jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #75 on: April 25, 2021, 10:18:00 PM
oh never mind it wasnít even heightened emotions. not sure what Hopkins was in

wilberfan

• Gentleman beyond employment
Reply #76 on: April 25, 2021, 10:21:53 PM
[Joaquin] Phoenix is flat-out refusing to do the introductions. Heís just readiní names and runniní away. What a guy.

My man.
A gentleman beyond employment

Drenk

Reply #77 on: April 25, 2021, 10:28:05 PM
Hahahahaha. Why did they expect Boseman to win? Soderbergh loves gambling, I guess. Biggest L of the night.

This was mostly a No Bullshit ceremony, reading names and giving Oscars. Not sure Iíll keep watching in the future, Iíve missed two in the last years, and only watched this one in order to eat during the night since itís ramadan.

I donít have much attachment to the Thing, but I understand why it must particularly suck for you, wilberfan.
Ascension.

wilberfan

Reply #78 on: April 25, 2021, 10:31:15 PM
Thanks, man.

I really hope I have a reason to be excited to watch the ceremony next year--if you know what I mean. 

jenkins

Reply #79 on: April 25, 2021, 10:40:42 PM

wilberfan

Reply #80 on: April 27, 2021, 11:24:58 AM
The 2021 Oscars Will Shake Up the Awards Show Format and ďFeel Like a Movie,Ē According to Steven Soderbergh

But perhaps the most intriguing approach to the 2021 Oscars ceremony is that Soderbergh wants it to feel like a movie. The filmmaker vaguely explained what he means by that:

ďItís going to feel like a movie in that thereís an overarching theme thatís articulated in different ways throughout the show. So the presenters are essentially the storytellers for each chapter. We want you to feel like it wasnít a show made by an institution. We want you to feel like youíre watching a show that was made by a small group of people that really attacked everything that feels generic or unnecessary or insincere. Thatís the kind of intention when I watch shows like this that is missing for me. A voice. It needs to have a specific voice.Ē

From a post-Oscar analysis yesterday at the Hollywood Reporter:

What, by the way, was all the hoopla about the telecast being like a movie? Yes, it was shot with high-def cameras, but other than that? It feels like that was something the producers felt they had to say in order for the telecast to receive the classification of a film/TV production, which, in turn, allowed them to have attendees go maskless while on-camera

If that's accurate, that's some bullshit right there, Soderbergh...

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #81 on: April 27, 2021, 06:55:32 PM
I didn't watch, but I thought it was also 24fps and used a wide aspect ratio.

Ask a mask-vigilant person, that doesn't really bother me. I'm just assuming they were all tested and probably the vast majority vaccinated.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

WorldForgot

• 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #82 on: April 28, 2021, 08:47:34 AM
Personally I thought some of the aesthetic choices kept the night afloat, the wide aspect ratio and steadicam work, Questlove's mix.

jenkins