serious fanalysis of The Master so far (CANON ONLY.. no script/spoiler talk)

Started by Pubrick, June 19, 2012, 11:45:20 PM

hc

Hello, first time posting here. sorry if this has been pointed out already but i noticed this link between the new trailer and the passenger, in the line 'what are you running from'-  - thought it was kind of interesting,

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: stream on July 28, 2012, 06:49:40 AM
Hello, first time posting here. sorry if this has been pointed out already but i noticed this link between the new trailer and the passenger, in the line 'what are you running from'-  - thought it was kind of interesting,

Yes... We've already talked about these references. Also that overhead shot of Phoenix on the boat putting his hands out over the water, is a reference to "The Passenger".

The shots of them riding bikes in the desert are straight outta the Opening scene of "Melvin and Howard", the "interview scene" in THE FIRST TRAILER reminds me of the interview scene of JACK NICHOLSON (Again) in "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" and those shots at the beach with the Machete, are like a Mix Between I AM CUBA and A THIN RED LINE.

The shot of JP and Hoffman framed between the cell Bars is from "Silence of the Lambs" (again, Jonathan Demme) , The shot of Joaquin with his face against the window reminds me of "The Double Life of Veronique" and that shot of him with the revolver seems like a mix between Martin Sheen in Apocalypse now, deniro in Taxi driver and Johnny Depp in "Fear and Loathing in las vegas".

SIGHS... Finally got that out of my system.... feels good. 

DISCLAIMER: It is no secret that PTA gets inspired by other movies to make his own. Most of the Greatest filmmakers do this (I'm looking at you Tarantino and Scorsese!) , Yet he still has the most original and unique voice in American Cinema at the moment. And that's why he's The Best.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

malkovich

Quotethe "interview scene" in THE FIRST TRAILER reminds me of the interview scene of JACK NICHOLSON (Again) in "One flew over the cuckoo's nest"

Wasn't the general consensus that it recalled The Shining?

especially with the blown out sunlight in the windows and all.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: malkovich on July 28, 2012, 12:17:18 PM
Quotethe "interview scene" in THE FIRST TRAILER reminds me of the interview scene of JACK NICHOLSON (Again) in "One flew over the cuckoo's nest"

Wasn't the general consensus that it recalled The Shining?

especially with the blown out sunlight in the windows and all.

VISUALLY, YES.

But now go watch "One flew over the cuckoo's nest". The way Jack Nicholson answers the questions in a manner that suggests that he's not being serious at all. Like it's a game for him or something. Just go watch it and you'll see how similar it is to Phoenix's interview.

I mean, just look at this:

InTylerWeTrust

BONUS:

MELVIN AND HOWARD:

Warren Beatty in "REDS"... 

^ Who's winning that race?... I got my money on Joaquin.

P Heat

Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

HeywoodRFloyd

Hi guys!
I'm new here, there are some fantastic posts and observations, so glad I discovered XIXAX!

I have a few observations of my own, and for the sake of cinematic discourse, I'll post them here

First of all the aforementioned scene:

I have watched it over and over, and it seems the big guy is a patron trying to get his picture taken, but has become restless, presumably because Joaquin Phoenix's character has had him sitting there, for a long time to take a simple picture.
Then Joaquin Phoenix says 'You must understand, I want to get the lighting right!', and starts to "fix" the gentlemans tie for the "photo", where the man responds only when he realises Joaquin is actually trying to strangle him rather than fix his tie.

I've seen some great visual comparisons, especially with Melvin & Howard, which I haven't seen before, Kudos! will definitely check that out.

I have some small comparisons as well.

First of all, this shot:

a slow creeping tracking shot when The Master is typing

brings to mind another slow creeping tracking shot in The Shining, when Jack Torrance is typing (time 00:00 - 00:14)

Also, i don't know if this has been mentioned already, however :
These 2 shots from the 1st Teaser (Top)
closely resemble the lighting from 2001: A Space Odyssey when David Bowman is on his personal mission of disembling HAL. (Middle)
Also the shot placement, brings to mind Kubrick's previous film Dr. Strangelove, and the missiles in the planes fuselage (Bottom)
Even though the shot from The Master teaser is most presumably on a Ship or a Submarine.

Hopefully I brought something new to the forum, I look forward to discussing The Master and the work of PTA (My favorite contemperary filmmaker) also the work of Kubrick (My favorite filmmaker) and much more on the site!

Reel

squints

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 02, 2012, 03:21:29 PM
Because just like Howard Hughes, L. Ron Hubbard liked the dessert... He spent sometime (Again, just like Hughes) riding bikes in the desert.

"I like the dessert, is clean" - Howard Hughes.

"I like the dessert, is delicious." - Squints.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

InTylerWeTrust

Brando

I really don't like that poster.  It makes no sense. I don't understand this design at all.  If you had that portrait of the three take up the whole poster with the colors and look of the 50s like we've seen in the trailers, then that would have been a beautiful poster.  The boring blue with no kind of shading or texture with a repeating image doesn't come across as a professional poster. I think it's worse than that Tree of Life poster with Brad Pitt skipping rocks on the pond.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

ono

It's like a kaleidoscope.  I really like it.  Goes to the perceptions of how people see things and blah blah blah.  It's the same, but it's different each time, too.  And more blah blah blah.

Brando

I don't mind the kaleidoscope. It's the boring blue that I hate. The cinematography is fantastic in the trailers. Why wouldn't you try to imitate that? Or why would you saturate the image with blue?
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Brando on August 06, 2012, 05:51:09 PM
Or why would you saturate the image with blue?

Seeing as PTA usually has complete control over promotional material, this is a question that's exciting to actually try to answer, instead of presuming there's no particular reason.

So, I dunno, something to do with the sea motif that'll obviously soak up the film? The poster seems to wave. The kaleidoscope also brings my thoughts to drunken vision.

Brando

Quote from: Just Withnail on August 06, 2012, 06:05:50 PM
Quote from: Brando on August 06, 2012, 05:51:09 PM
Or why would you saturate the image with blue?

Seeing as PTA usually has complete control over promotional material, this is a question that's exciting to actually try to answer, instead of presuming there's no particular reason.

So, I dunno, something to do with the sea motif that'll obviously soak up the film? The poster seems to wave. The kaleidoscope also brings my thoughts to drunken vision.

I'm sure there is a concept behind the design which PTA would be apart of. I'm not talking about the concept. I'm talking about the execution. A poster design can have a brilliant concept behind it but if the execution is horrible then the design is horrible. I find the execution simple and not professional.