What shows are you watching?

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 06, 2017, 04:03:18 PM

Jeremy Blackman

The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale... on Netflix. Which I believe is one of their first weekly shows.

It's basically identical to The Soup, but slightly better. I bet it has most of the same writers, too. I'm on board.

Jeremy Blackman

Also checked out Altered Carbon. It's actually a really solid sci-fi show with a very high-budget feel. Joel Cinnamon is quite good. First episode is directed by our buddy Miguel Sapochnik and is basically an hour of effortless worldbuilding.

polkablues

Altered Carbon is a fun show, but man, does Sapochnik establish a level of filmmaking in that first episode that the series has no intention of living up to.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

Been getting into Red Oaks on Amazon. 8 episodes into S1. There've been a couple of duds, but the last two have been really great feel-good eps that just leave you wanting more.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

Is John Hodgman in any of the Red Oaks episodes you've seen?

Quote from: polkablues on February 20, 2018, 12:48:37 AM
Altered Carbon is a fun show, but man, does Sapochnik establish a level of filmmaking in that first episode that the series has no intention of living up to.

Dang. I've only seen the first one.  :yabbse-sad:

Sleepless

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 20, 2018, 10:52:31 AM

No, looks like he shows up in S2
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Robyn

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

apparently there is a 8 episode in season 2 that are the same episode in different angles. looking forward to be bored.

Sleepless

Quote from: Sleepless on February 20, 2018, 12:22:20 PM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 20, 2018, 10:52:31 AM

No, looks like he shows up in S2

Finished S2. He's alright in it. Not quite as jarring as John Oliver in Community or Steve Coogan in Curb, but still hard not to see him as the guy from the Apple ads. So he took me out of the show, something that no-one else does. Guys, you should all be watching this show. It's exec produced by David Gordon Green and Steven Soderberg, eps in this past season include DGG, Amy Heckerling, and Gregg Araki as directors. It's by turns warm-fuzzy-feelgood and then heartachingly sad and true to life. S1 is set up like a summer job fun show, but then it goes off in a completely different direction in S2, building on what went before and making it so much more. I have no idea what's going to happen in S3 but I'm already disappointed I only have 10 eps left. Loving it.

Jeremy Blackman

This is required viewing:

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80227437?trackId=200257858

Just watch the Japan segment starting at 17:10 (about 3 min).

Jeremy Blackman

House is on Amazon Prime now, apparently. Prime Video seems a bit lacking to me, but this is a good acquisition. Although the price is going up by $20/year...

polkablues

Sleepless

I'm trying to watch more movies than TV, but it's easier sometimes to throw on an episode or two of a show in the evenings. Ditched Netflix several months ago because it's gone to shit, so we're just left with whatever's on Prime now. Downton Abbey was surprisingly good, a period soap opera, but enjoyable. Rewatched Father Ted, which I recommend anyone who hasn't seen checks out - the first season is a little spotty, but it's a great cultural insight for Americans that other people don't take themselves too seriously and are plenty capable of laughing at central aspects of their life. Rovers was a surprisingly emotional 6-ep comedy in the vein of The Royle Family. Red Oaks, I've already mentioned - first ep or two are a little on the raunchy side, but it quickly become more John Hughes-esque and turns into a very sweet coming-of-age type story, going far beyond the confines of the country club setup of S1. The Grant Tour is a fun Friday night with some beers show when is on, but there's 2 seasons there if you haven't watched already. We're almost done watching Orphan Black, which is a great show, and Tatiana Maslany is incredibly playing 5+ characters each episode. One of them in particular, I constantly need to remind myself it's actually her and not a different actress portraying. She's that good. I'd like to check out Fortitude with Dennis Quaid next, it looks interesting. I think they have all of Doctor Who on there too, which is good. Lots of their flagship shows, I'll admit, don't look great. There's a few I've sampled and had to just give up that they are not for me at all. Hopefully things are going to get better, according to the trades there's been some shifts at the top, so they're going to move from more niche stuff (presumably Transparent, etc.) and into more broader stuff (such as the possibly Peter Jackson's LORT TV series). Hopefully that'll be a good thing. Honestly, though, with everything else you get with Prime - music streaming, photo storage, free shipping - it's worth the investment.

Fernando

The Looming Tower.

Synopsis: A look at how the rivalry between the CIA and FBI inadvertently set the stage for the tragedy of 9/11 and the war in Afghanistan.

Cast:  Jeff Daniels, Tahar Rahim, Wrenn Schmidt, Michael Stuhlbarg, Peter Sarsgaard.

Finished episode 8, without 'spoiling' if that even can be done about this show, it's very interest to see the dynamics between the US intelligent agencies and eventually they royally fucked up. It's inspired by the events, I don't know how accurate they are but anyone who watches will get mad by how the poor decisions of a few players had consequences that not only changed the US but the world.

And speaking about royally fucking up, the same kind of show or movie will be done eventually about the Russian hacking of the US election, and you'll get madder.

polkablues

Just finished watching season one of The Sinner, on the basis that Carrie Coon is playing a major part in season two, so it must be a worthwhile show. And... it is! Pretty familiar modern psychological crime thriller plotting, but the story holds together well, it stays compelling all the way through, and it's given me a newfound respect for the acting talents of both Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman (no small feat on the latter). It's a great example of a show in which character and plotting are inextricably woven into each other, which I consider a hallmark of good writing.

Alethia

Quote from: Fernando on July 24, 2018, 03:32:25 PM
The Looming Tower.

Synopsis: A look at how the rivalry between the CIA and FBI inadvertently set the stage for the tragedy of 9/11 and the war in Afghanistan.

Cast:  Jeff Daniels, Tahar Rahim, Wrenn Schmidt, Michael Stuhlbarg, Peter Sarsgaard.

Finished episode 8, without 'spoiling' if that even can be done about this show, it's very interest to see the dynamics between the US intelligent agencies and eventually they royally fucked up. It's inspired by the events, I don't know how accurate they are but anyone who watches will get mad by how the poor decisions of a few players had consequences that not only changed the US but the world.

And speaking about royally fucking up, the same kind of show or movie will be done eventually about the Russian hacking of the US election, and you'll get madder.

I couldn't get past the first episode.

MILD SPOILERS

I think once his mistress grabbed his cock and said, "Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" and he replied, "You know I don't wear my gun to the office" or something like that, I felt I couldn't justifiably devote any more time to it. I'm getting old.

Am I being picky? I love to be convinced.