Bored to Death (HBO)

Started by Neil, November 07, 2009, 01:32:56 PM

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Stefen

I watched the first episode when it came out and thought it was pretty stupid. Great people involved, but it just didn't come together.

Does it get better in the other episodes?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

i gave it six chances. i've come to the conclusion it does indeed suck despite the talent involved and the odd good moment. the humour is the bad kind of idiosyncratic, where it's annoying how little the things being said matter. like someone will go "i've always been allergic to cough drops ever since my mother force fed them to me as a child. i think i was traumatized." in the middle of a conversation about how the other character has a cough because he ate a scratchy bagel last night. you just want to punch it for even remotely believing it's clever.

modage

I agree, with the talent involved and because I subscribe to HBO I feel obligated to stick with this show but it seems always on the verge of being good without ever getting there.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reinhold

Quote from: Stefen on November 07, 2009, 02:00:26 PM
I watched the first episode when it came out and thought it was pretty stupid. Great people involved, but it just didn't come together.

Does it get better in the other episodes?

right on. the hotel bit was amusing but overall this whole thing isn't good. bummer.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

diggler

wow really? i love this show and think it's been getting better with each episode. i want a bicycle riding room like jim jarmusch.

for me, the humor is the BEST kind of idiosyncratic.  since when does meaning have to matter in a comedy show?  do i try to dissect why it's funny when devito cuts a man's neck with a garbage can on "always sunny"? no, because it makes me laugh, and the more i dissect it the less funny it gets. this show strikes just the right tone of snobbish dry humor and low brow physical comedy. also, Danson and Galifinakas have never made me laugh this hard, and those who thought Galifinakas had taken the sellout route with the Hangover would be pleasantly surprised at how he underplays it here. i hate getting into defense mode with television because if it doesn't work for you there's nothing i can say to change your mind, but this show is worth watching.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

picolas

Quote from: ddiggler on November 07, 2009, 09:50:28 PMsince when does meaning have to matter in a comedy show?
..wha? ..i guess that depends on what you mean by "meaning". if by meaning you mean meaning things: things don't mean anything without meaning.

Quote from: ddiggler on November 07, 2009, 09:50:28 PMdo i try to dissect why it's funny when devito cuts a man's neck with a garbage can on "always sunny"? no, because it makes me laugh, and the more i dissect it the less funny it gets.
i didn't dissect anything. i gave a vague example of the kind of humour this show has. not that there's anything wrong with dissecting.

diggler

i guess it was a pretty vague defense, the show is funny though and does get better as the season goes on.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pas

OrHowILearnedTo

It got slightly better as the season wore on. Ted Danson is great. Jason Schwartman, not so much.

The Perineum Falcon

This is one of those shows that I believe has SUCH potential, potential that won't reveal itself til the second or third season (like the American Office) when everyone involved becomes more comfortable with themselves, the story and the characters and THEN AND ONLY THEN will watching this each week not feel like a rip-off - especially when it follows CURB.

I've watched it mainly because my girlfriend loves it, and while there are parts of it that are mildly amusing, most of it has absolutely nothing to do with anything and the episodes always just STOP instead of having any real conclusion.

Again, I see potential here, and I'm glad it's been picked up for a new season. *fingers crossed*
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.