How about a 2020 Xixax Dekapenticon? - THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by ono, December 01, 2020, 02:36:17 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Just FYI, if Twin Peaks The Return is eligible for this, I will burn the whole thing to the ground.

Looking at you, Sleepless.

ono

Alethia

Sleepless

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 06, 2020, 10:06:28 PM
Just FYI, if Twin Peaks The Return is eligible for this, I will burn the whole thing to the group.

Looking at you, Sleepless.

It's my #1 on Letterboxd but I'll begrudgingly forego having that fight again here because efforts would be better spent on championing other Lynch films - but what? Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Wild At Heart, Fire Walk With Me...?

Quote from: Robyn on December 06, 2020, 06:48:09 PM
Bande Apart is the best Godard.

I humbly submit Pierrot le Fou. Agree on Brief Encounter though.

More suggestions to follow I'm sure, but for now...

• Easy Rider
  • The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

* burn the whole thing to the ground

Ugh. Was that auto-correct or my bad brain?

Sleepless

Either way, I quoted it before you had a chance to correct, so I'll consider that a minor victory on the subject  :finger:
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

PinkTeeth

Wait a tick... just bringing this in over from some shout box for clarification...

Sounds like concert films are out?
I too had Stop Making Sense on my list, as well as Fantasia...

Are these not movies anymore?
New Name, Same Typos.

ono

They are movies, yes.  But they're not narratives.  It's like comparing apples and oranges.  As mentioned in the shoutbox, it's kind of the same reasons why documentaries and animated features eventually got their own categories at the Oscars (even though of course they are narratives).  Otherwise, they'd be hopelessly overshadowed.  Concert films live even more on the fringe than those, and they don't even really intersect in any realistic Venn diagram other than that they're movies.  I think ultimately you'd be hard to pressed to find documentaries or animated films crawl their way up on the list, let alone concert films -- or miniseries, a whole other can of worms.

Given as how I wasn't calling the shots back in '04/'06, I would defer to any of the admins still around from then if they have a different opinion.

Jeremy Blackman

My instinct is to suggest those (concert films, documentaries, animated) could be included. Kind of like you're saying, ono, if they're really good enough to compete with "all movies," more power to them, right?

I think if it's a movie intended to stand on its own, sure, why not. If it's split into episodes like a miniseries or a season of television, that is obviously television and not a movie.

ono

Aight, consider my arm twisted.  May the best series of moving images accompanied by sound that isn't arbitrarily cut up into episodes such that it wouldn't realistically be feasible to watch them in one sitting even though it was crafted by an esteemed auteur win.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ono on December 08, 2020, 09:20:49 PMAight, consider my arm twisted.  May the best series of moving images accompanied by sound that isn't arbitrarily cut up into episodes such that it wouldn't realistically be feasible to watch them in one sitting even though it was crafted by an esteemed auteur win.

(Tangent warning.) I know you agree with me on this, but I think a primary reason for excluding seasons of television is that they're cut up into episodes not arbitrarily — but with meaning and for a purpose. That seems screamingly obvious with Twin Peaks The Return, just to choose a random example. Even shows that don't craft episodes individually quite as much, maybe ones that are super-heavily serialized, tend to end an episode on a cliffhanger or a button of some kind, which has its own important significance and is kind of a defining feature of the medium.

I can't even think of a TV show or miniseries that does not have meaningful divisions among episodes. (I'm sure they exist, but they're surely a rare exception.)

PinkTeeth

New Name, Same Typos.

PinkTeeth

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 08, 2020, 10:23:48 PM
Quote from: ono on December 08, 2020, 09:20:49 PMAight, consider my arm twisted.  May the best series of moving images accompanied by sound that isn't arbitrarily cut up into episodes such that it wouldn't realistically be feasible to watch them in one sitting even though it was crafted by an esteemed auteur win.

(Tangent warning.) I know you agree with me on this, but I think a primary reason for excluding seasons of television is that they're cut up into episodes not arbitrarily — but with meaning and for a purpose. That seems screamingly obvious with Twin Peaks The Return, just to choose a random example. Even shows that don't craft episodes individually quite as much, maybe ones that are super-heavily serialized, tend to end an episode on a cliffhanger or a button of some kind, which has its own important significance and is kind of a defining feature of the medium.

I can't even think of a TV show or miniseries that does not have meaningful divisions among episodes. (I'm sure they exist, but they're surely a rare exception.)

I was tempted to put Horace & Pete on my list, but that feels closer to stage than screen... I'm sticking to movies.
New Name, Same Typos.

Sleepless