XIXAX Film Forum

misc book thread

jenkins · 122 · 30540

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #120 on: April 28, 2021, 03:41:53 PM

situations have developed such that this book is in my hands now. or rather it is in my hands when I am not typing this. I was, admittedly, worried when going into it that it would decrease my appreciation for the author. because I am such a fan of the documentary. but reading this is paying off because of her interest in narrative mechanics. she is aware of what a story needs to feel alive, and thus reading this reminds me too

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #121 on: May 04, 2021, 08:03:32 PM

situations have developed such that this book is in my hands now. or rather it is in my hands when I am not typing this. I was, admittedly, worried when going into it that it would decrease my appreciation for the author. because I am such a fan of the documentary. but reading this is paying off because of her interest in narrative mechanics. she is aware of what a story needs to feel alive, and thus reading this reminds me too

it is in its own way a manifestation of the flight forward writing style, in which the emerging reality of a narrative is dictated by the terms of the writer. reality is up to the writer. flight forward is Aira's term for this but the book doesn't mimic the writing style of Aira, so all I can say for sure is it keeps you on its toes and is fun to read

I rewatched the similarly titled documentary and it held up nicely