I got the PDL DVD - The definitive thread

Started by aurora, June 19, 2003, 04:50:16 AM

chainsmoking insomniac

Just out of curiosity, why do you like the cover?  I think the rest of the package is fantastic, but the cover irks me to no end.  Why not put the artwork on the front too???  Or the movie poster for that matter???
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

SoNowThen

Because as much as everyone else saw it as the colorful love story, all I really focused on was

1. How truly bizarre it was

2. How everything seemed to take place around white walls. The production design (Hawaii notwithstanding) was very plain. So the white cover just suits it so well for me.

And I like how his face is shaded. And PTA is right, the head is a funny shape. Quirky. That's how I wanna sum up PDL, not romantic, or lush, but quirky.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

Hmm.  I see.  Vedy intelestink.....
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

Derek

Am I the only one who thought the kiss was a great shot in the movie, but a pissy poster, sure to look even worse on a dvd cover?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

chainsmoking insomniac

I'm not in that camp.  Although SoNowThen has a very interesting perspective on this.  Personally, I saw the movie as an offbeat romance...which is why I thought they should include Emily Watson and Sandler in something approaching romantic, though not necessarily the Kiss.
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

sphinx

I THINK THE POSTER SHOULD HAVE BEEN A CLOSE-UP OF PHILLIP SEYMOUR HOFFMANS FACE BECAUSE HE IS A FINE ACTOR I ADMIRE HIS BODY OF WORK CAREER-WISE THAT IS WHAT?HELLO

chainsmoking insomniac

Um...could you shout a little louder?  I don't think Sandler and Watson heard you.... :?
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

chainsmoking insomniac

Thanks for that.  It's much appreciated.... :roll:
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

MacGuffin

THE POSTER SHOULD HAVE BEEN JUST A CLOSE-UP OF PUDDING. NO ACTORS' FACES, JUST CREAMY CHOCOLATE GOODNESS.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

chainsmoking insomniac

--Morgan Freeman, Se7en

Cecil

got it this morning after work. better late than never (or so they say)

i love the cover too.

Ernie

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI got it for 17.99 today at Best Buy. And plenty in stock.

But they didn't put it on the "new releases" shelf...

Same here. They put it in the freaking drama section...I figured it would be in comedy, guess PTA's intentions went unfulfilled.

There definitely wasn't plenty left though, I got one of the last three.

sphinx

Quote from: ebeamanI figured it would be in comedy, guess PTA's intentions went unfulfilled.

if you watch the toronto film festival press conference for PDL, you can see his rant about genres labels and how he sort of dislikes them...

Duck Sauce

On Howard Stern this morning they were talking about PDL on DVD and...

RQ: Heres Adam Sandler talking about his movie Punch Drunk Love, released today

HS: Awful movie. Just awful. I dare anybody to try to watch this movie. I tried to watch it and...

RQ: Yeah, its pretty bad I guess

HS: Terrible movie

RQ: And here is Reece Witherspoon to talk about Legally Blonde 2

HS: Oooh, this looks good. I cant wait for this

chainsmoking insomniac

Well shit, I just might have to change my morning radio habit..... 8)
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en