Not-so-Classics, classics.

Started by Kev Hoffman, April 25, 2003, 12:07:26 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

2001: A Space Odyssey - Can't be overrated... there's too much to explore in it.  It's overrated when your DVD is so worn down from use that you can't watch it anymore
American Beauty - Overrated simply because it's so accessible.  A fucking beautiful movie.
Clerks - Kevin Smith has released 6 films.  Chasing Amy and this are the only ones worth watching.  I guess it would become overrated after a while.
Monster's Ball - I've never heard anything but bad about this movie... I am yet to see it.

Maybe I missed the basis of what constitutes "overrated" but this list sucks quite a bit.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Where the fuck did this thread come from? This is uncharted xixax territory for me. Hardy har har.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

killafilm

Quote from: Pubrick

Quote from: MyxoFilms which are generally loved/acclaimed but I don't care for..
i'm finding it hard to think of a more hardcore invalidation than that. modage with barry lyndon comes close..

That's because you can't.  You have the best movie about making movies, and the best Ryan O'Neil movie... what's not to like?

Myxo

Quote from: Pubrickthe wizard of oz is NOT the mozart of film, when mozart can be compared to a single popular film in ppl's minds, it becomes automatically overrated, if only as an insult to mozart. that's the point i think they're making.
Oh, I simply meant that it's a classic that never gets old. Poorly stated on my part for sure. In 100 years, (I believe) people will still watch and respect the Wizard of Oz just like we still listen to Mozart. Otherwise you are right. Apples and oranges.

Quote from: MyxoFilms which are generally loved/acclaimed but I don't care for..
Quote from: Pubricki'm finding it hard to think of a more hardcore invalidation than that. modage with barry lyndon comes close..
I've seen 8½ twice as well. I'm not saying it is a bad film but simply (as I stated) that I don't care for it. I might need to give Fellini more of a fair shake. After 8½ I moved right on to Ingmar Bergman and loved Wild Strawberries. Never did watch another Fellini film.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

You can't base a director with as many movies as Fellini has on just one, even it's his most acclaimed film.

Also... Did you not like 8½ as a movie, or did you not like certain aspects of it?

I personally felt it runs a bit long, but the whole thing is pure black and white eye candy and is beautifully formed.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

soixante

It is best to start with La Strada and La Dolce Vita if you're going to get into Fellini.  8 1/2 is a very complex film.  Just like with Bergman, you should start with Wild Strawberries before you get to Persona.
Music is your best entertainment value.

pete

American Beauty--DIE DIE DIE DIE.
Nashville was so great though.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Myxo

Quote from: \W/You can't base a director with as many movies as Fellini has on just one, even it's his most acclaimed film.

Also... Did you not like 8½ as a movie, or did you not like certain aspects of it?

I personally felt it runs a bit long, but the whole thing is pure black and white eye candy and is beautifully formed.
Maybe I was at a place in life where I was unable to really enjoy it. I felt like the movie was constantly trying to get me to read into things. There is a story, but watching it felt like looking at an iceberg. Everything wonderful about it is underneath. It seemed like Fellini was actually trying to hide intent from his viewers so much so that the story takes a back seat.

It is a beautiful black & white film though. Shot very well. I'll agree with that. I need to see it again.

(By the way, the anime series "Evangelion" is a bit like this as well for me. There is soooooo much gnostic stuff and hidden meaning in that series. If you're not paying very close attention and stringing things together about religion and philosophy in your mind, it's just another robot anime series. Sounds like a wierd comparison I know, but anyone who has seen Eva and understands the story will get it.)

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffinThe 20 Most Overrated Movies of All Time?

2001: A Space Odyssey
A Beautiful Mind
American Beauty
An American In Paris
Chariots Of Fire
Clerks
Chicago
Easy Rider
Fantasia
Field Of Dreams
Forrest Gump
Gone With The Wind
Good Will Hunting
Monster's Ball
Jules And Jim
Moonstruck
Mystic River
Nashville
The Wizard Of Oz
The Red Shoes

hahaha......i use to get a subscription to premier mag...now, i glad i quit a while back..those guys are idiots.....

2001 is cool
a beautiful mind is typical cheese ron howard
i love american baeuty for its score, cinematography, hilarity, and thoras tits..
aamerican in paris is ghey
i havent seen chariots..
clerks  shouldnt even be considered overrated/underrrated or whatever..its just a sillly movie..thats all
chicago sucks ass/balls/cocks
easy rider is underrated if anything...
fantasis is ghey
field of dreams made me cry
forrest gump is cheese.and dated as a motherfucker..[seriously, who would ever watch this agian/now?]
never seen gone with the wind
good will hunting is "okay"...good music
monsters ball has that overrated thug halle berry
i havent seen jules and jimmy
moonstruck is just a stupid movie even to put on that list, i don tknow anyone that even likes the film to begin with.........
i love mystic river
i havent seen nashville
the wizard of oz makes me tired now
the red shoes just sucks....

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURYmoonstruck is just a stupid movie even to put on that list, i don tknow anyone that even likes the film to begin with.........

Now you do.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: NEON MERCURYmoonstruck is just a stupid movie even to put on that list, i don tknow anyone that even likes the film to begin with.........

Now you do.

:oops:  no offense mac...you know i love ya......

Ravi

Never cared for The Wizard of Oz, not even as a kid.  I remember seeing it a few times, but its not a favorite of mine like it is for many people.

pete

I went out with a girl a few weeks ago and we just like wandered around the city for 10 hours--our last stop was sitting on a park bench while the wizard of oz played and she just laughed at it for a long time.  some people really really don't like this movie.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

72teeth

Ever watch it with Floyd and on weeed?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Garam

Garden State, The Godfather films, The Hitcher, Blue Velvet, Gladiator, The Usual Suspects, Titanic, Schindlers List and ..... ohh.....Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.