The Directors Label DVDs

Started by KingBlackDeath, November 02, 2003, 07:00:11 PM

meatball

Why doesn't anybody think the Chris Cunningham DVD is worth getting? My local video store doesn't even stock them.. is he a stinker or what?  :?

meatball

Michel Gondry kicked my ass. Love his work. Can't wait for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Rudie Obias

i bought all 3 and i love them.  i wonder if they're gonna make anymore of these great dvds?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Pubrick

Quote from: meatballWhy doesn't anybody think the Chris Cunningham DVD is worth getting? My local video store doesn't even stock them.. is he a stinker or what?  :?
HE IS THE BEST OF THEM ALL.
under the paving stones.

meatball

Well, so far the Michel Gondry's my favorite, with Spike coming in second. I'll check out the Chris Cunningham.

analogzombie

what i think is great about this series is that the 3 directors chosen all have very uniques and individual style. and the set works together to show the differences between each director. it's like there is a DVD for everyone's personality. personally I am a Michel Gondry type. I like Cunningham, but I think a lot of people view his work as overtly dark, and perhaps more polarizing because of this. Spike Jonze is a crzy cat, but in my opinion a bit pretentious. the whole 'messing with interviewers' thing, wile fun and cute, is a damm bit annoying b/c he rarely offers insight into his work. Plus, at least for me, knowing he is the heir to the Spiegel Catalog fortune and that he is married into Hollywood royalty inbues his work and connections with less validity. As weird as it sounds. It's like the band Phantom Planet, or Roman and Sophia Coppola's films. While they are great filmmakers and artists, they wouldn't be anything without papa Francis footing the development money.

Plus Spike's best work, IMHO, has been with the Beasties and I already have their Criterion DVD.

At any rate, they all look awesome, but it's kind of like an ice cream shop to me. You may like all the flavors, but one is your favorite.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

tpfkabi

yes, Gondry directed Knives Out....i love that video

apparently there is a Radiohead DVD in the works for 2004......rumored to have some live stuff and the Radiohead TV episodes from their websites.......andi think possibly all the videos since 7 TV Commercials.......here's hoping!!!!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: SHAFTRI wasn't going to get the Spike Jonze disc until I saw he did the "What's Up FatLip" video.

I didn't know he did it either and I was excited to see it. And all those Beastie Boys videos.  Mmm.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Rudie Obias

Quote from: SHAFTRI wasn't going to get the Spike Jonze disc until I saw he did the "What's Up FatLip" video.

that is my favorite video on the spike jonze collection!  viva la fatlip!!  i love the documentary too!

Quote from: analogzombieat least for me, knowing he is the heir to the Spiegel Catalog fortune and that he is married into Hollywood royalty inbues his work and connections with less validity. As weird as it sounds.

you can't help which family you're born into or who you fall in love with.  i really don't see how this makes his work or his skills as a director less valid.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Pubrick

chris cunningham has his own thread, u know.

this is gonna be sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. i seen that clip of the dude spazzing with the shrieks and spine tingling buzzes before when they used it to advertise Drukqs.. apparently that's cc himself in that clip.

but do u realise how sickkkkk Ranx/Happy Birthday Lubna is gonna be? and here i was, foolishly thinking there was nothing left to live for. *dreamy sigh*
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

Yeah, I've seen all 3. The reason people seem to be disappointed with the Cunningham disk is that it has the least amount of work on it. I already knew most of Jonze's work. I think the Gondry disk is the real prize. He has an amazing sense of breaking music down to visual fractions.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pubrick

Quote from: mutinycoI think the Gondry disk is the real prize. He has an amazing sense of breaking music down to visual fractions.
yes he's almost literal about it. the best thing he does is create mazes that the viewer must work through, (let forever be, star guitar, bachelorette) so in that sense he engages u deeply in a game.  his work is brilliant, but i prefer what cunningham does in really owning the sound. he creates an atmosphere that not only literally resonates within the soundscape, but goes beyond the audible into the very essence of what created the sound. just look at this bit from Come to Daddy..

that scream is seriously mindblowing/soulshattering on so many levels.

they hav similar approaches, i guess. cunningham is just sort of more ..human.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

So I just got the Spike Jonze dvd.  Worth the money just for the Fatlip video.  I still have some exploring to do with the other directors.  Is there a list of what videos are on each disc?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

P, I've been looking for that pic for a while...the biggest image that stayed in my mind after seeing the video.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

NEON MERCURY

Who directed the u can't touch this......and ice ice baby video(s)....?????

are they one in the same?