Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

kingfan011

Ya I always assumed it was because Anderson wanted to get filming and not wait that it moved.

Yes

Quote from: wrongright on April 30, 2021, 03:46:47 PM
Quote from: BigSock on April 30, 2021, 03:33:34 PM
Quote from: wrongright on April 30, 2021, 03:14:01 PM
Quote from: WorldForgot on April 30, 2021, 01:51:07 PM
Quote from: wrongright on April 30, 2021, 01:12:09 PM
A pretty lame, boring cast tbh. Is it smart to even release this wide, let alone on Christmas day? What's the draw here? Bradley Cooper in a small role? Meh.

Do you go to the cinema only for stars?

No, but it's a significant part of it for most moviegoers. I'm surprised that MGM would throw $40 million at this and release it wide on Christmas with no stars in the lead roles from a director whose films aren't audience-friendly.

They're releasing it wide after a month of limited release to build word of mouth and Oscar buzz. It's going to do months of festivals before opening in theaters and will use the Oscar buzz to compensate for lack of stardom.

PTA doesn't breakout at box office anyway. And MGM will release it onto streaming in like Feb anyway

We don't know yet whether this will have much Oscar buzz. And like you said, his films don't breakout at the box office anyways, which is why I'm surprised.

It is going to have a November release date--it has Oscar buzz

wilberfan

This film will have no bigger supporter than yours truly for some Academy notice--and Nov/Dec is certainly Oscar season--but to be cynical for a moment--will it have a diverse enough cast and/or a weighty enough 'message' to garner nominations?  I think both are a no.  Perhaps it can pull on some nostalgic heartstrings of some of the older voters, or maybe enough younger voters who 'get' PTA will help it along.

Alma

I think for all the talk about diversity actually very little has changed in Hollywood and that won't matter to voters at all if they like the film. This was a bit of a weird year cause a lot of the things that would usually be contenders were pushed back, but of last year's 9 best picture nominees only Parasite had a mostly non-white cast and only Little Women had mostly female main characters (I'm guessing this is what you mean by diversity?). I wouldn't say that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman, Marriage Story or Ford vs. Ferrari had particularly "weighty" or topical messages either in the way I imagine you mean.

Even this year Mank, the only film released in awards season by a well-known director who's been previously nominated, was the nominations leader, despite having relatively mixed reviews and not that much buzz.

Yes

Quote from: wilberfan on May 01, 2021, 11:22:38 AM
This film will have no bigger supporter than yours truly for some Academy notice--and Nov/Dec is certainly Oscar season--but to be cynical for a moment--will it have a diverse enough cast and/or a weighty enough 'message' to garner nominations?  I think both are a no.  Perhaps it can pull on some nostalgic heartstrings of some of the older voters, or maybe enough younger voters who 'get' PTA will help it along.

Mank was an entirely white cast with 1 substantial female role and had 10 nominations and won 2 Oscars. What was the message there? Did you forget about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? Irishman had 10 nominations, too

pynchonikon

Insisting on shooting despite the high risks last summer/autumn was sth that bothered me for a while, too.
I hold on my thought that they believe in it and if the critics consensus is anywhere near the Phantom Thread territory (and far for the Master/IV controversy), all will be fine.

Tarantino, Baumbach, Scorsese and Fincher, like PTA, are all well known and respected filmmakers in the industry, they don't need forced usage of diversity (I mean just for the sake of it) in order to be noticeable by the Academy. And their last films (except perhaps Mank which was released in an extremely weak season) all had great critical reception.

nomorecoffee

Do we have any clue of how long this is going to be? Maybe based on how many shooting days for those who went and visit the set?
Also I don't remember, was the anamorphic confirmed 100% for this?

pynchonikon

Quote from: nomorecoffee on May 03, 2021, 05:46:04 PM
Do we have any clue of how long this is going to be? Maybe based on how many shooting days for those who went and visit the set?

a)filming lasted about 12 weeks, though if I remember correctly the covid restrictions affected the duration of daily shooting
Pure guess: 120-140 minutes

b)officially no, but the technical specs on imdb refer the aspect ratio 2.35 : 1, and also I remember a particular discussion on reddit with a guy who seemed to be expert on this stuff and could tell from some set pics that they were using anamorphic lenses.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: pynchonikon on May 03, 2021, 06:26:01 PM

a)filming lasted about 12 weeks, though if I remember correctly the covid restrictions affected the duration of daily shooting

b)officially no, but the technical specs on imdb refer the aspect ratio 2.35 : 1, and also I remember a particular discussion on reddit with a guy who seemed to be expert on this stuff and could tell from some set pics that they were using anamorphic lenses.

In one of the outdoor nighttime photos, you can see a screen (for dailies? Framing? I'm not the expert), but I believe from the marks on the screen, he was able to see they were shooting on anamorphic.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

PaulElroy35

Quote from: pynchonikon on May 03, 2021, 06:26:01 PM

are you purely guessing or are you thinking thats the case based on shooting time. Only because the shooting time doesnt really matter as far as the runtime goes does it.

itwasgood

Have absolutely no idea if this EXCLUSIVE piece of article is reliable but here it is:

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2021/5/ytjmen28sufns7l1sj1xa0m7ot0lti

QuoteEXCLUSIVE: At the moment, the Cannes Film Festival is expected to take place on July 6th, even as France currently remains in semi-lockdown due to a surge of COVID-19 cases. Regardless, the European movie industry needs Cannes to happen and a very Euro-centric lineup is said to be in the works.

With all that being said, a source deep within the selection committee of the festival is telling me that Thierry Fremaux and the gang are desperately trying to nab Paul Thomas Anderson's new film "Soggy Bottom" for official competition. Suffice to say, this would be a major get for Cannes and it could lead to a reluctant U.S. press corps actually making the trek down to the croisette two months from now.

However, there is a major issue at hand here. Anderson is willing to finish editing his film by July for Cannes, but distributors behind his latest film are telling him to wait it out for the fall festivals instead (Toronto, Venice, Telluride, New York). They not only want Anderson to take his time completing the picture, but don't believe that going to Cannes is a good idea given the logistics that would come in premiering a film in Europe in the middle of a pandemic.

Of course, Cannes boss Thierry Fremaux very much wants "Soggy Bottom" to have its world premiere there and is going that extra mile to try and attain this golden nugget of a film. There has been a lot of back-and-forth between the festival and ''Soggy', but ultimately, what I am being told is that, unless things improve quickly in France with the COVID situation, we're most likely going to see the film have its world premiere at Venice in September.

Anderson has not had a film premiere at Cannes since 2002's "Punch Drunk-Love." If "Soggy Bottom" does manage to sneak into Cannes 2021 then it would quite simply be the most anticipated title of this year's edition of the fest.

Drenk

That makes sense. Frankly, COVID isn't improving at all in France, so I believe that Soggy Bottom won't make it for that reason and the fact that, logistically speaking, giving time to edit and premiering in the Fall festivals would benefit Anderson and the studio.
Ascension.

kingfan011

Quote from: Drenk on May 05, 2021, 12:18:31 PM
That makes sense. Frankly, COVID isn't improving at all in France, so I believe that Soggy Bottom won't make it for that reason and the fact that, logistically speaking, giving time to edit and premiering in the Fall festivals would benefit Anderson and the studio.

Agreed I understand the prestige of premiering at Cannes after 20 years but I would wait for Venice

Alma

That guy basically makes stuff up from what he's seen on twitter and forums, although what he's said seems logical (he'll be able to claim he's right either way though, I suppose).

Lewton

Quote from: itwasgood on May 05, 2021, 11:36:03 AM
Anderson has not had a film premiere at Cannes since 2002's "Punch Drunk-Love."

My post here is probably a bit tangential for this thread but I'm personally not sure what to say about the new movie at this early point, so...anyway, the article quote above reminds me that David Lynch was one of the jury members who awarded PDL the Best Director award at Cannes in 2002.

Lynch later went on to praise Anderson in an interview years later but he also mentioned he didn't like There Will Be Blood (or something like that). I've always wondered what it was about that movie that didn't work for him.

Anyway, I found this through a Google search and this part is news to me:

QuoteWe can also read in the review of the French Newspaper "La voix du nord" (in the critics section) that: "At the end of the morning screening, David Lynch remained seated until the credits were over. He was left almost by himself in a deserted screening room. One can assume this is a good sign for Paul Thomas Anderson and his outstanding actor, Adam Sandler."

Source (just as an FYI, this website prompted one of those "not secure" warnings in my browser): http://damienfree.fr.free.fr/punch_drunk_love_screening.htm