WorldForgot

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #180 on: May 04, 2021, 11:05:44 AM

jenkins

Reply #181 on: May 07, 2021, 01:54:44 PM
The Innkeepers -- I can't remember how I remembered this movie and after I ordered it I then forgot I had ordered it so when I checked my mail table and saw a package I thought oh what's this until I opened it and was like oh right. but anyway I know it's the normalcy of this movie that attracts me to it. I think Ti West achieves Ermanno Olmi-levels of normalcy, and in fact that's why this movie in particular stands out for me. the premise itself is normal. the end of the movie is normal. it's so normal and yet it's cinematic from the first to last shot. I can't think of another movie that so accurately depicts the experience of throwing away a large trash bag with liquid at its bottom. poetry to normalcy is one thing, but it's widely agreed that normalcy to poetry is even harder

Shaun of the Dead -- because certain people find the Sparks documentary downright awful, it's also being revealed to me that certain people find this director awful in general. which made me want to rewatch Shaun of the Dead, to see if I still don't like it much, because I've never liked it much. and, well there are some great shots at the beginning, a crisp cinematic grammar, but this movie is, in fact, even worse over time. that generic rock music during transitions: way ughck! normal fine, but generic gross. and, just, Ed shouldn't have used the n word. he shouldn't have. and the meta references to British tv shows were vaguely interesting at the time but they don't hold up worth a damn. it possesses appreciable qualities but it's not an impressive movie

jenkins

Reply #182 on: May 08, 2021, 03:15:16 AM

I watched Ilo Ilo because I had to, because I wanted to watch a Singaporean movie, and it's the first Singaporean movie to win a Cannes award, back in 2013, the Caméra d'Or, which has also been won by over a handful of celebrated filmmakers. props to wilder for having started a replyless xixax topic for this movie. it's a flawless movie and the best Caméra d'Or discovery I've experienced since Or (My Treasure). it was my first time watching a movie on tubi and the commercial experience wasn't so bad, I just fucking opened another browser window meanwhile. it took me about six hours to watch this 1 1/2 hr movie in my bedroom, which is shorter than average for me. they say that tubi makes more money off the commercials than streaming subscriptions, which can explain tubi's massive library. anyway this movie was so good I don't even deserve it