Community / Parks and Recreation

Started by diggler, April 15, 2011, 04:20:04 PM

cine

Quote from: Pubrick on October 19, 2011, 12:17:12 AM
Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on October 18, 2011, 11:27:36 PM
No surprise for Xixax to hate on this show

haha xixax doesn't hate Community. xixax is just being misrepresented by ono when he says that Parks and Rec is "SO GOOD". it is not.

also, things will be misrepresented when two completely different shows share the same thread for no apparent reason.

future thread ideas:

conan / arsenio

Magnolia / Wedding Crashers

anything good / Parks and Recreation

hi/bye again.

diggler

This text conversation was the origin of the multiple timelines episode:

http://twitpic.com/70szy5

I enjoy Parks and Rec a lot, it reminds me of early Simpsons. They built a town and are slowly populating it with cartoonish yet likeable characters. They even have their own Shelbyville with Eagleton, and Dan Castellenata made a hilarious one scene cameo as a radio host. It started off as a riff on the office but I think it's become a much stronger show and developed their characters to be more likeable. Community is more ambitious and memorable but I just laugh more at Parks and Rec.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

pete

really? what about annie moving in?
I liked the concept, but I thought that episode was very, and I'm using this in the correct context, "skit like." Brita about to sing and getting cut off by Jeff and then saying bathroom right after - really stale and awkward interaction, all over the episode. the set ups should be better.

but I liked it.
I like the show.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Tictacbk on October 18, 2011, 11:52:46 PM
I agree with your opinion on Community.

I do not agree with your opinion of Xixax.

Everyone should be watching both Parks&Rec and Community.

I've been on Xixax for over 5 years now and as soon as I became a fan of Community I looked up it's thread.  Then when I asked why they had to share a thread the common response was that they are both mediocre shows.  In fact, a couple pages ago a poster mentioned Community followed by this: *shudder*

for those of us who support both shows, GREAT.  and for those of us who Like one show and Dislike the other, it seems odd to keep them together.  I suppose it's been long enough with them in the same thread and the admins don't see any point in changing that, but it's kind of unfair for those of us with differing opinions on the shows.

Just to say, my opinion does not cover all of Xixax, yet it does bring to light the common responses associated when I brought up Community here within the last year.

I personally just got hooked to Parks & Recreation, so I'm not supporting one over the other.

O.

I love Parks & Rec as well as Community. It's light-hearted, entertaining fun for when I'm not looking for something doused in tension and drama and just looking for chuckles. Those who would rather spout their 'entertainment choice superiority,' I would feel are taking everything too seriously and as a result end up losing more than gaining.
superb

tpfkabi

I don't care, just please don't put "/Whitney."
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

So, basically, Community got bumped from the mid-season and its fans (myself definitely included) are concerned over nothing less than it's cancellation.  Lots of people are using Arrested Development as a compass point for this development. 2.5 Seasons, then they shift it around, then it's gone?

(ok, minus the fantastic news about that series' return)

We all got a bit overzealous, but as Dan Harmon said on his Twitter: "Don't worry.  Just enjoy {the show}."

So the rallying cry of "SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!" actually translates to FOUR SEASONS, that's all that fans want of the show at the least.  A logical ending to the idea of a "4 years at college".  Like the show or not, I hope this show can go and end right there.  We don't need 8 seasons of "The Office".  I enjoy "Parks & Rec" and see maybe 1 or 2 more seasons in it.

Then, after the 4th season wraps, maybe "Heat Vision and Jack" will come back.
*crosses fingers*

polkablues

http://www.avclub.com/articles/ratings-roundup-five-reasons-community-could-see-s,65685/

Really good AV Club article about why Community is still more likely than not to get at least a fourth season.  Maybe I'm just hearing what I want to hear, but it seems like there are some good points.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

Community's high concept episodes are just turning into parodies. simpsons kept it classy and only did one or two a year. Every other community episode is a parody, and the show is just not set up to do that.

other news - did everyone catch Omar's Wire reference on tonight's episode?
- Buster Keaton

Sleepless

I don't actually watch Community, but last night I watched the A Day In The Life episode featuring Joel McHale. Most of it is obviously on the set of Community. (FYI, if you like ADITL I highly recommend both the Tim Ferriss and Richard Branson eps).
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

RegularKarate

Quote from: pete on April 27, 2012, 04:07:36 AM
Community's high concept episodes are just turning into parodies. simpsons kept it classy and only did one or two a year. Every other community episode is a parody, and the show is just not set up to do that.

I am starting to agree.  I think that because people abandoned Community because it felt too cartoonish, they may have felt that they really had to push the cartoonishness and there has been WAY too much parody stuff.  It's as if News Radio were to do a parody episode every episode instead of once per season (making them much more entertaining).

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: pete on April 27, 2012, 04:07:36 AM

This season they've done a fraction of concept eps (depends on your opinion of the concept episode).  The most obvious send-ups they did were "Law & Order" and one that was Ken Burns' Civil War documentary.  They did a "Glee" Episode and one wherein they repeated the same sequence with different results.  They also did one where Abed and Annie pretend in their Dreamatorium which kind of goes into a few spoof-ish ideas.

Sure, they have the little excursions into parody, like where Jeff & Shirley get mad over playing foosball and temporarily become Anime, but otherwise this has been a pretty straightforward season.  And each of those send-up episodes ties into character and, in some cases, plot advancement.

So as much as I've heard people are turned off by "every other episode being a parody", I'd like to point out that I've referenced 5 episodes out of a 24-episode season, which is a little more than 1/5 of the run this year.
I'm not saying you have to LIKE the show, but you need to be able to back up your arguments in a more specific manner IMO.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

hey!

Parks & Rec season 4 is over. What did everyone think?

pete

I don't need to back shit up nyah. but I will and I will blow off work for a few minutes because this is the board and I'm a committed man.
first of all - five high concept episodes out of a season is a lot. season one had that paintball one. the simpsons had maybe one per season when they were good as well.

they have the alternate reality one, a noir one, the horror parodies, mockumentary about the dean's ad, the civil war one, the law and order one, and last week just did a parody of flashback episodes that sitcoms used to do. and it wasn't out of twenty five episodes, it was out of 19 that have aired so far. 7 out of 19, that's almost half. that's my back up you faggot baby cunt, now stop being so condescending so I can go back to work, you stupid stupid jew.

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on May 14, 2012, 09:31:29 AM
This season they've done a fraction of concept eps (depends on your opinion of the concept episode).  The most obvious send-ups they did were "Law & Order" and one that was Ken Burns' Civil War documentary.  They did a "Glee" Episode and one wherein they repeated the same sequence with different results.  They also did one where Abed and Annie pretend in their Dreamatorium which kind of goes into a few spoof-ish ideas.

Sure, they have the little excursions into parody, like where Jeff & Shirley get mad over playing foosball and temporarily become Anime, but otherwise this has been a pretty straightforward season.  And each of those send-up episodes ties into character and, in some cases, plot advancement.

So as much as I've heard people are turned off by "every other episode being a parody", I'd like to point out that I've referenced 5 episodes out of a 24-episode season, which is a little more than 1/5 of the run this year.
I'm not saying you have to LIKE the show, but you need to be able to back up your arguments in a more specific manner IMO.
- Buster Keaton

ono

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on May 14, 2012, 09:32:25 AM
hey!

Parks & Rec season 4 is over. What did everyone think?
I loved it.  It's amazing how the show has created this whole history behind this town and this people to make it feel like a real place.  These people live here, and have traditions, and inside jokes, and lifes, and loves.  It's all so very real, and genuine, and heartwarming, and most importantly, humorous in a way that makes people feel good.  It's such a happy show.  Each character brings their own brand of happiness to the mix, their own thing that they can do to color the world they live in.  And they all love Leslie and came together to support her and help her achieve her goal.  Seeing Donna hug and comfort April after she was worried she lost some important files, and then having Donna bring Andy in for the hug too just underlined how fleshed out these characters are.  When even Donna, such an underused minor character can help to cement these characters personalities and relationships, it's something special.  It goes double for the episode a few weeks prior where she teared up at Andy's reenactments of different movies.