuppies and complains about them and then shows similiar drive in killing people. To really complicate the subject would be to show how, if he did, spring board from the world of Wall Street ambition into killing people. The movie never really does it. Its just details his actions and thoughts while being a murderer which seems to undermine the potential of the subject at hand.

Quote from: pookiethecati haven't had a problem with any of your posts in the past.  but this one was too cryptic and just nonsensicle.  and i don't think it's bad of me to call you on it.

It isn't bad to call me on it. Its bad to only reply to an argument by just calling me on my bad writing. It makes you look like what I said wasn't worth replying to. The point of my last post.

~rougerum

snaporaz

whatever you guys are saying...

i don't believe wall street or society or whatever drove him to kill. it's just that his "people", and more importantly him, are, like someone already said, so outside of our universe and so completely engulfed with bullshit that the things that really matter don't, even if it's when your friend is dragging a corpse onto a sidewalk in front of you.

but anyways, i think harron made it almost slapstick-like.

it all just seemed too colourful. too silly. i know it's supposed to be funny, but this was silly. like when that hooker was running down the halls, and that stupid music was playing. "how suspenseful". not that it should have been, but that seemed like what it was trying to accomplish, which if it did, would have been just as bad.

i did like the chase-manhattan scene, though. but i guess that's because that's only part where the atmosphere of the movie seemed appropriate.