TOP 10 2008

Started by samsong, January 04, 2009, 12:13:42 AM

modage

1. THE DARK KNIGHT
Impossibly lived up to my expectations. A relentlessly suspenseful, incredibly dark, complex drama where all the pieces fall into place. The acting is great all around, the action sequences are thrilling and the story is constantly surprising. The worst part about watching the film is knowing there will never be another Batman film as good as this one.

2. RACHEL GETTING MARRIED
Completely unexpected nearly perfect little movie.  The script, the direction, the acting all work together perfectly to hit just the right notes. You spend the first half of the film trying to put together who's who as the story unfolds naturally. The film is unpredictable and steers away from cliche while revealing more about the characters. This was a really nice surprise.

3. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
This is a horror film that puts its characters first and is unlike any I've ever seen. It deftly handles switching between horror, dark comedy, and coming of age film. The horror scenes are scary and stylish and doesn't shy away from gore. The cinematography and score are beautiful and I can't imagine finding better child actors.  You will hold your breath during the climax.

4. AMERICAN TEEN
Underrated, engrossing, entertaining documentary.  It was fascinating watching these kids facing the pressures of high school and seeing the drama in their lives. The animated interludes were unnecessary but there were enough genuinely affecting moments to make the film a great experience.   Makes me remember how glad I am to have survived high school.

5. WALL·E
A surprisingly dark film from Pixar whose dark view of the future I was not prepared for.  Still, it's a brave film and the genuinely emotional moments work like a charm.

6. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
A mix of City of God and Danny Boyle's own film Millions, this is the feel good/bad/good film of the year! Though some of the scenes veer into melodrama and the premise itself is fairly preposterous the film itself is charming. The youngest actor playing Jamal was so cute I wanted the whole film to be about him!

7. THE WRESTLER
While the story is familiar, the way it is told makes it worthwhile. Mickey Rourke really makes feel for his character as much of the film is shot from behind him you really experience things from his perspective. A complete reinvention for filmmaker Darren Aronofsky, he elevates this material with some of his more personal touches.

8. CLOVERFIELD
Knowing so little about this film going in made for one of the most effective theatrical experiences of the year.  Though the scariest part of the film is what happens before you actually see the monster the 9/11 imagery is still frightening.

9. REVOLUTIONARY ROAD
Not the film I wanted it to be, it takes a sometimes comical look at early 60's suburban angst.  The trailers sparse heavy dialogue set to the music of Cat Power & Nina Simone evoked such an emotional response I was disappointed not to find that in the film.

10. PINEAPPLE EXPRESS
Though it was uneven it was still one of the most entertaining films of the year.  Franco and McBride give hilarious performances and the final scene almost makes the whole thing worth it.

NOTABLE: The Foot Fist Way, Frost/Nixon, Milk, Synecdoche NY, The Fall, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Che, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Waltz With Bashir, Religulous
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

1) WALL•E

2) Slumdog Millionaire

3) The Dark Knight

4) The Wrestler

5) Milk

6) Revolutionary Road

7) The Curious Case of Bejamin Button

8) Iron Man

9) Pineapple Express

10) The Visitor

11) Los Paranoicos :)

SiliasRuby

Quote from: modage on January 31, 2009, 10:30:21 AM

9. REVOLUTIONARY ROAD
Not the film I wanted it to be, it takes a sometimes comical look at early 60's suburban angst.  The trailers sparse heavy dialogue set to the music of Cat Power & Nina Simone evoked such an emotional response I was disappointed not to find that in the film.
Not to tell you you're wrong but the film was set in 1955.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gamblour.

1. Revolutionary Road - What a powerful film. Maybe it's because I'm young, recently married, and thinking about my own future that this film was so painful for me. Kate cements herself as possibly the best actress working, and Leo finally gets a role that impressed me. I mean, he's coming off the screen at certain points, it's incredible to watch. Sam Mendes has crafted some transcendent cinema.

2. The Wrestler - This is Darren Aronofsky. There's been plenty said about how this film is a complete change of pace for him, and I think it's wonderful to see that behind all of his incredible ambition, he's got that passion and talent for, yes, a wrestling movie. I mean, what seemed at first like a joke (going from The Fountain to a wrestling picture), now he's gotten his actor nominated and he's even fighting to get wrestlers SAG protection. I love how small, bare, and unpretentious this film is.

3. Tropic Thunder - I never ever would've thought that such a big summer comedy would make it on here, but I was really surprised. Not only is it hilarious, but it's a good film too! Robert Downey Jr. is a fucking genius, despite his idiotic opinions about Iron Man and The Dark Knight, but whatever. It's such a wonderful satire, this movie was the stupid kind of funny without being stupid.

4. The Dark Knight - Duh, this was just awesome.

5. Pineapple Express - Much like Tropic Thunder, this was another comedy that I didn't think I would love so much. It's a stoner comedy without being stupid. Another film in which a director, David Gordon Green, applies his talent to something completely different, and pulls it off wonderfully. The escalating absurd action here is done so well.

6. Let the Right One In - Best vampire movie ever. It's scary and brutal and raw, which are all magnified by a billion because it's about children.

7. Speed Racer - Yeah, that's right. This movie was so much fun and visually amazing. The critics just jumped on the bandwagon. The Wachowskis really innovate here with really cool fight scenes and badass races.

8. Doubt- Yeah, this was good too. The acting's great, I'm not crazy about it. But it was good. If it were a better year, this probably wouldn't be here.

9. Synecdoche, NY - I've thought about this film a lot since seeing it, but I still think it was a bit of a miss for Kaufman as far as directing goes. The ideas behind the film are compelling, and it's really funny in spots.

10. Loaded Guns: The Movie - I'm with Kal, I made a movie, and so I get to put it on here. My movie was way funnier than a lot of other bullshit from this year, and impossibly more interesting than Benjamin Button.
WWPTAD?

Stefen

The XIXAX awards this year are going to be VERY interesting. Everyone's lists are all over the place.

I can't wait. It's going to be awesome.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

Quote from: Stefen on February 11, 2009, 01:54:25 PM
The XIXAX awards this year are going to be VERY interesting. Everyone's lists are all over the place.

I can't wait. It's going to be awesome.

True. Much better than last years obvious awards.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

It's too bad Fear(s) of the Dark will inevitably lose to Wall-E, but what can you do?

I certainly hope and trust that at least our nominations won't be as much of a travesty as the actual Oscars, even if there is a Xixax patented sweep in every category to an undeserving movie.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

I'll be campaigning for Let The Right One in for best film. I'm gonna spam the fuck out of most of your inboxes.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

1. Tropic Thunder-A actually funny spoof that wasn't as sharp as I'd like it to be, it was still extremely worth it to see over and over again, thanks to Stiller, Downey Jr and Cruise
2. Synedouche, New York-A Piece of art that discusses death and the ideas behind them
3. Quarantine-One of the scariest films I've ever seen in a long time and while it was shot in the same way and had the same ideas as 'cloverfield'-the technique here really makes the film much freakier and horrifying than the New York monster movie.
3. Religulous-A humorous documentary finally standing up to us agnostics and atheists.
4. The Dark Knight-BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER
5. WALL-E-A poetic melody of love
6. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button-David Fincher Does Forrest Gump. A Sweet Story that had it all.
7. The Wrestler-Mickey is back baby and in a story that while extremely familar made me cry
8. Let The Right One In-The Better Vampire Movie that came out this year
9. Rachel Getting Married-A realistic portrait of a junkie
10. Forgetting Sarah Marshall-One of the Romantic Comedies that actually touched me deeply
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

Sleepless

Other favorites:
Under The Same Moon, Frost/Nixon, Crawford, Happy-Go-Lucky.

Still would like to see:
Frozen River, Rachel Getting Married, Religulous, Local Color, A Thousand Years Of Good Prayers, Miracle At St. Anna, Good, The Wrestler.

Edit: Oh, and Che!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Nice call, Sleepless.  I totally forgot that the Orphanage's wide release date was in January of 2008. 
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

limited in 07.  disqualified!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

Really?! C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bump them all up then, and put this in #10:

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Sleepless on March 05, 2009, 01:05:10 PM
Really?! C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bump them all up then, and put this in #10:

List the Orphanage in 2008 if you want to. Some critics do top ten lists based on when the movie in question got to their respective city. They ignore general release date in order to pick films that their readers knew was released in such and such year. To honor this, they even mix in some theatrical re-releases too, but only if it played in their city. I hate that some people think top ten lists should be a rock solid art. It's stupid in concept so it should be done to how it best suits you.

I live in the middle of nowhere, literally over 5 hours away from a decent city. I don't get the chance to see a lot of films mentioned until video release so I have no interest to follow the norm anyways.

Besides, Dr. Strangelove got a limited release in 1963 but is credited for 1964 because that is when it went wide. It even went on to qualify for the '64 Oscars.