Unpopular PTA opinions

Started by Drill, March 03, 2020, 06:59:55 PM

Alethia

I remember at the DGA screening DDL said he hadn't even watched the film yet and likely wasn't going to.

Drenk

He had an existential crisis while shooting, even though he had flirted with the idea of retirement for years. I don't find that particularly weird.
Ascension.

trytotell

I too noticed he seemed to be avoiding Krieps. Maybe he developed real feelings for her or something lol. Just kidding.

I guess they probably just needed a break from each other after a claustrophobic shoot. I hope they're still close though.

Alma

Yeah apparently Krieps was with PTA at the Uncut Gems screening recently so it seems they're friends at least. DDL is just awkward doing press in general so it might not mean anything.

Unpopular PTA opinions:
- Inherent Vice is a masterpiece
- Julianne's Moore's Magnolia arc is great
- I like Haim lmao

Tdog

Quote from: Alma on March 04, 2020, 01:15:07 PM
Yeah apparently Krieps was with PTA at the Uncut Gems screening recently so it seems they're friends at least.

Oh that's good!

Alethia

Ugh I wanna be friends with them.

ThereWillBeOreos

Punch-Drunk Love, TWBB, and The Master is his best work. These are interchangeable for my favorite PTA movie!

I watched IV two times, it was hard both times, but for some reason, my mind's been thinking of a third rewatch for some reason.

All his movies should be on Criterion!

Okay so maybe these aren't unpopular :(

putneyswipe

Not an "unpopular" opinion per se but the more I revisit it the more I think The Master towers alone over the rest of his work.

Robyn

IV is as it's best when it's not focusing on the plot of the novel and is just PTA doing his usually thing.

axxonn

Quote from: trytotell on March 03, 2020, 11:16:26 PM
I like IV, but I think Waterston was his biggest miscasting (not counting Kel O'Neill  :yabbse-grin:). I don't really like how she played the role and her scenes just didn't quite work. Why was she slurring her words like she was half-asleep? She's supposed to stand out more than any other woman in the film, but I think Joanna Newsom and Hong Chau "popped" way more than her. Phoenix also had clearly better chemistry with Witherspoon and I wish she had been in the film more. From what I remember, Penny is in the book almost as much as Shasta, but he clearly didn't care about Penny and was focused too much on Shasta. Not really a fan of Waterston in what else I've seen from her either.

This is more off-track, but I thought it sucked how little DDL did for PT on the press tour. I wonder what their current relationship is like and if they were covering some sort of falling out, but the vibes between them were off.

I think Waterston was absolutely perfect - I really can't imagine anyone else who could embody Shasta like she did. Don't forget, we only ever see Shasta in context of (and with) Doc, and each scene with her is a total daze of semi-hallucination (in reference to your comment that she sounds "half-asleep"). To me, physically and spiritually, she conveys everything about Shasta and those other women of the era who were swept up by social movements and other undercurrents and who gradually become lost  to themselves and those around them. It's a really hard part too, because she's basically a ghost. But everything about her demeanour, her words, the evident old magnetism between her and Doc - it's all there.  I think the flashback with her and Doc in the rain is one of the best single moments PTA has ever put on film.

Tdog

jviness02

1. Julianne Moore is bad in Magnolia

2. I still love it, but Magnolia is a bit of an immature mess. It kind of feels like one of those movies you watch as a high school senior and think is super deep and then when you watch it again as an adult and  you realize it's not.

3.  The Master is definitely his best film.

4.  Most of his modern music videos aren't special and if someone else directed them, none of us would care. That's not really a criticism of him as I don't think he puts much thought in them, but maybe a criticism of us PTA heads who over-analyze everything.

5.  Adam Sandler has given the best performance in a PTA film.

wilberfan

Quote from: jviness02 on March 04, 2020, 03:38:36 PM
4.  Most of his modern music videos aren't special and if someone else directed them, none of us would care.

I can feel my reluctance to admit this to myself, but with the possible exception of ANIMA, this is extremely true.   

jviness02

Quote from: wilberfan on March 04, 2020, 03:43:40 PM
4.  Most of his modern music videos aren't special and if someone else directed them, none of us would care.

I can feel my reluctance to admit this to myself, but with the possible exception of ANIMA, this is extremely true.

Ah, I wasn't even thinking of ANIMA as a music video. ANIMA is indeed an exception. It's great.

I'll add another one I forgot to mention:

Junun is boring.

Alethia

Quote from: jviness02 on March 04, 2020, 03:47:18 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on March 04, 2020, 03:43:40 PM

Ah, I wasn't even thinking of ANIMA as a music video. ANIMA is indeed an exception. It's great.

I'll add another one I forgot to mention:

Junun is boring thrilling.

Fixed.