Best Cinematography

Started by Pedro, April 05, 2003, 01:28:30 AM

Pedro

So...what movie do you think has the best cinematography...try and narrow it down to one, but if you can't make up your mind, I'm all for hearing a few.  

My Pick
Days of Heaven

It is hands down the most beautifully shot movie I have ever seen.

Overrated

Atanarjuat
I think snow like that is ugly, but considering it was shot on DV...

cine

Ghostboy

Aw man, this is an almost impossible topic. There's too much to choose from. Can I just pick the documentary Visions Of Light or is that cheating?

phil marlowe

tough topic indeed, but lately i was struk by the beauty of o brother! where art thou? and the elephant man.

all spielberg films are brilliant too.

Sigur Rós

All films by The Coen Brothers have great  cinematography...which leads us back to Barry Sonnenfeld......Spike  :-D

MacGuffin

B&W: "Citizen Kane"

Color: "Doctor Zhivago" and "Lawrence Of Arabia" - not cheating since Freddie Young shot both films.

Hated the over-done doc hand-held style on "Husbands And Wives" - way too distracting.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Barry Lyndon. nothing has ever looked better or ever can. bl.
under the paving stones.

life_boy

Quote from: PBarry Lyndon. nothing has ever looked better or ever can. bl.

Beat me to it.

budgie

Colour: Imitation of Life. Texturally beautiful.
B&W: The Man Who Wasn't There.

But Kurosawa overall, and I can't choose really. Lawrence of Arabia gets me every time and it is only because of the cinematography. I start out not really wanting to watch it and end up doing so.

aurora

I reckon

Days Of Heaven

and

The Thin Red Line

Cecil

i cant possibly choose only one. or just a few.

Duck Sauce

Pedro

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi cant possibly choose only one. or just a few.

Then choose a bunch.

Cecil

i really like ed lauchman, robert richardson, robby muller...

oh, and john waters

Derek

I love Dante Spinotti's work in L.A. Confidential.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.