Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Alma

Hmm kind of wish Tichenor was editing this.

d

Same here. Much as I love both The Master and Inherent Vice and with all due respect for Laslie Jones I think Tichenor is an amazing editor who really makes a difference. After watching the talks he gave recently about his process with specific examples and reading a few interviews, including that amazing one about Phantom Thread I respect his contribution to PTA's films even more. And if Anderson is indeed editing that one himself... I believe in the guy more than in any other artist but with Greenwood not working on that one I am not so sure.

jviness02

I really don't think PTA is editing this himself. That is baseless speculation, though if he did turn into a one man show like Soderbergh, I would hope that would make him as prolific as Soderbergh. I'd love to live in a world where random 90 minute PTA films pop out out of nowhere.   :yabbse-grin:

wrongright

No Tichenor? Uh oh.

Yes

Quote from: wrongright on May 20, 2021, 04:04:32 PM
No Tichenor? Uh oh.

What is wrong with you? Lol why devote your time into

I'm doing 5 hours of chemotherapy a day for testicular cancer. Seeing someone blatantly waste their time for trolling and reacting in the manner you do is absolutely pathetic to witness

The assistant editor credited worked on Phantom Thread and Christopher Nolan + Tarantino movies. It could easily be Jennifer Lame, Lee Smith or Fred Raskin editing

wrongright

Quote from: Yes on May 20, 2021, 04:36:10 PM
Quote from: wrongright on May 20, 2021, 04:04:32 PM
No Tichenor? Uh oh.

What is wrong with you? Lol why devote your time into

I'm doing 5 hours of chemotherapy a day for testicular cancer. Seeing someone blatantly waste their time for trolling and reacting in the manner you do is absolutely pathetic to witness

The assistant editor credited worked on Phantom Thread and Christopher Nolan + Tarantino movies. It could easily be Jennifer Lame, Lee Smith or Fred Raskin editing

Wtf? Sorry for what you're going though but calm down. I'm not trolling. I much prefer when Tichenor is the editor. I'm not sure about this movie. I'm allowed to think that.

Yes

The constant negativity is a bit much when it's a response to every topic. I don't think there's much to worry about this movie. Still very little actually confirmed

PaulElroy35

Come on guys if you dont have faith in a new editor you dont have faith in Paul for choosing them.

Working with a new editor  doesnt mean the films going to be a dud.

Yes

And it still might be Leslie Jones again! Only Tichenor was ruled out

d

Quote from: Mattbish19 on May 20, 2021, 06:22:37 PM
Come on guys if you dont have faith in a new editor you dont have faith in Paul for choosing them.

Working with a new editor  doesnt mean the films going to be a dud.
Of course it does not. It may be his best film.
I have almost absolute faith in his artistic choices but I think there is nothing wrong with expecting him to work with the best, knowing that the collaborations worked so well before. Maybe that's because I like Phantom Thread less than The Master, Inherent Vice and TWBB. If we agree that 90% of the quality is his input, that 10% should not be ignored.

I got super excited when Khondji was hinted at some time ago. With Greenwood, I understand this one may need period songs and his absence (if confirmed) will be more of a "sentimental" issue for me as their collaboration is one of my favourite artistic partnerships ever. As for the editor, of course, Tichenor not editing does not mean the film will be badly edited. He may choose someone equally talented. I am fine with Leslie Jones, even if not equally excited.

Finally, I hope you will not read that as unjustified negativity but while he is by far my favourite living filmmaker we cannot rule out 100% him being wrong in his decisions, regardless of the reasons. He is a genius screenwriter and director. But I believe Khondji is a better DOP and Tichenor is a better editor. Of course DOP may be the only role he "takes over" and I may be biased because of Phantom Thread. Hope my worries are pointless.

jenkins

I fucking love when you guys are like "okay let me expand this conversation into my own crazy shit"

d

Maybe it comes down to language nuances I do not get but honestly I do not understand what is wrong with "expanding conversation" and what is so crazy about what I wrote. I guess casting choices have been discussed here regarding this film and the previous ones. Why not talk about other choices?

I am super excited about this one, as I was every time since I realized how great a filmmaker he is. But that is also why I have strong feelings about such decisions that may or may not influence "quality" of the final product.

jenkins

totally. I don't know if it expands the conversation so much as continues it, but I'm not anti-conversation and this is the safe place for pta fans. there's no reason for you to think of yourself as detrimental to the environment

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Yes on May 20, 2021, 01:28:36 PM
https://twitter.com/mavericksmovies/status/1395444410972659712?s=20

Asked if Paul Thomas Anderson's go-to editor Dylan Tichenor was working on Soggy Bottom and was told he was busy on Eternals. I assume this means Leslie Jones who cut The Master & Inherent Vice is editing instead? Or maybe now that he's DPing his stuff he also wants to edit too?

Is PTA editing this?

To talk about Tichenor (instead of PTA) for a moment. He's had a fascinating, prestige career. And now editing a ChloĆ© Zhao MCU film? Bonkers! I wonder if there's something in his filmography that specifically drew the interest of Feige and Zhao.  Unbreakable, perhaps? Or maybe it was TWBB

Fuzzy Dunlop

Amazon & MGM Continuing Talks Puts Spotlight On Theatrical Distribution Of 'No Time To Die' & Upcoming Slate

https://deadline.com/2021/05/amazon-mgm-theatrical-distribution-no-time-to-die-film-slate-1234762211/

"With Amazon's recent acquisition of big pics like Paramount's Coming 2 America, and the studio's Skydance co-productions The Tomorrow War and Tom Clancy's Without Remorse, many sources tell us that the e-commerce giant's absorption of the Lion studio won't derail the MGM theatrical releases already scheduled for this year, as distributed by United Artists Releasing. Meaning, these titles won't be acquired and strictly relegated to a streaming release like the Paramount crop. Theatrical P&A budgets for the MGM/UAR slate have been locked, is what we hear...
Among the big features MGM has on its 2021 slate via UAR is the Aretha Franklin biopic Respect (August 13), The Addams Family 2 (October 1), No Time to Die (October 8), the Ridley Scott-directed Lady Gaga-Adam Driver pic House of Gucci (November 26), the untitled Paul Thomas Anderson movie (November 26) and Joe Wright's Cyrano (December 24)."