Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

jviness02

I feel like there is at least one more big name that we don't know about, but that's just a hunch. In the grand scheme of things, we don't know much, so I'd hold my judgement of the cast. If it wasn't for the campaign posters, we wouldn't even know Safdie was in it. We've seen next to nothing.

kingfan011

Quote from: jviness02 on April 30, 2021, 04:32:23 PM
I feel like there is at least one more big name that we don't know about, but that's just a hunch. In the grand scheme of things, we don't know much, so I'd hold my judgement of the cast. If it wasn't for the campaign posters, we wouldn't even know Safdie was in it. We've seen next to nothing.

I've said this before but in earlier reports there was mention of a  female talent agent role. If there is a big name or at least a medium name thats what would be whats left.

Drill

I'm wondering if they're going to be any POC in this.

kingfan011

Quote from: Drill on April 30, 2021, 05:15:13 PM

Not to be depressingly cynical you know that's a narrative that Film twitter will absolutely pick up on.

Alethia

Film twitter is irrelevant.

pynchonikon

I counted 8/39 on the imdb cast list (at least those who have a photo).

Drill

Quote from: pynchonikon on April 30, 2021, 05:45:55 PM

I counted 8/39 on the imdb cast list (at least those who have a photo).

I meant in significant roles.

I don't care about Film twitter, but it's a pretty big weak spot in his work.

wrongright

Just read that The Northman, which is a Focus Features film, has a $60m budget. If that's true, then why did this move from Focus to MGM? $40m couldn't have been too much for this. What was the real issue?

PaulElroy35

Quote from: wrongright on April 30, 2021, 01:12:09 PM
A pretty lame, boring cast tbh. Is it smart to even release this wide, let alone on Christmas day? What's the draw here? Bradley Cooper in a small role? Meh.

So PTA isn't  a draw for you. Why do we need alot of big named stars for a film to be good. Oh right we dony do we.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: wrongright on April 30, 2021, 03:14:01 PM
Quote from: WorldForgot on April 30, 2021, 01:51:07 PM
Quote from: wrongright on April 30, 2021, 01:12:09 PM
A pretty lame, boring cast tbh. Is it smart to even release this wide, let alone on Christmas day? What's the draw here? Bradley Cooper in a small role? Meh.

Do you go to the cinema only for stars?

No, but it's a significant part of it for most moviegoers. I'm surprised that MGM would throw $40 million at this and release it wide on Christmas with no stars in the lead roles from a director whose films aren't audience-friendly.

When would you put the movie out then?

jviness02

Quote from: wrongright on April 30, 2021, 09:39:31 PM
Just read that The Northman, which is a Focus Features film, has a $60m budget. If that's true, then why did this move from Focus to MGM? $40m couldn't have been too much for this. What was the real issue?

The Northman seems to be a safer investment. Word on the street from those in the know is it's pretty accessible genre fare from Eggers. Industry folks have compared it to Gladiator and The Revenant. The last three films from PTA that didn't star DDL didn't make their budget back.  Realistically, he's going to have a hard time getting that kind of budget in today's climate considering his lack of BO success. It is what it is.

Tdog

Because PTA wanted easy access to the
Spoiler: ShowHide
Live and Let Die
music rights!

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Tdog on May 01, 2021, 02:26:06 AM

Because PTA wanted easy access to the
Spoiler: ShowHide
Live and Let Die
music rights!

I thought he was probably going to use songs from the era so yeah that and set dressing for that time aswell is probably why its 40mill.

Alma

I wouldn't be surprised if it also had to do with them wanting to start filming before Focus was ready, the Deadline article about the switch says,"I understand that the project's move from Focus to MGM wasn't contentious; that it wasn't necessarily about budget (Phantom Thread was made for an estimated $35M), and more about Anderson getting filming underway as soon as possible." It was the first thing to start up again in LA after everything shut down, I remember everyone being shocked it was filming when those billboards went up.

wilberfan

I suspect that COVID protocols had a serious impact on the actual production of the film.  On the one hand, probably a smaller crew than they might have used otherwise (which might have saved money in 'normal times')--but on the other more overhead in terms of the amount of time it would have taken the smaller crew to get things done.  Hard to imagine there wasn't a substantial impact on the budget.