About Endlessness

Started by wilder, September 03, 2019, 12:28:15 PM

wilder

With ABOUT ENDLESSNESS, Roy Andersson adds to his cinematic oeuvre with a reflection on human life in all its beauty and cruelty, its splendour and banality. We wander, dreamlike, gently guided by our Scheherazade-esque narrator. Inconsequential moments take on the same significance as historical events: a couple floats over a war-torn Cologne; on the way to a birthday party, a father stops to tie his daughter's shoelaces in the pouring rain; teenage girls dance outside a cafe; a defeated army marches to a prisoner of war camp. Simultaneously an ode and a lament, ABOUT ENDLESSNESS presents a kaleidoscope of all that is eternally human, an infinite story of the vulnerability of existence.

Written and Directed by Roy Anderson
Release Date - TBD

polkablues

Crazy how you can instantly tell it's a Roy Andersson film just from a random still frame on a YouTube thumbnail.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

I can tell and I have never seen one of his movies.
Ascension.

wilder

'What Could Go Wrong?' by Imogen Sara Smith / Film Comment

wilder

jenkins

Currently playing at the Laemmle Royal, as is The Human Voice/Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

jenkins

Quote from: jenkins on May 01, 2021, 04:03:50 PM
Currently playing at the Laemmle Royal

and thus my 13+ months away from a theater came to an end this Tuesday night. the strange feeling I experienced was a lack of absence. it felt more like I had last been there on the previous Friday. it's all so natural to me I suppose. such a part of my normal life experience. it didn't feel like a reunion with an old friend so much as seeing an old friend again

you know, it's Andersson. he tickles my soul and when I leave his movies I see his movies in my life. I felt that way this time too. discussing the particulars seems like something that I just don't want to do. he both normalizes the horrible and elevates it too. he portrays the quotidian like it's transcendence. the natural as if it's supernatural. he's a Wes Anderson who isn't trying so hard, although I think Roy Andersson in fact tries harder. making hard work feel light is what artists do