Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

jviness02

He just released a movie where the main character's name is a dick joke. Even if he "acts his age", I don't think Paul's going to go stale anytime soon.

wilberfan

Tiffany Haddish Confirms She's Speaking to Paul Thomas Anderson: 'We're Probably Going to Work Together'

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/tiffany-haddish-paul-thomas-anderson-talks-movie-details-1201923711/

QuoteThe comedian has confirmed to Vulture that she has in fact called Anderson directly and now the two have spoken multiple times about a potential collaboration. Haddish says she and Anderson will "probably work together."

"I've been talking to him on the telephone!" Haddish said. "I mean, he put his phone number out there, so I had to call. I've talked to him a few times and we're probably gonna work together.

The collaboration is in the very early stages of development, but Haddish disclosed the two have been talking about the "Little Harlem" era of 1940s Los Angeles. It's not clear if the topic is being discussed as a potential movie setting or if the two are just talking about it because it both interests them.

"Well, we've been talking a lot about Los Angeles, back when Central Avenue was the Sunset Boulevard of L.A," Haddish said when asked about her talks with Anderson. "I don't know, I don't know!"

Drenk

There's a difference between making a movie set in the present day and acting like you're 26!
Ascension.

csage97

I don't really get the hate for Tarantino. I thought Inglorious Basterds was great. Django was good (though parts of the plot didn't really stand to common sense). My biggest gripe with Hateful Eight was that I didn't see much push to do something different from what Tarantino's done before. Nonetheless, a "Tarantino just being Tarantino again" movie is still far better than a ton of crappola out there, and he continues to be a highly stylized and unique voice in cinema. Plus he's so freaking enthusiastic about movies and lives and breathes them.

Of course, we shouldn't shy away from criticism no matter who the person is, but I don't think Tarantino is deserving the hate. I actually think that he gets that hate because his movies are so freaking good.

Alethia

I still really enjoy his films, but post-Kill Bill, or maybe even Inglorious Basterds, they just don't seem to have quite the same soul as the earlier ones, particularly Jackie Brown. (I love Jackie Brown intensely.) I've come to terms with this, however, and am really looking forward to his Manson film (not so much Star Trek.)

I heard someone on some podcast, I think Someone Else's Movie, express a similar sentiment, saying his characters and dialogue all used to sound totally unique and distinct from one another, whereas now, though the writing is still consistently strong from film to film, the characters all sound like Tarantino. It's still good, but not quite the same. I don't disagree with this.

I also reckon lots of people might feel the same about PTA these days, particularly in regard to Inherent Vice (they're wrong, of course.)  :)

Fuzzy Dunlop

I don't think its a Tarantino diss at all, unless I'm missing something I think its just referencing what QT has been saying about his own output and legacy for the past few years...

The reason Tarantino keeps claiming he's retiring after 10 films is because he is obsessed with his legacy and has a fear of getting old and making a few clunkers at the tail end of his career as so many filmmakers have. PTA and QT are both firmly in their prime years right now if you ask me.

Also no way QT's 10th film with actually be his last. I think that's partly a ploy to get studios to pony up $100m+ for his next few projects bc they may not get the chance again. I think after 10 he's gonna fuck around in the TV world for a few years and play coy before he gets a studio to cough up another serious chunk of change for his big triumphant comeback film.

Alethia

I hope that turns out to be true. ^^

jenkins

i'm proposing the idea that from Kill Bill to Inglourious Basterds to Django Unchained, QT was developing a rational perspective on the concept of revenge, a true appreciation for vengeance, which is one of the most violent major themes in the arts, a real fucking crusher, and i believe he reached a pitch on Django Unchained.

show me better! blood on the cotton at the end. i believe with H8 he reset himself back into further complexities which he'll flower during #9. that's what i'm proposing.

Robyn

Quote from: csage97 on February 01, 2018, 02:35:27 PM
I don't really get the hate for Tarantino. I thought Inglorious Basterds was great. Django was good (though parts of the plot didn't really stand to common sense). My biggest gripe with Hateful Eight was that I didn't see much push to do something different from what Tarantino's done before. Nonetheless, a "Tarantino just being Tarantino again" movie is still far better than a ton of crappola out there, and he continues to be a highly stylized and unique voice in cinema. Plus he's so freaking enthusiastic about movies and lives and breathes them.

Of course, we shouldn't shy away from criticism no matter who the person is, but I don't think Tarantino is deserving the hate. I actually think that he gets that hate because his movies are so freaking good.

I was obsessed with Tarantino in my teens, and then had my hate Tarantino period in my earlier 20s and was really pretentious about it. now i'm like "no, he's great and I don't care what people say". I also thought Hateful Eight was amazing, and have no reason to believe that he is declining. the next one sound promising.

csage97

Quote from: eward on February 01, 2018, 02:53:06 PM
I still really enjoy his films, but post-Kill Bill, or maybe even Inglorious Basterds, they just don't seem to have quite the same soul as the earlier ones, particularly Jackie Brown. (I love Jackie Brown intensely.) I've come to terms with this, however, and am really looking forward to his Manson film (not so much Star Trek.)

I get this. I suppose I have the same general feelings too. His early-ish stuff is transcendental, if you ask me. Personally, at least, there are moments in those early films that are sublime. The later stuff seems to lack a bit of that 90s/early 2000s era magic, but I still think his films from post-Kill Bill on are top notch relative to the majority of things that come from other directors, but maybe not as good relative to his own earlier filmography.

As a general comment, I get that people just might not jive with his particular style of storytelling and the way he shows violence. That's fine. If it personally doesn't suit someone, ah well. And then I can also get that he might come off as arrogant or self-important in interviews (I've seen some comments about that before), but I think it's just that he's eccentric and so enthusiastic about cinema. I've seen tons of comments online saying he's obsessed with particular genres and sees things in a deficient, egocentric way that makes his films garbage, and that's the sort of thing that irks me and leads me to believe that those people are just jealous about his status and willingness to wear what he loves about films on his sleeve. Is it for everyone? No. But, aside from enjoying his films, I have to appreciate that someone is working on his craft with such vigor, authenticity, and enthusiasm, and brings to the table a unique vision and intense knowledge of film history. Even if he puts out something I'm not so hot about, I respect his love for deep love for film that gets poured into whatever he does (and is he perfect? Nah, but that's a very small thing to me). It's a bit disappointing to see a bunch of people speak ill about his personal life and talk about his films like they're self-centred pieces of garbage because he's kind of weird and so into certain styles of movies that aren't totally Hollywood mainstream.

Gold Trumpet

It's funny but when I was thinking about filmmakers acting their age, one example I thought of was Martin Scorsese and The Wolf of Wall Street. When I say that, I don't think he's going to return to the zest and zeal of Boogie Nights or Magnolia. Look how dialed back Inherent Vice is compared to Boogie Nights and I think PTA is a filmmaker of restraint compared to his early days (also saying he would tell himself during Magnolia to calm the fuck down and cut 20 minutes).

wilberfan

Quote from: Mogambo on February 02, 2018, 04:52:59 AM
I want PTA to make a family movie in based in the suburbs.

See: Boogie Nights.    :wink:

Tdog

"Initially, I thought we'd film [this] in Cornwall – Daphne du Maurier country. I don't feel like I'm done here. My first idea was to do [an adaptation] of MR James, a Cambridge professor who'd write these great Christmas horror stories, and I may still revisit that.'"

Alethia

I would love to see him make a full-on ghost movie. Though can he top our very own Ghostboy? Not so sure.

HACKANUT

give me a ghost story or give me a 40s LA jazz epic. or both.

THIS SUMMER.
TIFFANY HADDISH IS SCARED AF, SEEEEEE?