What shows are you watching?

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 06, 2017, 04:03:18 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Here's a thread for TV posts that might not call for their own thread.

To begin:

Watched the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale. Everything about this is great. Except for one thing — the music is absolutely catastrophically overbearing. You are not allowed to feel a single feeling without its assistance, and it just DOES NOT STOP. I was really trying to let myself get captured by the show, but the score was actively distracting. It's too bad, because some the performances are incredible. I will probably try another episode and see if it gets better.

polkablues

I'm waiting for the whole season to be out so I can binge it.

I mentioned this one in the shoutbox a bit ago, but for posterity's sake I'm going to re-recommend the Amazon series "Patriot." Imagine a cross between the Coen Brothers and Martin McDonagh making an extremely odd, tone-jumping version of a LeCarre novel. It's also lowkey one of the deepest and strongest portrayals of clinical depression onscreen that I've ever seen.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

They must have blown their music budget on the premiere, because it's sparse and tasteful in episode 2. Complaint withdrawn.

Robyn

I've watched four seasons of prison break in the past couple of weeks. It sucks of course and i love it. 

Garam

Feud. Pulpy kitschy trash. Loved it.

wilder

Recently burned through season 2 of "Big Jay Oakerson's What's Your Fucking Deal?!". The first episode is up on for free

Drenk

I'm not a big fan of the voice over in Handmaid's Tale, it often feels lazy. But it's hard to imagine that show without voice over. I didn't notice the music but I saw the awful Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 recently and its soundtrack made me crazy, so everything else is subtle. I noticed, though, that it tried too hard to make a situation that is already dramatic feels heavier. The tone isn't right yet.
Ascension.

Sleepless

Quote from: KJ on May 07, 2017, 03:19:02 AM
I've watched four seasons of prison break in the past couple of weeks. It sucks of course and i love it.

Recently binged the first season of Legends of Tomorrow which is relevant because it also stars Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell, as well as being pulpy kitschy trash and a lot of fun. S2 is up on Netflix now too but haven't started on it yet as there's quite a bit else on right now. I don't think I'd get into the other CW/DC shows as they seem quite a bit soapy. LOT crosses over with them occasionally, but it's its own fun thing.

Currently binging via  Netflix: The Royle Family. I only watched it rarely back when it was on TV, but it's an easy and amusing watch, and among the humor there are some Terrence Davies-esque moments where the family stop where they're doing and sing. Or music plays over the banal everyday.

Watching week-by-week: Doctor Who, Better Call Saul.

Looking forward to starting soon: Bloodline S3, Twin Peaks.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

RegularKarate

I'm currently the most caught up with current television I have been in probably six or seven years. Binge-watching kind of ruins the fun of television these days.

Watching:

Veep: This season kinda sucks. I know they switch show-runners, but last season didn't feel as bad as this season. It feels like they're trying to go extra mean to make up for the drop in joke-quality and lack of direction.

Silicon Valley: Still funny and fun, but I hope they can bring everyone together soon. It's pretty aimless and the show works best when everyone is on a team.

Handmaid's Tale: This is pretty damn good. I really hope the fighting back happens soon though because boy, it is rough watching such misery.

Better Call Saul, Fargo, and Leftovers: These all have threads.

Jeremy Blackman

Uh oh. I watched iZombie and really liked it. (And I might have fallen for Rose McIver.)

Wish it weren't a police procedural, though. That's pretty lazy.

Fernando

Did anyone watch The Handmaiden's Tale? no? See it and thank me later.

I'm five episodes in and it's really good and brutal, Elizabeth Moss is as usual incredible.

Also cannot help to think some republicans would LOVE to live in that dystopian society.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Fernando on June 26, 2017, 12:52:30 PM
Did anyone watch The Handmaiden's Tale? no? See it and thank me later.

I'm five episodes in and it's really good and brutal, Elizabeth Moss is as usual incredible.

Also cannot help to think some republicans would LOVE to live in that dystopian society.

You made the same mistake that my girlfriend and I make every single time we mention this show. The show is "The Handmaid's Tale" and then there's the movie "The Handmaiden". It's a real "Pretty Little Liars"/"Big Little Lies" situation.

I'm curious what you'll think after watching the entire thing. I loved most of it, but found my enthusiasm fizzled.

diggler

I really enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale. Luke's flashback had a real Children of Men vibe, which the show works as a great companion piece to. Every show should end with Elizabeth Moss walking towards the camera in slow motion.

Currently bingeing GLOW, it's very funny. Marc Maron is perfect casting.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

Watching "Godless" on Netflix. (Just started episode 3.) It's a very solid western with some excellent performances by Jeff Bridges and Scoot McNairy. It's written and directed by Scott Frank, who wrote Logan, Minority Report, and Out of Sight.

A surprise highlight: Merritt Wever, who was weird on The Walking Dead but has a perfect and fully realized role here.

Fernando

Currently watching:

Happy!

Cast: Christopher Meloni, Ritchie Coster, Lili Mirojnick, Patton Oswalt.

Premise: Nick Sax is an alcoholic ex-cop turned hitman who lives his days with drugs and cynicism. After he is shot and left for dead, he is revived while in the care of paramedics and can now see a small, blue, goofy cartoonish winged horse named Happy.

I'm two episodes in and loving it so far, Meloni is pretty good and Patton is perfect as Happy.

It's really violent and over the top, second season has already been ordered.
Patton (understandably) was hyping up the series on his twitter and apparently episode 6 or 7 is insane, sorry but I don't want to look it up to not spoil anything for myself.