Casting what-if's

Started by Freddie Dodd, October 13, 2019, 03:37:24 PM

kingfan011

Quote from: Robyn on March 03, 2020, 01:40:05 PM
Quote from: kingfan011 on March 03, 2020, 01:24:04 PM
I remember listening to that clip and Elswitt seemed to really dislike him now.

Please post it here if you can. :)

The link for the podcast is in the article below. Not sure if it still works.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/robert-elswit-paul-thomas-anderson-cinematographer-1202044674/

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilberfan on March 03, 2020, 01:13:17 PM
continues to work with Joanne Sellers

Her and Daniel Lupi seem to be essential to his crew ~
What's dope is when his crew carries over into other productions (Peele's Us).

Robyn

Quote from: kingfan011 on March 03, 2020, 01:54:03 PM
Quote from: Robyn on March 03, 2020, 01:40:05 PM
I remember listening to that clip and Elswitt seemed to really dislike him now.

Please post it here if you can. :)

The link for the podcast is in the article below. Not sure if it still works.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/robert-elswit-paul-thomas-anderson-cinematographer-1202044674/

Thanks!

Alethia

Quote from: wilberfan on March 03, 2020, 01:13:17 PM
Not strictly a casting whaht-if question, but do we have any sense of why PTA has continued to work with some people since his early career--but not others? 

I've been thinking about that recently.  It occurred to me today that he hasn't used (for example) Melora Walters since Magnolia--but continues to work with Joanne Sellers.  He used Christine Sheaks (Casting) for two or three films and switched to the Asst Casting Director on Boogie Nights since.  It seems clear he would have continued to work with PSH.  He seems to have had a falling out with Elswit...  But he's worked with Bridges on every. single. film.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it, and people's paths just naturally converge and diverge...

No I think that's interesting to. I have wondered if PTA has fallen out with anybody else. You wouldn't know as he seems to keep any unpleasantness like that close to the chest.

I was completely surprised that he Elswitt had a falling out. I remember listening to that clip and Elswitt seemed to really dislike him now. I had no idea.

I'll have to listen again, but my impression listening to that clip a year ago wasn't that he really disliked him, per se, just that they weren't getting along creatively on Inherent Vice. He didn't even rule out, per my sewer-dump of a memory, the possibility of them working together again. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, Melora Walters is in The Master (her voice only - but all of her appears in the Back Beyond short).

Shughes

He didn't get on with Mihai Mălaimare Jr on The Master either, right? I'd love to know more details about that... In my opinion his most beautiful film. Sometimes that tension can yield great results.

Any word on who's shooting the new one? Khondji maybe?

kingfan011

Quote from: Shughes on March 03, 2020, 07:52:52 PM
He didn't get on with Mihai Mălaimare Jr on The Master either, right? I'd love to know more details about that... In my opinion his most beautiful film. Sometimes that tension can yield great results.

Any word on who's shooting the new one? Khondji maybe?

I remember hearing those rumors numerous times when The master came out. Basically that he and Mihai did not get along at all due to Anderson's very loose shooting style and Anderson ended up ghost DPing half the film.

Freddie Dodd

There was some Boogie Nights casting what if's that haven't been posted yet.

-Sean Penn and John Turturro(holy fuck) were considered for the role of Rahad Jackson.

-Julia Ormond and Joey Richardson were also contenders for the role of Amber Waves.

-Ben Affleck, Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Ethan Hawke, Vincent Gallo were in contention for the role of Dirk Diggler. Every prominent leading male from this age cohort was fighting for the iconic character role.

This is one movie where even if the casting becomes so indistinct with the actors that it's hard to picture anyone else I tried to envision the possibilities of alt-universe where these actors got the roles.  What do our resident fans here think of the potential casting of the film? If the original actors hadn't reprised their role which actor would you choose to replace them in the year 1997?

Alethia

The prospect of a Vincent Gallo-led Boogie Nights holds tremendous appeal for me.

Freddie Dodd

It would be fascinating to see how PTA and Gallo would get along on set. Knowing his antics I could see some bad blood that makes the PTA-Burt clash look like kiddie school. I know he bashed the film in a interview he gave sometime in the late nineties.

Drill

These are obviously fake. Who the hell is Joey Richardson? That actress from Nip/Tuck? Come on.

Freddie Dodd

Quote from: Drill on March 06, 2020, 09:40:38 AM
These are obviously fake. Who the hell is Joey Richardson? That actress from Nip/Tuck? Come on.

Some of these rumors are far-fetched, take it with a grain of salt. They. all come from either the Not Starring web page or from IMDB. I mean, Richardson seems like a random choice for a titular role when there where far more prominent early-mid 30's actresses who would be in consideration for the part. That sticks out like a thumb when placed in the contenders for the role such as Tomei(Oscar winner, rising star) and Leigh(PTA friend, critical darling).