What shows are you watching?

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 06, 2017, 04:03:18 PM

Sleepless

Quote from: wilberfan on March 25, 2020, 10:15:43 PM
I've not actually watched any episodes (Episode 01 is queued up as we speak), but certain corners of the Interwebs seem to be quite agog over this one.

[edit]  Two episodes in.  Holy crap.  And I have a feeling this is only going to get weirder and weirder.

^ Thematically related, you might also want to check out the new podcast Cat People, from some of the people who brought you Bundyville.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilberfan

Only two episodes in so far, but an absolutely stunning lead performance from Shira Haas. 

Jeremy Blackman

I watched the first two episodes of Tiger King, and my brain is already broken. Go in knowing as little as possible.

Jeremy Blackman

Finished Tiger King. The best thing about this doc is the way it dishes out its reveals — they are done in a way that's very chaotic but strangely organic to the story. It's almost too brilliant for me to accurately describe.

If there's a weakness, it's that the series is a bit front-loaded. After four episodes of total madness, I was not as surprised by the final three, even though the twists do continue.

Spoiler: ShowHide
I am 90% convinced that Carol killed her husband and 100% convinced that Joe burned down the studio. I'm honestly not sure what to think of the murder-for-hire plot.

jenkins

it's definitely the first true crime show i feel like i'm missing out on from an entertaining perspective

putneyswipe

Is there any reason for all these netflix docs to be stretched out to 5+ hours? what happened to the 90-minute doc?

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 04, 2020, 01:36:39 AM
I am 90% convinced that Carol killed her husband and 100% convinced that Joe burned down the studio. I'm honestly not sure what to think of the murder-for-hire plot.

I think the biggest weakness of the show was the way it treated every story with the same level of credulity, regardless of actual plausibility. I know that's basically the set formula for this type of documentary, but it felt especially artless in this one. The
Carol killed her husband
theory is mind-numbingly absurd, and the filmmakers obviously know it, but they still treat the whole thing with a wink and a nudge and a "we're just asking the question" attitude. The show was entertaining, but I'm terrified of the idea that people are taking it as any sort of journalistic enterprise and forming opinions based on that notion.

That said, I'm amazed at how the other dude running the R. Kelly-style sex slave cult out of his tiger zoo has practically gone unmentioned in every article and discussion about the show.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilberfan

My favorite find of May, 2020 is this sweet, goofy little show ("The Dress Up Gang"):

https://youtu.be/GY9RbrTyCwA

Kind of a modern, thirtysomething "Leave It to Beaver", it takes the silliest, slightest premise and then plays it (UNDER-plays it!) to such a degree that it becomes sweet and hysterical.  A real treat.

wilder

I want to see it. Found out it's free streaming on the TBS website. Cool.

polkablues

I had never heard of them, but I'm going down a Youtube rabbit-hole. This is my favorite so far:

My house, my rules, my coffee

wilberfan

Quote from: putneyswipe on April 04, 2020, 08:09:17 AM
Is there any reason for all these netflix docs to be stretched out to 5+ hours? what happened to the 90-minute doc?

As I continue to wade thru all of the multi-episode docs coming online during these Pandemic Days (and enjoying them for the most part), this comment has really stayed with me.  "God dammit, he's right!", I find myself repeating over and over.   I didn't notice it before, but now that's it's been pointed out, I can't unsee it.  (I'm two episodes in to the Jeffrey Epstein doc at the moment.)

How does a multi-part program work to Netflix's benefit vs a 2 hour one-er?

WorldForgot

Just from the habits I've noticed of people I live with --- it seemz more likely someone will agree to 40 minutes, and get hooked for the next two or three 40-minute/50-minute eps after, than they'd tune in to a film that reads approx.120minutes runtime.

wilberfan

I must say that echoes my experience with Epstein last night (so to speak):  I stayed up very late to finish all four episodes in one go.  Horrifying, but compelling stuff--but I think it would have been the same at half the length.

wilberfan

Quote from: wilberfan on May 03, 2019, 09:07:55 PM

Ramy Hassan is a first generation Egyptian-American who is on a spiritual journey in his politically-divided New Jersey neighborhood. RAMY will bring a new perspective to the screen as it explores the challenges of what it's like being caught between a Muslim community that thinks life is a moral test and a millennial generation that thinks life has no consequences.

A much better show than I would have predicted.  Episode 7 was especially well done, with a wonderful performance from Hiam Abbass.   And quite a debut from young Madison Hine in episode 8 that really made an impression.

Another shout-out for this series, now in it's second season.  Many think (I happen to agree) that this season is even better than the first.

wilberfan

https://youtu.be/vC_N5GS-DI4

I've only seen 2 episodes, but this show is so fucking well done.  Impeccable performances across the board.  Not a false note anywhere.   Kind of Moonlight meets The Wire?