Best Cinematography

Started by Pedro, April 05, 2003, 01:28:30 AM

Cecil

oh, raoul coutard as well

Ravi

Pretty much anything shot by Gregg Toland is beautiful.

cowboykurtis

i would have to agree that barry lyndon is the most georgously photographed film.
...your excuses are your own...

cowboykurtis

also anything by vittorio stararo -- especially LAST TANGO IN PARIS

snaporaz

2001: a space odyssey.

is natural born killers an immature choice? i love richardson.

Cecil

Quote from: snaporazis natural born killers an immature choice?

absolutely not. richardson is a genius

©brad

Quote from: budgieColour: Imitation of Life. Texturally beautiful.
B&W: The Man Who Wasn't There.

But Kurosawa overall.

yes yes. also add All That Heaven Allows for Sirk, and O Brother for Coens/Roger Deakins.

Soderbergh seems to get better with every picture he does. Big fan of Richardson too, torn between Nixon, JFK and U-Turn.

Quote from: MacGuffin
Hated the over-done doc hand-held style on "Husbands And Wives" - way too distracting.

agreed. I think the only scene when the handheld really worked well was when Sydney Pollack and his wife are fighting outside in the car.
I was most recently impressed with Hollywood Ending's cinematography, especially that amazing shot of New York at the end.

The Silver Bullet

Lawrence Of Arabia
Apocalypse Now
Amelie
Fargo
Citizen Kane
The Thin Red Line
GoodFellas
Raging Bull
Bringing Out The Dead
The Bridge On The River Kwai
Pulp Fiction
Being John Malkovich
Schindler's List
Minority Report
American Beauty
Magnolia
Boogie Nights
Dancer In The Dark
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

cowboykurtis

i think stararo's work in DICK TRACY is wonderful -- i love that movie.

SHAFTR

Boogie Nights
Citizen Kane
The Grand Illusion
Do the Right Thing
Road to Perdition

I really enjoyed the Cinematography of Good Will Hunting, I doubt many would agree.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Jeremy Blackman

Matthew Libatique - Requiem, Pi, Josie and the Pussycats

how is Tigerland?

Ghostboy

Quote from: SHAFTR

I really enjoyed the Cinematography of Good Will Hunting, I doubt many would agree.

The guy who shot that, Jean Yves Escoffier, is one of my favorite DPs. He also shot Gummo, Cradle Will Rock, The Crow 2, and most of Neil LaBute's stuff. He has a tendency to use sodium lights to get that smoky golden look, which I lovvve.

soixante

Barry Lyndon's cinematography revolutionized the industry.  Kubrick used special lenses to photograph scenes in candlelight.  The film really transported the viewer back to the 18th century, because the lighting didn't seem fake, like in other period pieces.  The influence of Barry Lyndon's look was seen in The Duellists and Days of Heaven.

Days of Heaven is probably 2nd to Barry Lyndon, and made wonderful use of "golden hour" light.  But since Barry Lyndon came first, it gets the prize.

Manhattan features some of the best black and white cinematography of the past 30 years.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Ravi

Quote from: cowboykurtisi think stararo's work in DICK TRACY is wonderful -- i love that movie.

Too bad Storaro and Coppola insisted on having the 'scope films Apocalypse Now and Tucker cropped to around 2:1!  :x

Pedro

Quote from: soixante

Manhattan features some of the best black and white cinematography of the past 30 years.

Agreed.